Should I get off the ship in Mazatlan?

ocwine04

Hello experts! We have a family of 4 including 2 kids (7 & 4), we are travelling with my parents (75 & 82) and my sister and husband. We are taking the Las Caletas excursion in PV and we are going to a beach and lunch in Cabo. I am a little weary of Mazatlan just because 3 years ago our cruise wasn't even stopping there because of all the problems, so I am contemplating just staying on the ship and enjoying an uncrowded pool with a nice leisurely lunch on the ship. We don't want to do an excursion, but I was wondering if there was something simple and fun that we can do in Mazatlan. Like is there a nice beach nearby where maybe we can just spend a couple of hours or some shopping near the ship? If there is something quick and easy I would like to do it, but if not, maybe I should just enjoy another day on the ship. It seems like at the end of every cruise I always feel like I wish I had more time on the ship. My sister and I have also been to Mazatlan in our 20s, so we have kind of "been there" with the bar thing, so I am OK with not seeing Senior Frogs and all those places again. ha! We will be there next week, so I am looking at a late November visit.

TIA for your help! :)

Should you get off the ship at Mazatlan? In my opinion, the answer is Yes!

I know you've visited before, but have you ever taken a tour in a Pulmonia (open air, golf cart sized taxis)? We did this and were able to check out many interesting venues. Places like the Historic District, the Lighthouse, Plazuela Machado, Zona Dorado, the Mercado, and Ice Box Hill (great photo ops). You can also take a tour of the Pacifico Brewery, or stroll the miles of beaches, with public art and sculptures all along the water's edge. We've had great dining experiences too--a favorite was lunch at El Papagayo at the Inn at Mazatlan. Too yummy for words!

I know that for some, Mazatlan is not as exciting and bustling as Puerto Vallarta or as "Americanized" as Cabo, but I think it has its own charm, and I enjoyed it very much. Conditions have improved a lot, and that's why the cruise lines are returning to this port of call.

That said, if you've done all you wish to do in Mazatlan, then by all means, stay on board and enjoy the luxury of a quiet ship. :)

Whatever you decide, have fun on your cruise! :D

ETA: As to getting to Stone Island, you can get there by water taxi (near the ferry terminal?). Do a search on these boards, or Google for directions.

Should you get off the ship at Mazatlan? In my opinion, the answer is Yes!

I know you've visited before, but have you ever taken a tour in a Pulmonia (open air, golf cart sized taxis)? We did this and were able to check out many interesting venues. Places like the Historic District, the Lighthouse, Plazuela Machado, Zona Dorado, the Mercado, and Ice Box Hill (great photo ops). You can also take a tour of the Pacifico Brewery, or stroll the miles of beaches, with public art and sculptures all along the water's edge. We've had great dining experiences too--a favorite was lunch at El Papagayo at the Inn at Mazatlan. Too yummy for words!

I know that for some, Mazatlan is not as exciting and bustling as Puerto Vallarta or as "Americanized" as Cabo, but I think it has its own charm, and I enjoyed it very much. Conditions have improved a lot, and that's why the cruise lines are returning to this port of call.

That said, if you've done all you wish to do in Mazatlan, then by all means, stay on board and enjoy the luxury of a quiet ship. :)

Whatever you decide, have fun on your cruise! :D

ETA: As to getting to Stone Island, you can get there by water taxi (near the ferry terminal?). Do a search on these boards, or Google for directions.

Wow, you nailed it. I cannot add anything to your post, other than I heartily agree.