NE & Canada Cruises - Best ports

Mewissy

I am considering purchasing a cruise for my parents for their 35th wedding anniversary. My mother has mentioned a number of times how she would love a cruise up the coast and to Canada. (We are from PA, so would want to leave from Bayonne/NYC, even Baltimore.)

As I'm researching the options between dates, ships, and cruiselines it looks like there are a lot of different ports that it could stop at.

Any recommendations on the best ports?

Also, would there be a big difference between September and October? I'm thinking it would be warmer in September, but maybe not as pretty because the foliage hasn't changed yet.

Any suggestions are welcome!:D

I am considering purchasing a cruise for my parents for their 35th wedding anniversary. My mother has mentioned a number of times how she would love a cruise up the coast and to Canada. (We are from PA, so would want to leave from Bayonne/NYC, even Baltimore.)

As I'm researching the options between dates, ships, and cruiselines it looks like there are a lot of different ports that it could stop at.

Any recommendations on the best ports?

Also, would there be a big difference between September and October? I'm thinking it would be warmer in September, but maybe not as pretty because the foliage hasn't changed yet.

Any suggestions are welcome!:D

Having been to Halifax on business several times, I can attest to that fine city ... very cultured, very British, a gorgeous city.

Also, if the chance comes for a port giving access to the Bay of Fundy (one of the largest tidal pools in the world), take advantage of it ... a true geological marvel.

Micahel

Bar Harbor and Halifax were two of our favorite ports on last year's Canada/NE cruise on Jewel of the Seas out of Boston. Of course, if you are sailing out of NJ or Baltimore and stop in Boston, that would rate very highly for so many reasons. Weather in New England is very unpredictable and temperatures can sometimes be higher in October (Indian Summer) than in September, so it is difficult to make any valid generalizations. Acadia National Park in Maine and Peggy's Cove as well as the City of Halifax itself are highlights of your stops in New England and Canada. Saint John, NB will give you access to the Bay of Fundy which is reputed to have the world's highest tides.

We're scheduled for our first cruise this September. I agree with all the comments mentioned. The Bay of Fundy and St. Martins in particular accessible from the Saint John port would be a wonderful stop. If you are still in the research phase, you might want to check to see if it will be low tide (or 1 1/2 hours before or after) if they want to visit the caves at St. Martins. The tide levels are available at http://www.waterlevels.gc.ca/cgi-bin...on=5&stnnum=65

My favorites are Bar Harbor, Newport, and Boston. If you cruising to see foliage, you should consider an early October cruise for the best chance of that.

Since BH is on the doorstep to Acadia National Park with its forested areas, this would be a must port of call on any cruise to see foliage, JMO.

SBtS

Bar Harbor and Halifax get my vote for favorites although there's not one I'm not looking forward to going back to, some for 3rd time.. Each has its own charm, delicious seafood, walkable and scenic...

But if your talkin' going all the way into Canada, then Quebec City hands down.. one of my fav places in the world, been back 5 times. But that needs to be a ship that overnights or preferable starts/ends there so you can spend at least an extra 2 days.

Archived