Clarification on MSC drinks questions

trekarious

I know there has been a LOT of posting on this topic, but it is spotty and often dated, so I thought I would ask all the questions in one place. If there is a similar post please feel free to just direct me to it.

1) I've seen tossed around that the drinks packages, if purchased PRIOR to boarding, save you from the 15% service charge. I've also seen that they don't if you're not 21 days in advance. I've seen that the vouchers don't get you out of the service charge, and I've seen posts that said pre-purchasing the drink tickets you won't get charged the 15%. Could someone please clarify when, and how, you avoid paying the service charge?

2) How good of a deal is the all-inclusive package, really? I can see that basically it works out to 5 alcoholic drinks per person, but what else is not included in the regular dining that you'd need a drink package for, coffee, juice, etc? Thoughts on value?

3) Are the Caribbean cruises billed in USD or EUR?

4) We are going to be on board for New Year's Eve. Does anyone know if MSC provides libations for special celebrations at all, or are you on your own?

5) We booked a pair of rooms with my boyfriend's parents, and they added additional people to our traveling 'group' but we didn't get any sort of a package price. Does this mean, then, that we won't be able to purchase a drinks package for just one room if they wanted to? Or anyone know exactly how that works?

Man I know I had a couple more questions but I can't think of them right now.

Thanks!

I know there has been a LOT of posting on this topic, but it is spotty and often dated, so I thought I would ask all the questions in one place. If there is a similar post please feel free to just direct me to it.

1) I've seen tossed around that the drinks packages, if purchased PRIOR to boarding, save you from the 15% service charge. I've also seen that they don't if you're not 21 days in advance. I've seen that the vouchers don't get you out of the service charge, and I've seen posts that said pre-purchasing the drink tickets you won't get charged the 15%. Could someone please clarify when, and how, you avoid paying the service charge?

This seems to be a moving goal post depending on your home area and the area you are due to cruise in, it keeps changing

2) How good of a deal is the all-inclusive package, really? I can see that basically it works out to 5 alcoholic drinks per person, but what else is not included in the regular dining that you'd need a drink package for, coffee, juice, etc? Thoughts on value?

Allegrissimo Adult; Basic or Classic (The name depends on cruising area) also include most coffees; bottled water; real ice cream in a cone or tub; most smoothies and shakes from the ice cream bar,

At £22 (~$33) pppd it is very good value

With the average cocktail at £4.50 ($6.75) not including 15% service, it only takes 5 cocktails to save money,draught beer is £3 ($4.5) a glass soft drinks £2.00 ($3.00)

So say you drink 4 soft drinks (4 x $3) , 2 beers (2 x $4.5); 2 glasses of wine (2 x $5) and 2 coffees (2 x $2) a day that would be $35.if you pay service charge then that would be $40. Of course there are also cocktails, bottled water, for off the ship, and you might want an icecream, which would mean you get excellent value for money.

i've had to best guess from the european prices (2014 list) to get the USD equivalent, so my figures are an estimate.

here is the official wording ( from the UK site )

ALLEGRISSIMO ADULT - ALL INCLUSIVE UNLIMITED DRINKS Drink all you want, where you want, in total freedom and with a light heart! Unlimited consumption of alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks, including a wide range of drinks and cocktails from the bar list, a dedicated selection of wines by the glass, draught beer, an extensive selection of sodas, fruit juices and classic hot beverages (coffee e...spresso, cappuccino…) as well as takeaway ice cream in a cone or cup. The following items are not included in this offer: cigars, cigarettes, champagne, premium brands, mini bar, water in your cabin, room service, souvenir glasses and all food on payment. Some of the drinks from our bar and wine lists are excluded from Allegrissimo package; those items are indicated with an asterisk. The drinks included in the package can be consumed in all bars and restaurants, including the speciality restaurants and themed venues. * Book before you depart to get the best possible deal. The package is valid for every day of the cruise and cannot be purchases on a daily basis. It must be booked by all guests occupying the same cabin, or just travelling together and wishing to eat at the same table, including minors - between 3 and 17 years of age (i.e. who have not yet reached their 18th birthday) or, between 3 and 20 years of age (i.e. who have not yet reached their 21st birthday) for the Caribbean departures), who must book the Child version of the package. The package is not obligatory for Infants under 3 years old (i.e. who have not yet reached their 3rd birthday). The price of the package applies to each day of the cruise except the day of disembarkation. The package is for personal use only and valid for one order at a time. The ID card is non-transferrable. Abusing the terms of the all-inclusive package may cause the service to be withdrawn and the remaining days not to be refunded.

3) Are the Caribbean cruises billed in USD or EUR?

USD

4) We are going to be on board for New Year's Eve. Does anyone know if MSC provides libations for special celebrations at all, or are you on your own?

5) We booked a pair of rooms with my boyfriend's parents, and they added additional people to our traveling 'group' but we didn't get any sort of a package price. Does this mean, then, that we won't be able to purchase a drinks package for just one room if they wanted to? Or anyone know exactly how that works?

SEE the underlined italisied words in the above quote

AS you are a group if you all sit at the same table it's everybody or nobody gets the drinks package; no some do some don't

Man I know I had a couple more questions but I can't think of them right now.

Thanks!

Hope this answers most of your concerns

Pete

NB note the asterisk in the official wording, it may indicate that there is no service charge, just my interpretation

Edited by Skier52