Boredom on a Fred Ship?

Julessmiles

I'm intrigued by some people's responses to the person who asked for an opinion of whether her 19 & 20 year old would enjoy a Fred Cruise. Some people replied saying that they would be bored on a Fred Ship.

I would just be interested as to why anyone would be bored on a cruise? Surely cruising is about relaxing at sea days, venturing off the ship & seeing all the ports & destinations & enjoying the good food, drinks, entertainment & company onboard?

Is it that some of the older generation don't want younger people onboard?

This is a genuine question; I'm not being facetious.

Thanks

I'm intrigued by some people's responses to the person who asked for an opinion of whether her 19 & 20 year old would enjoy a Fred Cruise. Some people replied saying that they would be bored on a Fred Ship.

I would just be interested as to why anyone would be bored on a cruise? Surely cruising is about relaxing at sea days, venturing off the ship & seeing all the ports & destinations & enjoying the good food, drinks, entertainment & company onboard?

Is it that some of the older generation don't want younger people onboard?

This is a genuine question; I'm not being facetious.

Thanks

I had really hoped for some replies after so many 'views'. :confused:

Hi Jules, As I said on the other thread, there were several teenagers on our first Fred cruise and they certainly didn't seem bored. On our last cruise to the Canaries last month, there were two teenage boys with their families and they certainly seemed to be enjoying themselves.

I too, have sometimes got the impression on these boards that some people do not want children on Fred cruises. I don't think that is the general feeling on the ships though. Fred.Olsen cruise lines are very welcoming to everyone - even moaners :rolleyes:

Hi juless."..........I was one of the people who responded with a no to the original poster.

There are many reasons why.

You have to generalise as you don't know the op's and family specific requirements or "wants" from a cruise. So therefore you have to ask yourself would a 20 year old enjoy the entertainement on a Fred Cruise. Ie Ballroom Dancing, Dolphin Racing, Quizes, evening Shows that match a 50 plus audience.

So in general the answer in no.

Now I agree i cruise for the reasons you state, but I am not sure the majority of 20 year olds would list those. I agree parents would like to think they do.

Now like it or not, and I am not ashamed of this but we try to cruise on adult only or lines that are not "family" oriented. The reason, we enjoy an adult atmosphere.

So if people ask a general question they get a general answer.

And finally the reason we cruise with Fred is that we will be cruising with like minded and generally adults.

Sorry if that defines me as a moaner, but does that mean the Adult only P and O ships are full of moaners. I can assure they are not.

By the way we always holidayed with our two children and never once put them into the kids club. We travelled the world with them up to around 16 years of age, they then took there own paths.

Sorry if I sound somewhat "victor meldrew" but you did ask..........:-)

Hi Jules, As I said on the other thread, there were several teenagers on our first Fred cruise and they certainly didn't seem bored. On our last cruise to the Canaries last month, there were two teenage boys with their families and they certainly seemed to be enjoying themselves.

I too, have sometimes got the impression on these boards that some people do not want children on Fred cruises. I don't think that is the general feeling on the ships though. Fred.Olsen cruise lines are very welcoming to everyone - even moaners :rolleyes:

Hi Linda....."moaning adults" are certainly welcome as long as they are not sat on our Table in the MDR or sat next to us in the shows or in the jacuzzi when we are there, or on the tour coach or on the plane home.

Apart from there they are most welcome.........:-)

Edited by 1160451

Hi juless."..........I was one of the people who responded with a no to the original poster.

There are many reasons why.

You have to generalise as you don't know the op's and family specific requirements or "wants" from a cruise. So therefore you have to ask yourself would a 20 year old enjoy the entertainement on a Fred Cruise. Ie Ballroom Dancing, Dolphin Racing, Quizes, evening Shows that match a 50 plus audience.

So in general the answer in no.

Now I agree i cruise for the reasons you state, but I am not sure the majority of 20 year olds would list those. I agree parents would like to think they do.

Now like it or not, and I am not ashamed of this but we try to cruise on adult only or lines that are not "family" oriented. The reason, we enjoy an adult atmosphere.

