Driving from Livorno to Portofino..need advise

greg33418

Hi all..

My wife and I are going to be on Azamara Jjourney in a couple of weeks and we have two full days in Livorno..

I have rented a car and we are planning to drive to Portofino the first day..It is supposed to be about two hours drive using the Autostrada which is OK, but I am wondering if a more leisurely drive up the coast might be more fun...am wondering how many hours that might take and what some of the "must sees" are along the way???

Day two...we have no interest in Florence or Pisa and would like some suggestions...I'm told Lucca is a pretty cool town...other ideas would be appreciated..

Thanks in advance..

Greg

Hi all..

My wife and I are going to be on Azamara Jjourney in a couple of weeks and we have two full days in Livorno..

I have rented a car and we are planning to drive to Portofino the first day..It is supposed to be about two hours drive using the Autostrada which is OK, but I am wondering if a more leisurely drive up the coast might be more fun...am wondering how many hours that might take and what some of the "must sees" are along the way???

Day two...we have no interest in Florence or Pisa and would like some suggestions...I'm told Lucca is a pretty cool town...other ideas would be appreciated..

Thanks in advance..

Greg

We would recommend sticking to the autostrade (which actually has some decent views and perhaps jumping onto the slow coastal route when you get closer to Portofino. As far as other destinations we could give you a long list of suggestions...but lets keep it simple and mention a few ideas. San Gimignano is one of our favorite towns for a nice walk. Volterra is also worth visiting. If you are into wine you might consider driving the so -called wine road which is the S222 (2 lane) road that runs south from Florence and winds through the lovely Chianti wine region.

Hank