Can this all be done in one day?

forloveoftravel

Hi everyone, and thank you in advance for your assistance! I am putting together our own tour of the things we would like to see and do during our one day in port. Our ship will be in Barbados in early December, on a Monday, from 7 am to 4 pm.

We want to see (listed in descending order from "must see" to would like to include if possible):

Harrison's Cave / tram tour (1 hr tour)

Welchman Hall Gully to see the beauty and the monkeys (30 mins??)

The Bean to Bar Tour at Agapey Chocolate Factory (1 hr 15 min)

North Point Animal Flower Cave (And perhaps have lunch there) (30 mins? plus lunch time)

See some of Bridgetown (30 mins?)

Perhaps a short visit to the Earthenwork's Pottery Store

Hopefully whichever route we devise will allow for some short photo stops at Bathsheba, Codrington College, St John's Parrish (suggestions?)

My plan is to find a private guide to take us to these places; or to pre-determine our route and activities, and then hire a taxi upon arrival (negotiating a flat rate on site).

Is this overly ambitious? I am not sure how much time is needed for travel between the sites and around the island, and I don't want to be too rushed at the places we ultimately decide to include on our excursion. We want to find that balance between getting a real feel for the island and not just running from place to place. Thoughts?

Thanks again for your help!

Hi everyone, and thank you in advance for your assistance! I am putting together our own tour of the things we would like to see and do during our one day in port. Our ship will be in Barbados in early December, on a Monday, from 7 am to 4 pm.

We want to see (listed in descending order from "must see" to would like to include if possible):

Harrison's Cave / tram tour (1 hr tour)

Welchman Hall Gully to see the beauty and the monkeys (30 mins??)

The Bean to Bar Tour at Agapey Chocolate Factory (1 hr 15 min)

North Point Animal Flower Cave (And perhaps have lunch there) (30 mins? plus lunch time)

See some of Bridgetown (30 mins?)

Perhaps a short visit to the Earthenwork's Pottery Store

Hopefully whichever route we devise will allow for some short photo stops at Bathsheba, Codrington College, St John's Parrish (suggestions?)

My plan is to find a private guide to take us to these places; or to pre-determine our route and activities, and then hire a taxi upon arrival (negotiating a flat rate on site).

Is this overly ambitious? I am not sure how much time is needed for travel between the sites and around the island, and I don't want to be too rushed at the places we ultimately decide to include on our excursion. We want to find that balance between getting a real feel for the island and not just running from place to place. Thoughts?

Thanks again for your help!

We just recently did a tour with Glory Tours in Barbados and went to Harrison's Caves, Welchman Hall Gully, Bathsheba this was a 1/2 day tour for us.... Other's with us went on to lunch and to swim with the turtles....Glory Tours is a great company and will pick you up inside the port...we were on a group tour but they may also do private tours...Best of luck and enjoy !!

We just recently did a tour with Glory Tours in Barbados and went to Harrison's Caves, Welchman Hall Gully, Bathsheba this was a 1/2 day tour for us.... Other's with us went on to lunch and to swim with the turtles....Glory Tours is a great company and will pick you up inside the port...we were on a group tour but they may also do private tours...Best of luck and enjoy !!

Hi Ashland. Thank you very much for the suggestion! Based on all of the wonderful reviews here, I reached out to Glory Tours and am waiting for a response. Hopefully I will hear from them soon. At this point, I'm just trying to get a feel for how close together (or far apart) everything is so that I can figure out what is a reasonable itinerary for the day. Thanks!

Does anyone know the island well enough to say whether I am on the mark, or way off base in what I am trying to do? I ran the basic itinerary through google maps, and it indicates about 2 hours and 20 minutes of driving time - but I'm not sure whether that accounts for the terrain, likely traffic, etc. Also, I'm not sure whether my time estimates for how long is needed at each location is accurate. Any advice or assistance would be greatly appreciated!

I am planning to do a similar own tour but planning to rent a car (a moke). I want to do Harrison cave first thing then probably drive to Bathsheba and have a look on the beach there then drive to Animal flower cave and drive back down to Bridgetown on the coast.

That might be stretching to do all of it in one day if you're driving and don't have good routes planned. By my 6th day on the island, I was a champ. Days 1-3 I was very nervous with the lack of signage and trying to drive on the other side.