Any info re: Embassy Suites South, LAX?

silverfoxcruiser

I tried a search and did not find any previous info. We will be staying over one night after our cruise and need a safe, clean, not outrageously expensive hotel. I used to live in this area and wonder if it is safe to walk to the Strand Area during the day. I would appreciate all info. TIA! Silver:cool:

So...

I'm going to quote you:

I used to live out there -- Hermosa and Redondo areas, just across PCH. In fact, on S. Francisco Ave, next to Joe's. We will be arriving San Pedro 11/3 and booked to return on 11/4. I'm hoping to find a clean, decent, reasonable hotel in the area. DH is not really a walker, but I can do a LOT of miles, particularly if I'm close to the ocean. Those maps are so misleading...how far is it to the Strand? Really appreciate your input. Silver

...and answer you here (to keep it on your original thread)...;)

Okay, so sounds like you lived on S. FranciscA Ave (;) ) north end of Redondo near the Redondo Beach Pier, south of the border of Hermosa!

So, I can totally help you out here, but I need a bit more info...

#1 I'm reading that you want a "clean, decent, reasonable hotel in the area" - but I'm not sure what that means?:confused:

There are quite a few good options that could work for you between LAX and San Pedro, but what do you want exactly?

#2 What is your ideal goal here?

I do totally understand and "get it" if you want to stay around your old stomping grounds to show your DH where your history...

That can be accomplished (or whatever else you are looking for here)

#3 Are you driving, shuttling, taxi-ing, renting a car?

Wanting to see or have easy access to a certain area (The Strand)?

A bit more info on all of your ideals, and I can help you easily:D ...

Get back to me.

It was right at the bottom of S. Francisca Ave -- have eaten at Joe's many times. :o In checking TripAdvisor, so many mixed messages about the Best Westerns in Redondo -- don't want a fleabag or undesirable location. Would like to stay somewhere in South Bay and see all the changes. Already have a Super Shuttle lined up from San Pedro and would like to get dropped off at hotel. A Strand (or few blocks away) location would be my ideal. Can rent a car if necessary, but don't really want to. Taxis can suffice. Don't really want to pay more than $150 (revisiting my youth, you know?:p) but don't tell DH the price I quoted:eek: ! Thanks so much!! Silver:cool: Anything decent, clean, close to the Strand, but Redondo really is my preference.

You mean this isn't your only job?? JK, of course. I appreciate any help you can give. Silver :cool: BTW, we're in different time zones. Although I'm not a Southerner, I'm in TX -- and a very sincere BLESS YOUR HEART!! (and energy, helpfulness, sincerity, and willingness to assist!!

It was right at the bottom of S. Francisca Ave -- have eaten at Joe's many times. :o In checking TripAdvisor, so many mixed messages about the Best Westerns in Redondo -- don't want a fleabag or undesirable location. Would like to stay somewhere in South Bay and see all the changes. Already have a Super Shuttle lined up from San Pedro and would like to get dropped off at hotel. A Strand (or few blocks away) location would be my ideal. Can rent a car if necessary, but don't really want to. Taxis can suffice. Don't really want to pay more than $150 (revisiting my youth, you know?:p) but don't tell DH the price I quoted:eek: ! Thanks so much!! Silver:cool: Anything decent, clean, close to the Strand, but Redondo really is my preference.

Yes, see that's one of the problems with that website (even though I think it's technically "connected" now to CC) is that most hotels seem to get overwhelmingly negative reviews no matter what.

It seems that it's always mostly people complaining there...

(I realized this long ago when I started reading through reviews of hotels that I personally visit or stay at on a regular basis - and I'm astounded and utterly perplexed on how they could have stayed in the same hotel that I did!)

Kind of like when you read two completely different reviews or takes on the exact same cruise that two different people were on at the same time.

At any rate, I say take most of those with a grain of salt, but I'm going to give you my personal (as in I've been there) suggestions for what you want.

#1 If you want to "splurge" a bit my absolute favorite is the Crowne Plaza Redondo Beach Marina on Harbor.

I'm finding $199 rates on the Internet for your time. Great location, fantastic balconies...

#2 For the exact equal location for less money right across the street...

Best Western Sunrise Hotel at Redondo Pier also on Harbor.

Nice, decent, you get the prime location, and just bear in mind.

It is a Best Western, so don't expect The Ritz.

Personally I've been there, and have never had any of the "issues" (which all seem nit picky and minor to me) that some of the TripAdvisor people are saying.

The Best Western Redondo Beach Inn is okay, but you don't get the bonus of the location.

Redondo Beach Best Western Galleria is in the boonies, so forget that one.

#3 Just for you only!

You've got to be a cool person, or a previous local to understand the charm of this one, but I personally love love love

The Sea Sprite Motel

http://www.seaspritemotel.com/

It is like staying in your own literal ocean front surfer beach front apartment. Great balconies, The Strand is at your front door.

It's older, but well kept for it's age, and always featured on TV in such shows as Monk and The OC.

But again, don't expect the ritz, but like staying in a cool friend's apartment and both times I've stayed there it was very clean.

This would be only if you want to be right at the action, and everything right there.

Those are my best suggestions for now, or maybe confirming your previous thoughts on the Best Western Redondo Pier.

I'm out for now, but let me know what you think or have any more questions.

Curt -- Thank you so much -- going to the Sea Sprite -- I'm so excited!! Their prices, even for summer, are reasonable. We're staying at the Crown Plaza, San Pedro, based on your postings, and the Sea Sprite looks great. You're TERRIFIC!!! Silver:cool: Edited to add -- I love their FAQ section (vacations are for humans, silly)

Archived