So if people ask a general question they get a general answer.

And finally the reason we cruise with Fred is that we will be cruising with like minded and generally adults.

Sorry if that defines me as a moaner, but does that mean the Adult only P and O ships are full of moaners. I can assure they are not.

By the way we always holidayed with our two children and never once put them into the kids club. We travelled the world with them up to around 16 years of age, they then took there own paths.

Sorry if I sound somewhat "victor meldrew" but you did ask..........:-)

You don't sound like a 'Victor Meldrew' at all!

Fair answer & I appreciate your reply. We only started cruising with our kids since they were 9 & 12; they are now 14 & 17. We have never gone for the 'big lines' with non-stop entertainment for kids. We have gone on lines that provide a "kids club" but my 2 have never gone as they hate anything like that & hate organised rounding up of children & having to go off with a kids rep - they were horrified when we went on our first cruise & tongue in cheek I asked them if they wanted to join some of the other kids!

Having said that; they are both sociable, one of them is outgoing, the other is quieter & they both mix well with other teens & adults.

I think if your children are brought up to be "well-balanced" people, then they should fit into so many different aspects of life & this includes holidays!

We have taken our "kids" on weekend camping trips, youth hostelling, caravan & cottage holidays, canal boat holidays, hotel & apartment holidays, tour & stay in France, hotels in the UK & they enjoy every one of their holidays. They are given the choice of whether they want to come; they know what they are "letting themselves in for" but they have never yet turned down a holiday or trip with us - I think they enjoy the experience too much & they just love going to so many different places.

I understand what you are saying in that you chose lines that are more geared towards adults. Even with children, myself & my husband would really not like to go on a holiday absolutely full of hundreds of families; we have been lucky so far & always had a 'happy medium" even traveling in school holiday times; we chose our holidays well & have never been snowed under by lots of children and yet my teens have always found others of a similar age to mix with if & when they wanted!

We have all met some lovely people on the holidays & cruises we have been on & fortunately not come across too many 'moaners'.

Thank you for your reply. I have booked onto one of Fred's "Taster cruises" with a friend fairly soon so I shall look forward to getting a small idea of what the ships & entertainment will be like :) ;)

Thanks for your reply Linda. Good to hear that all ages - moaning or not - are welcomed onboard!

Hoping I'm okay sticking my oar in here! :)

I've been with Fred twice, once when I was 14 and again when I was 18 and am going back on this year now I'm 21. I like going on cruises with my parents to spend more time with them, and as long as I can sit by the pool with a book in one hand and a drink in the other, there's a nice bar and nice food, I'm quite happy with any cruise ship! As amazing as RCI ships look, I think when I have quite a simple taste for holidays they'd be wasted on me :P

I can appreciate I am probably in a minority here considering most people my age (including my sister) would rather be on all-singing-all-dancing ships but I think if you just want a holiday to relax and get away from home I don't see why any cruise would be boring.

Edited by ginaRAWR

Hoping I'm okay sticking my oar in here! :)

I've been with Fred twice, once when I was 14 and again when I was 18 and am going back on this year now I'm 21. I like going on cruises with my parents to spend more time with them, and as long as I can sit by the pool with a book in one hand and a drink in the other, there's a nice bar and nice food, I'm quite happy with any cruise ship! As amazing as RCI ships look, I think when I have quite a simple taste for holidays they'd be wasted on me :P

I can appreciate I am probably in a minority here considering most people my age (including my sister) would rather be on all-singing-all-dancing ships but I think if you just want a holiday to relax and get away from home I don't see why any cruise would be boring.

Thank you for your comments Gina - well said & Happy Cruising!

Hi Linda....."moaning adults" are certainly welcome as long as they are not sat on our Table in the MDR or sat next to us in the shows or in the jacuzzi when we are there, or on the tour coach or on the plane home.

Apart from there they are most welcome.........:-)

:D:D:D

Wasn't getting at you, but there were a few on our last Fred cruise and really nothing to moan about :rolleyes: One was moaning about the food. Well we thought it was fab -u -lous :)