scooter friendly excursions: Roatan,Belize and Cozumel

LuckyBird

My family will be on the Carnival Magic in May and I am trying to figure out what excursions would be scooter friendly for me. I have Cerebral Palsy and use a scooter for distance, I am especially interested in the Amazing Race excursion in Cozumel and cave tubing, anyone out there with experience with these, or any ideas for me. My scooter is a Pride Go-Go that breaks down and can be put into a regular car trunk and I am traveling with my "Pit Crew" (Dad) to help with transporting it. Thanks for any advice.:)

I would say cave tubing in Belize would be a no-go for you as you have to walk about 15 minutes through the jungle over rough dirt trail with a lot of roots and such....this is why I passed on it on our last visit to Belize and let hubby do it on his own. I road my scooter down to the tender station and left it onboard, and took the Goff Caye excursion that the ship offered and spent time on the beach as I can walk short distances without assistance. In Roatan stayed in the Mahogany Bay area and shopped and used the beach there.

I've not been to Belize. In Roatan we went with Victor Bodden and were highly pleased with his services. We were given a driver/guide named Janette who was outstanding. You choose what you want to do. We chose to go to Victor's home and "play" with monkeys. You can choose to zip line but I don't have the ability to do that and DH was just past shoulder surgery so he passed on that as well. Snorkel, beach time, general sight seeing, shopping, etc. You can choose to do what ever you wish. In Cozumel we took a taxi to Chankanaab Park for a very enjoyable day. If you enjoy snorkeling, there is a man named Marco Ceh at the snorkel rental kiosk at the park who works for tips. He will assist you into and out of the water and snorkel with you. He brings fish food with him so you are surrounded with a variety of fish. I just laughed through the whole experience. Chankanaab also offers swim with (dolphins, manatees) experiences but I don't know about the accessibility there. The pathways were easy on my scooter and they have a beach wheelchair you can use (1st come, 1st serve).

Thanks for your quick responses, The walk in the jungle for cave tubing would probably not be a problem for me as long as it not a thirty minute hike that they try to condense into 15 minutes. :D. Really more concerned that the tour operators would refuse to transport the scooter or would take one look at me and say "NO Way". I am really pretty mobile, I work full time without the scooter, but long days in port walking and trying to keep up with everyone else wear me out. I also found the scooter handy on our last cruise when we had to deal with tropical storm Nicole. Nine to twelve foot waves do not mix well with balance issues.:D

Hi all,

The DW and I are trying to get her parents to take a cruise with us. My FIL would be in a wheelchair, but he can do some walking too. I read the items in this thread. The playing with monkeys sounds cool.

We are looking at a 5 day on RCCL to Cozumel and Belize.

Anyone done anything like the Submarine or glass bottom boats?

We are just trying to get ideas for excursions for him.

Thanks for any info.

Archived