Royston tours or Thenford Grey Tours?

jalinga

Any recent comments/criticism on either of these? I am not sure which one to go with. Both have said they will do what we want (we added Black Rocks to their tours) and are charging the same fee, but Royston's includes lunch. Not sure which one to do!!!

We thoroughly enjoyed Royston's tour, lunch when we went was just a Roti sandwich. This is a Caribbean style wrap, it was delicious and hit the spot but it still was just a sandwich. We were with Royston but met up with his cousins group at the beach for lunch. Some people didn't like the Roti at all.

I read somewhere that his lunch has changed. If the lunch is important to you it might be good to check the most recent reviews on tripadvisor.

• 2 weeks later...

We just got back from our 2 week Cruise on the Eclipse. I am compelled to write a brief review of our time with Royston. We were traveling with another couple and had booked Royston long ago. He is slow to respond to email, but he works at his own pace and I found him to be a very honorable person! His tour was the best we've had in the Caribbean! I to pondered between Royston and Thenford Grey, and I went with Royston because Thenford carries more people (up to 22) in his Vans. where Royston carries up to 8 and our tour was the 4 of us! He takes you to all the usual places and then some! We went up roads that he has found for great views and a true Island experience! If you are Lucky enough to book with him it will be a highlight of your Trip! Mark

We just got back from our 2 week Cruise on the Eclipse. I am compelled to write a brief review of our time with Royston. We were traveling with another couple and had booked Royston long ago. He is slow to respond to email, but he works at his own pace and I found him to be a very honorable person! His tour was the best we've had in the Caribbean! I to pondered between Royston and Thenford Grey, and I went with Royston because Thenford carries more people (up to 22) in his Vans. where Royston carries up to 8 and our tour was the 4 of us! He takes you to all the usual places and then some! We went up roads that he has found for great views and a true Island experience! If you are Lucky enough to book with him it will be a highlight of your Trip! Mark

Thank you so much for your comment. I did end up booking with Royston, and since we have 9-10 people, he lowered our per person rate, so it saves us a lot of money (with 5 people in our family). I am excited. He said his cousin Ashton will be driving us since we have a large group and it will only be us, so we can customize the tour as we want. July cannot come soon enough!!!

Thank you so much for your comment. I did end up booking with Royston, and since we have 9-10 people, he lowered our per person rate, so it saves us a lot of money (with 5 people in our family). I am excited. He said his cousin Ashton will be driving us since we have a large group and it will only be us, so we can customize the tour as we want. July cannot come soon enough!!!

Enjoy! Ask for the Chicken! It was outstanding. Royston said he just changed over to that. I posted a review on him Trip Advisor with photo's. Enjoy your time there, its a special place! Mark

• 2 weeks later...

We were very pleased with Ashton and his tour, he really wanted to please and we felt like we were in good hands. He deserved the tip we gave. We all wondered how on earth they made any money on that tour with paying our admissions, alcoholic & non beverages, gas all over & lunch. Great day.

The only odd part was trying to make the reservation through Royston and his responses, but in the end all was good.

Edited by CMM

We chose Rose and Jim's Taxi Service and cannot say enough great things about Rose! We met onboard and walked out a half hour early and she was already there waiting on us. She took us to all the sights, was a great driver and then when we didn't want to go to the beach, took us to see other sites. Her English accent was a plus and a great personality! Her van was spacious, clean and air conditioned. You can reach her at http://www.roseandjimstaxi.com For a 4 hour tour, it was $30 plus $10 to Brimstone Fortress. Have fun - St. Kitts is awesome!

We were very pleased with Ashton and his tour, he really wanted to please and we felt like we were in good hands. He deserved the tip we gave. We all wondered how on earth they made any money on that tour with paying our admissions, alcoholic & non beverages, gas all over & lunch. Great day.

The only odd part was trying to make the reservation through Royston and his responses, but in the end all was good.

Four years ago we wanted to book with Royston and he was already booked so we went with Ashton. Had the best time and tour with him. We added a few stops and he went everywhere. At that time there was just one price for the van for the entire day. We go again this May there will be four of us and a 2 year old. What is his current pricing like?

Thanks

Visited St. Kitts during the last week of January while on Quantum. Booked a private tour for 11 with Royston. Since we had a large group, we went with his cousin, Ashton. We had a great time. Ashton was very knowledgeable and friendly. We went to Romney Manor, Brimstone Hill Fort, Black Rocks and South Friars Beach.

Ashton picked us up a delicious BBQ chicken lunch and took us to a picnic table on a beach. The highlight of the tour.

I was nervous booking a private tour but everyone in my group is still thanking for a wonderful tour at a great price.

Four years ago we wanted to book with Royston and he was already booked so we went with Ashton. Had the best time and tour with him. We added a few stops and he went everywhere. At that time there was just one price for the van for the entire day. We go again this May there will be four of us and a 2 year old. What is his current pricing like?

Thanks

You need to contact him and request a quote. He will respond in a day or two (or 3) with his quote if he is available. There are two possibilities now, one is his old Toyoto van with no windows and no AC that can take up to 8 people or his cousin in an AC newer van that can hold 12 or 15 (not sure). Both get good reviews.

Some dates he does not work for religious reasons.

We never had a problem with him responding to our emails. We just returned from Indy with a tour with roysten. He actually did our trip in the open air van. It was an amazing day!!! If you are adventurous and love to see the "nooks and crannies" of the island, then this is the tour for you. The chicken is delicious, as well as a stop for a coconut cookie. Loved it all!!!!

• 3 weeks later...
You need to contact him and request a quote. He will respond in a day or two (or 3) with his quote if he is available. There are two possibilities now, one is his old Toyoto van with no windows and no AC that can take up to 8 people or his cousin in an AC newer van that can hold 12 or 15 (not sure). Both get good reviews.

Some dates he does not work for religious reasons.

I have been all over the Caribbean and Toured a Great Deal around the World as well, Royston was one of the Best Tours I've had and on the Day we were there in January, He Refused to take any payment for the tour of the 4 of us because it was a Religious Day to him!!!! Never had this happen to me before!!! We payed for our lunch and that was it. Do yourself a Favor and Book him, he is an interesting person!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

We had a bad experience with Thenford and would not recommend. Friends used Royston and I wish we had. We booked what we thought was a personal tour, we only ever book small personal tours as we do not like to go on bigger buses and also my husband has his own private tour company in Scotland so we know what we like. When we arrived at the dock we had to wait and were concern at the numbers waiting for Thenford. He then arrived and split us into groups, we were in a group of 20+. When I complained he was most rude and unhelpful. We ended up getting on his bus but felt his commentary was poor, the journey to the first stop took one hour when a car would take 5 mins, he kept stopping at places such as outside the university vet school? We ended up getting off at the fist stop and finding a local taxi driver who did the tour cheaper and was much better.