Local Food: West Side Or Punda

kcfoxy

A group of 6 will be utilizing Dushi Taxi with Natasja for our first-ever visit to Curacao. We want to try some local food rather than burgers, hot dogs, pizza we can get anywhere.

I have been researching on my own as well as reading the CC boards for our 4 island stops. For Curacao we will be visiting a few beach overlooks on the Westpunt and stopping for a bit of shopping once we return to the port area.

So far Landhuis Dokershuin (Komedor Krioyo) has been mentioned. 2 of our party use wheelchairs for distance and quad cane for short (a block or so) distances. The photos I've found show a rather large flight of stairs at the front of this eatery.

Next, have been looking at Plaza Bieu, open air cafeteria type stalls. On the bucket list are conch, goat stew, roti, arepa de pumpuna, red snapper (mero if you please) and Baidos.

Our price range is moderate. I also see mention of Jaanchie's, and wondered the pros and cons of each, and opinion of locals or frequent visitors as to the best...taste trumping service.

For shopping, want to bring back some lovely Gouda Cheese and Dutch chocolate. Thanks in advance for any help! :p

How do you know the food is safe and clean there, I looked at photos of the place and the pans were filthy really old stains and such, can somebody guarantee the food there be safe for us to eat because we would like to try it but afraid.

How do you know the food is safe and clean there, I looked at photos of the place and the pans were filthy really old stains and such, can somebody guarantee the food there be safe for us to eat because we would like to try it but afraid.

I'm a local and we eat there weekly. Every day there are hundreds of people eating at the Plasa Bieu and we're all perfectly fine.

While the pans might be old, they are certainly NOT filthy.

But if you're afraid, it might be best if you choose another place to eat.

Isa I was hoping you come here and let me know how it is there, I am so glad to hear what you said here, yes true, sometimes stains just don't come off of pots...I am jumping for joy here because now I am going to try it but now the problem is which one to choose, how do I possibly choose there are many lol. Im so glad to eat what the locals eat!! Part of the pleasure of going to different places. :p

It's about a 15 - 20 minute walk from the pier. Not a bad walk if you're used to walking.

When you exit the Riffort Village (cruise port), you will need to go over the swinging bridge. Take an immediate left and keep walking with the water on your left hand side.

You will pass the floating market, keep straight.

You will pass a tall round building, which is the "new" market. Keep going.

Still on your left hand side, you will see the Postal Office.

Plasa Bieu is the next building when you walk past the Postal Office.