NCL Photo Package for $149........

When we first started cruising in 2003 aboard NCL, they use to have a photo package for $149. This included every picture you could get yourself into. That first year my wife and I must of came home with 40 pictures. We use to hunt down the photographer on purpose. Not anymore. I think that was gone by 2005. Since then they've been charging $10-$20 per photo. How this makes any business sense is beyond me. They must throw away at least 80 percent of the photos taken. WHAT a TOTAL WASTE OF TIME AND MATERIALS. I'm no genius, but wouldn't it make more sense to charge $5 a photo and get rid of 80% of them. I know I would buy more. Plus you would have happier cruisers.

• 2 months later...

Last year we were on Celebrity and they wanted $19.95 for a 5X7. I don't think hardly anyone bought a photograph. If they charged $5 each, they would make WAY more $$$$$ on volume. I'm sure if they were $5 a photo we would have bought several. Especially now, with digital cameras it's so easy to have someone take a photo of you ( like the one the ship's photographer takes) y ou see it right away and if you like it and you want a 5X7, you can have printed at Walgreens or CVS for 99 cents!!!

I agree with marco's post completely. Even with today's digital photography, the ship photogs still print all of these 5x7's only to destroy them at the end of the cruise.

Worse, most people use their own digital cameras so they really don't need the ship photos except in rare situations.

If the ship would sell those 5x7's for $4.99, or even $9.99 each, I'd bet they'd sell a whole bunch more than twice as many photos.

The only smart thing I've seen lately are the video productions where generic videos of shipboard and shore activities showing many of the passengers are unique and can be worth the money.

It's amazing to me how these folks find every way under the sun to increase onboard revenues from just about everything but ignore this oh so obvious opportunity.