Trouble with Eating

My DH is recovering from tongue cancer. He can barely eat - but loves cruising. We must travel with a special diet for him that he takes through a feed tube in his stomach - so we need the special food (that only I can bring with me) an IV pole and the apparatus that we put the special food into and syringes to keep him and his apparatus clean.

Now I mentioned that he can barely eat - but he still wishes to eat in the dining room. However, what he can eat is mostly "mush" and he eats that very slowly (and in small amounts). I don't want to take this enjoyment (little that it is) away from him - but he can't keep up with the other diners as far as completing each meal course in the same amount of time.

Does anyone know if cruise ship will allow him into the dining room (for the early meal) because of his lack of speed in that area?:confused:

Brenda,

Have you contacted the special needs department of the cruise line. They can be a big help. When you talk with them don't forget to mention an extension cord for the kangaroo pump. There are some very "packable" IV poles available, but why pack one when you don't need to. Also remember to tell the airline that the feeding and associated hardware are medical devices and you should not be charged for them.

My DH is recovering from tongue cancer. He can barely eat - but loves cruising. We must travel with a special diet for him that he takes through a feed tube in his stomach - so we need the special food (that only I can bring with me) an IV pole and the apparatus that we put the special food into and syringes to keep him and his apparatus clean.

You should call the special needs department of the cruise line you're wanting to travel on...but I suspect you'll need to bring your own IV pole and medical equipment (and would need to learn how to keep it all clean). But you can ask! You would also need to work with them to store your special food, particularly if it needs refrigeration, as the "refrigerators" in most cabins aren't really cold enough most of the time to properly keep foodstuffs for any length of time.

Now I mentioned that he can barely eat - but he still wishes to eat in the dining room. However, what he can eat is mostly "mush" and he eats that very slowly (and in small amounts). I don't want to take this enjoyment (little that it is) away from him - but he can't keep up with the other diners as far as completing each meal course in the same amount of time.

Choose a cruise line that offers flexible dining .. some call it "freestyle" (NCL), some "anytime" (Carnival), some "my time", etc. -- which basically means you go to dinner when you want to, sit at a table by yourselves, eat at whatever pace suits you. You won't take up any time from anyone else, your servers will serve you when you're ready.

Does anyone know if cruise ship will allow him into the dining room (for the early meal) because of his lack of speed in that area?:confused:

The flexible dining will eliminate your need to eat at any specific time, and give you as much time as you need.

I hope he heals well and uneventfully!

we took our 4 year old daughter on ncl last year and po earlier this year. she does not eat and is fed by ng tub. we cruise due to the vast amount of feed equipment and syringes for medication, all we do is be in touch with special needs dept and they are so helpful by ensuring we have everything we need, and also by helping us on with the equipment as we never check it in. hope that helps.

sue

Archived