cruise and genealogy

Markanddonna

Hi,

I'm planning on doing some research in the Boston area (mostly Ipswich) this fall and it just occurred to me that a New England cruise out of Boston, last minute might just work. We were going to drive from Ohio and leave our car in the cruise lot which seems the best idea at this point.

Are there any hotels close to Ipswich/Salem that might shuttle us out to the port? Do you have any recommendations for an inexpensive hotel/motel if we just decide to park at the port?

Are there any days to avoid in the Boston area these two months?

Thanks!

Could you be more precise about the dates you would be in the area and the date you might cruise? It sounds like you might be here for a while, so more long term accommodations might be what you need to look for. You should be able to find long term rentals in the Ipswich, Essex, Rockport, and Gloucester area because of all the summer rental properties.

Parking at the port is $16/day which is actually very reasonable. There are very few hotels which offer both parking and a port shuttle and they tend to be located in the more fringe areas like Dorchester and Quincy.

Boston hotels are very pricey. If you based yourselves in one of the North Shore towns mentioned above, you would have access to MBTA train service to get into Boston for day trips.

We haven't booked a cruise yet but are interested in our very first "last minute cruise" ever. I'm the ultimate planner, usually planning a cruise when it first opens up. This is outside my comfort zone. I'm looking at anything between Labor Day and mid- October.

I'm starting to think that booking something close to Ipswich is the best best and then just driving to the port and parking there. I agree that their rates are pretty reasonable considering we usually have a flight and shuttle to deal with on every other cruise.

Thanks for any advice on a rental. Is there a company you could recommend?

If you google Ipswich Ma vacation rentals, you will come up with a number of sites like VRBO that offer rentals by owner. Most rates should drop after Labor Day. You can also try Craig's list for Boston.

There a a lot of second home properties in this area - we have friends with a place on Long Beach in Rockport. Many owners rent out their houses when they aren't using them and many properties have an extra space that has been converted into an apartment. It's very much a word of mouth and answering ads kind of process.

Don't discount the towns around Ipswich like Essex. If you want to be on or near the ocean, look at Gloucester and Rockport. Downtown Rockport is incredibly picturesque.

If you're going on a cruise and then heading home to Ohio, parking at the pier is probably your best solution.

• 3 weeks later...

Just a cautionary note -- the September/early October sailings are to Quebec (sometimes Bermuda towards the end) Because they're a limited time offering, they do tend to book up.

As far as genealogy goes, you might want to check out the New England Historic Genealogical Society on Newbury Street in Boston (day pass $15), and the Archives building in Dorchester (right next to the Kennedy Library). Free admission, but copying is extra.

http://www.americanancestors.org/home.html

http://www.sec.state.ma.us/arc/arcgen/genidx.htm

If your Ipswich roots go deep into colonial times, you may find both these places very helpful.

Edited by DaisyGoldberg