Dialysis at Sea

cjml

Karifromla: My dad is on dialysis and we used a medical supply company when he was doing PD. His supplies "didn't" make it on the ship and had to get off. We caught up with the ship in Panama. Since then we carried the supplies onto the ship. We live and cruise out of FL. My suggestion is if you are flying to the port, come a day ahead and contact Baxter Medical supply and have them delivered to your hotel room and then pack them in a suitcase. My dad is no longer on PD. He has been dialyzed in Cozumel - $800-$900. Had an interpreter who stayed with him, Grand Cayman (twice) $550 and Key West. A lady who travels with us had it done in St. Thomas (close to the port) and San Juan. This year he is going to get dialyzed in St. Thomas and San Juan.

As posted on other dialysis thread.....just booked EOS out of Bayonne, NJ and will be getting everything sorted out on Monday. Dialysis at Sea was very helpful in helping us to make up our mind. 9 days and most session will be on sea day with 2 day break like week-end. We have sailed EOS before and praying dialysis will be no problem. Thanks to all who contributed information. Judy

As posted on other dialysis thread.....just booked EOS out of Bayonne, NJ and will be getting everything sorted out on Monday. Dialysis at Sea was very helpful in helping us to make up our mind. 9 days and most session will be on sea day with 2 day break like week-end. We have sailed EOS before and praying dialysis will be no problem. Thanks to all who contributed information. Judy

I'm certain that you will have a wonderful trip.

Yoletta

Have all paper work "in the works". dialysis will be 6AM....same as what we do now, so far all seems to be falling into place. On-line check in completed...no problems there. May come back to this thread AFTER cruise (August) to let you all know how all went. I'm sure there are lots of folks out there in the same position as us and seeking information. Thanks to all who contributed to this thread. Judy

• 3 weeks later...

Two weeks till cruse time. All seems to be in order. Doctor has to sign off on approval. Physical exam scheduled. Seems to be no problems. Just have to get in the packing mood soon...... Still keeping positive attitude and REALLY looking forward to 9 days of relaxation; even tho 4 mornings will be dialysis.

Checked into health insurance......just may pay part, Medicare pays no part of it.....wish us luck!!

• 5 months later...

I know I have posted on 3 places; BUT, want those who are on dialysis to have as much information as possible.

I know we were fearful about 'dialysis at sea'...BUT, there was no problem. We will be doing two cruises in March and feel comfortable now that we have 'been there, done that'. Judy

So glad to hear the cruise was successful. Just thought I would add for people searching for this thread in the future that if you are a frequent traveller/cruiser who finds they have to go onto dialysis, that is definitely something to consider when deciding which type of dialysis to choose (hemo (HD) or peritoneal (PD or CPD or CAPD) ). I know not everyone has a choice, but if you are capable of it and able to, peritoneal means you can have a lot more flexibility. Can pretty much go on any cruise at any time with no added expense if you can do your own dialysis.

• 2 weeks later...
I know I have posted on 3 places; BUT, want those who are on dialysis to have as much information as possible.

I know we were fearful about 'dialysis at sea'...BUT, there was no problem. We will be doing two cruises in March and feel comfortable now that we have 'been there, done that'. Judy

Thank you for posting your info, we have been looking at booking a cruise with Dialysis at Sea, as my Daughter requires Hemo-dialysis 3x's weekly. I think it is more comforting to know that this company provides medical staff that is specifically trained in patients on dialysis. She has had a lot of setbacks this past year, and she really would like to do something like this, I think we all need it :)

• 5 months later...
Thank you for posting your info, we have been looking at booking a cruise with Dialysis at Sea, as my Daughter requires Hemo-dialysis 3x's weekly. I think it is more comforting to know that this company provides medical staff that is specifically trained in patients on dialysis. She has had a lot of setbacks this past year, and she really would like to do something like this, I think we all need it :)

As of now, we have cruised 3 times with dialysis.....using the 'dialysis at sea' program, machines,doctor, nurses, tech.....and all has been SUCCESSFUL... VERY early in the morning which gives us the rest of the day to do as we wish. On all three cruises, couldn't have asked for friendlier medical staff....Explorer of the Seas, Freedom and Celebrity Silhouette. Next cruise is November on RCI Anthem of the Seas out of Bayonne, NJ. Have even cruised a couple of 3 night out of Pt. Canaveral...doing dialysis on Friday morning, sailing 4PM and returning Monday (we winter in Orlando area) early enough to get back to dialysis for the 11AM session. The staff in the Orlando area accommodate and move the 7AM session to 11AM...so we can do the 3 night. Insurance did cover the cost of one of the cruises; so far, working on the other ones. As posted Medicare pays nothing. Its just too bad the dialysis cruises are so limited. 2016 has nothing out of Pt. Canaveral....have to drive to Ft. Lauderdale. OH WELL. Judy

Hello,

Just want to let you all know that Princess do not store your dialysis solution in their storage area. Princess consider the medical solution as your personal luggage (belongings which you paid for). Princess store your luggage in your cabin. On a 15 days cruise, you will have approximately 30-35 boxes of solution.

Holland America Lines (cruise 3 times with PD; total of 97 days) did accommodate the storage for us. Cabin steward delivered the solution to the cabin as per our request. I have been told on CC that Cunard is another cruise line that will accommodate the storage.

Grace