SF 2.5 days: 48 Hop, 24 Hop or muni pass?

Flafun888

Hoping I can get some advice re: 3 options I'm debating for a 2.5 day San Francisco visit. My DH and I love lots of walking around, activities and sightseeing but I know we’ll get frustrated if we're constantly trying to figure out where we're going or keep getting lost. (We live in a suburban area and drive everywhere, so navigating public transit isn’t something we’re used to.)

Which of the 3 options below may be our smartest choice?

1. 48 hr hop on/hop off tic as our "transportation" the entire time –stay on the full loop once, then use it the rest of the time in place of trolleys and buses to get to desired areas?

2. 24 hour hop on/off for day one, then 1 day muni pass next day?

3. Or 3-day muni pass entire time, because it’s pretty easy to figure out your way around, even as a newbie tourist?

It's also important to mention that we’re staying at a hotel in the historical area that states it is “close to the corner of Powell Street, near terminus for the cable car to the waterfront district, and close to the MUNI metro station.”

The cost difference of hop on vs muni isn’t a concern: I just want to do what makes the most sense to help us enjoy our stay. Thanks for any advice!

We locals call Muni: Munisrable.

We actually passed a law that requires it to have an on time performance of 90% and it barely gets 60%. That was 10 years ago and billions later. Has the slowest fleet speed average in the nation: 4 mph.

But its cheap, you get the local feel & smell, it takes you where you want to go...eventually ;)

Hint: Ask the Muni driver to let you know when your next stop is and sit close up front, try not to look at maps or your iThingy too much while on the streets.

We locals call Muni: Munisrable.

We actually passed a law that requires it to have an on time performance of 90% and it barely gets 60%. That was 10 years ago and billions later. Has the slowest fleet speed average in the nation: 4 mph.

But its cheap, you get the local feel & smell, it takes you where you want to go...eventually ;)

Hint: Ask the Muni driver to let you know when your next stop is and sit close up front, try not to look at maps or your iThingy too much while on the streets.

Thanks for your perspective as a local. Do you think with just 2.5 days to soak up as much as possible, the hop on/hop off would be more efficient or easier from a tourist's perspective? Only stop at the places we'll likely want to visit?

Edited by Flafun888

I would do the hoho bus myself. The city can be confusing and congested to say the least. I would get a one day pass and spend the rest of the time doing some walking. SF is a great walking city, but do your research first. The hill can be tough if you are walking. On the day of embarkation unless you are in a hurry to board the ship, simply take a taxi to the port, drop off your luggage and then do some more walking along the Embarcaderro. Go to either pier 39 or to the ferry building which is towards the Bay bridge. I have walked in both directions in one day myself. I am pretty sure you can start dropping off luggage at around 10 am if that helps you any. If you get tired of walking the Embaraderro, they do have pedi-cabs all over that will take you back to the ship for a fee.

Thanks for your perspective as a local. Do you think with just 2.5 days to soak up as much as possible, the hop on/hop off would be more efficient or easier from a tourist's perspective? Only stop at the places we'll likely want to visit?

HOHO's are the best from a tourist perspective.

But you gotta ride the Cable Car :D operated by Muni

I would do the hoho bus myself. The city can be confusing and congested to say the least. I would get a one day pass and spend the rest of the time doing some walking. SF is a great walking city, but do your research first. The hill can be tough if you are walking. On the day of embarkation unless you are in a hurry to board the ship, simply take a taxi to the port, drop off your luggage and then do some more walking along the Embarcaderro. Go to either pier 39 or to the ferry building which is towards the Bay bridge. I have walked in both directions in one day myself. I am pretty sure you can start dropping off luggage at around 10 am if that helps you any. If you get tired of walking the Embaraderro, they do have pedi-cabs all over that will take you back to the ship for a fee.

Great advice...thank you.

HOHO's are the best from a tourist perspective.

But you gotta ride the Cable Car :D operated by Muni

Thanks! Will do! If it's walkable from another popular spot, was also thinking I'd try to squeeze in a peek at the cable car museum

Thanks! Will do! If it's walkable from another popular spot, was also thinking I'd try to squeeze in a peek at the cable car museum

Mason Street Cable Car line goes by right in front of the museum.

Hyde Street line is a block away.

Chinatown is two blocks east.

Nob Hill - Grace Cathedral is one block south (STEEP HILL WARNING).

Betty Ong Recreation Center is across the street. She was the FA that was able to call AA Operations telling them what was happening on board before the plane went into the World Trade Center.

Mason Street Cable Car line goes by right in front of the museum.

Hyde Street line is a block away.

Chinatown is two blocks east.

Nob Hill - Grace Cathedral is one block south (STEEP HILL WARNING).

Betty Ong Recreation Center is across the street. She was the FA that was able to call AA Operations telling them what was happening on board before the plane went into the World Trade Center.

Thanks so much! Think I'll cut and paste all this helpful info into one printed page to take with us. I hate trying to search for stuff on the smartphone when I'm trying to relax.