Traveling with a CPAP

CAROLS130

This is my first cruise with a CPAC. My machine has a humidifier and requires that I use distilled water. We are sailing on the Carnival Legend on 9/27 and I need to know if the water is distilled coming from the tap. I really do not want to carry it on and it is pretty expensive onboard. Also, what do you do about the daily cleaning of the tubes and nose piece. Any advice will be appreciated.

I travel with my Cpap machine and the cruise line will provide the distilled water for you, just notify the special needs department that you are bringing it. You may also want to bring a power strip and extension cord (not the lightweight one) depending on the placement of your bed to the desk where the outlet is.

The water coming out of the tap is potable and you could certainly use it for the hoses or use it in the humidifer. If you are worried just buy their water, it's only around $3 for a large jug of it.

This is my first cruise with a CPAC. My machine has a humidifier and requires that I use distilled water. We are sailing on the Carnival Legend on 9/27 and I need to know if the water is distilled coming from the tap. I really do not want to carry it on and it is pretty expensive onboard. Also, what do you do about the daily cleaning of the tubes and nose piece. Any advice will be appreciated.

I assume you're local to the cruise ship but just in case you're not, be sure to read the TSA information about bringing a CPAP machine through security as a carryon. It's very interesting reading regarding your rights.

I never realized Carnival charged for distilled water for a medical device? I know on Princess, you just send your request to fleet medical and it is supplied complimentary.

DH is quite picky about his CPAP machine and will only use distilled water in it no matter what the ships water is like.

Ask your CPAP manufacturer if it will be okay to use tap water in the machine for the week; it usually will be. The cruise line can provide distilled water for you, but in case there is a mix-up, knowing your machine will be fine with tap water will allow you to relax about it. :)

Do take your CPAP on the plane as a medical carry-on (which doesn't count towards your carry-on limit). They may make you take it out of the case like they do with laptops, but it is indeed allowed. I believe my friend with a CPAP also took a small bottle of distilled water with her in her CPAP bag (for the pre-cruise hotel stay of two nights) and it was allowed under the disability requirements for liquids. (I think she got the small bottle from her CPAP company, but I'm not certain on that.)

Also, ask the cruise line for an extension cord, since the plug in your cabin likely will not be near the bed! (You may also want to bring a power strip so you have more than the two or so plugs that will be in the room, like if you need to charge cell phones or other devices plus use the CPAP.) Be certain you find out if they require you to return it in person to the pursor's desk at the end of the cruise, as on RCCL my friend was told they would charge her $25 or something if it wasn't returned! Crazy.

I would bring an extension cord as the one lent to us by the cruiseline was not heavy duty and blew out my heating fuse on the humidifier. I always bring my own. I also have used the water on the ship for my humidifier without any mineral deposits in the container and without any trouble. Hope this helps.

It is interesting that now the TSA, upon request, when you bring your CPAP machine through security you can request that they clean the area they do the test in, they change their gloves before touching the machine, and use a new piece of sensor material when doing the explosives test. Also you don't have to remove your shoes if going through the Handicapped entrance in a wheelchair or scooter, with crutches etc.

• 8 months later...

I have traveled with Carnival twice with my CPAP. I found the simplest thing to do for distilled water was to get a couple of bottles (16.9oz) of drinking water and refill them with distilled. I then tucked that into the CPAP case and no one ever questioned what it was for. You should definitely take an extension cord as when I went the only room outlet was at the foot of the bed. (Either that or a ten foot hose- which I happened to have - whew!)

JATampa

Archived