Accessible cabin was available!

seeshore

We've been booked for Sept 5 on Freedom of the Seas for a couple of months now in an inside cabin on deck 8. Over the weekend I started to wonder where we would store the wheelchair in the cabin since this will be my first time traveling with it. I decided to give RCI a call last night mainly out of curiosity because I never thought at this date there would be any accessible cabins available. Much to my surprise, 2 cabins in cat. L were available on deck 10. I was able to book cabin 1657 for only $10.00 more pp (because I went up 1 cat.)

I am just thrilled to be able to book this cabin. It will make it so much easier for me to maneuver around. I do not use the chair 100% of the time but find I need it more and more as I wait for knee replacement surgery in the fall. I really need the surgery now but I finished chemo back in Feb. after surgery last Oct. and I just need to give myself a break from hospitals and treatment for awhile.

With all that said, I just wanted to share my good fortune and ask if anyone might have stayed in one of those cabins, and if so, would you have any pictures? TIA!!!!

That is good news for you! I noticed that since RC started requiring people who book H/C cabins to return a form describing their needs that the H/C cabins seem to be more available. The first three cruises that I took with my mom required booking at least a year in advance and sometimes trying 3 or 4 different weeks to find one with an available H/C cabin. Last cruise we were able to get our first choice of cabin and week.

Some people don't like the forms but I think they are a good idea. I didn't find that RC was asking for any personal or intrusive information. Also, in my opinion, having to return a form makes people who want to book the H/C cabins to have extra space think twice.

I haven't sailed on Freedom, but RC usually has very nice H/C cabins. There is plenty of maneuvering room. Most of the cabin doors are automatic so they open when you put your keycard into the slot. It's really handy for my mom to get in and out on her own, but I don't like that feature because the door doesn't have a deadbolt. If you don't want the staff to walk in on you, make sure you put the "DO NOT DISTURB" sign out. Also, make sure the door closes when you leave the cabin. We've had a couple that got stuck in the open position. The only other thing I don't like about H/C cabins is we've had the shower water run out into the cabin a couple of times. The drain is in the middle of the bathroom floor. If the floor is not sloped correctly or the ship starts rocking, the water can run under the bathroom door. A towel placed in front of the doorway stops that. Just don't leave anything on the bathroom floor that you don't want to have wet. I'm bad about dropping my dirty clothes in a pile on the floor when I take a shower. :o

My mom loves to cruise and finds cruising to be the easiest vacation for her. She can unpack once and can run around the ship on her own. Shore excursions are sometimes a problem, but with a little research, we've been able to find things she can do.

Have a fun cruise.

It's great that you were able to get an accessible cabin! I think it will make your cruising experience so much more pleasurable.

It's good to know that RC is being more proactive about assigning these. I'll have to look into them when I start planning my next cruise.

Hmmmm... never saw that form for our latest booking but then our cruise TA is our SIL and she is very aware of my wife's situation (right side hemiplegic, bad balance, needs shower bench, uses wheelchair most of the time except at home or short distances). On last cruise we gave up HC cabin for deal on regular balcony gaurantee and found that it was a real problem getting the chair (folded) into the cabin and then the space it took up just sitting. They got her a stool for the shower but the slippery floor was still dangerous. On first cruise the veranda stateroom we had was larger than the RCI balcony room so we did not know the chair would be such an issue.

For the next one SIL got my Mom (and Dad) an HC Balcony because by then Mom will likely be in wheelchair and not able to walk very far due to effects of terminal lung disorder (IPF). She's getting pretty slow now and on her last cruise she allowed herself to be taken on in a chair for boarding. Not sure how she handled that form but SIL got us adjoining balcony HC cabins. This far out it was either early enough or the forms are working but we were very happy either way to be close. SIL and my brother will be in another balcony down a ways and other brother and his wife in an inside not far away.

Sequim88 - You might want to verify that your SIL submitted your forms. I booked directly with RC so they emailed me the form to fill out. The agent that I spoke with told me that if the form was not returned within 45 days, our H/C cabin could be taken away. I don't know if they really enforce that or if they will contact you before taking your cabin away. I emailed my form back and got a confirmation that it was received.

The form had some basic questions like wheelchair size, is assistance needed in case of an emergency, etc. Your SIL might have already known the answers and took care of it. If not, make sure she asks RC to send the form and return it.

I received the form last night immediately after changing my reservation. Its rather basic but you can also add info if so desired. It states that the reason they ask you to fill it out is to better assist you on your cruise. The time frame it gives is to return it by fax at least 30 days prior to the cruise.

Thanks so much for all your responses and kind words!

I've been able to find a few pictures on various websites and it looks like the cabin will be perfect. Now if it only had a balcony...lol!

Archived