questions about the baths

amsp

i have some questions about this place. i'd want to use a private operator (preferably) to get there (devil's beach).

from there, what can you tell me about where you are? is there any shade there (i'm recovering from melanoma surgery - less than 2.5 months)? is there a bathroom nearby, how far is it? how hard is the walk through the rocks? what kind of camera would you take - the good one to get great pictures, or the waterproof one? i'm not a small person, and have some mobility issues, would i get anything out of this excursion, or would i be better off in a car tour of tortola?

I'd suggest an island tour on Tortola, much easier and you can have access to restrooms and other amenities more easily. Tortola is a gorgeous island to see snd you can enjoy a beach lunch with restrooms at your leisure.

The Baths are very unique and definitely worth a visit, but much easier with a private outfit that has adequate resources on the catamaran rather than a small open boat with minimal facilities.

There are restrooms only at the Top of the Baths. A water resistant camera is highly recommended (Olympus TG series, for example).

So although not a rigorous excursion, it can pose some difficulties when mobility is a concern.

Do you have any other interests? If time allows a ferry to Jost Van Dyke is very easy but it takes some time to get there and back, and it's primarily a beach bar experience, nothing more.

Edited by blue_water

I'd suggest an island tour on Tortola, much easier and you can have access to restrooms and other amenities more easily. Tortola is a gorgeous island to see snd you can enjoy a beach lunch with restrooms at your leisure.

The Baths are very unique and definitely worth a visit, but much easier with a private outfit that has adequate resources on the catamaran rather than a small open boat with minimal facilities.

There are restrooms only at the Top of the Baths. A water resistant camera is highly recommended (Olympus TG series, for example).

So although not a rigorous excursion, it can pose some difficulties when mobility is a concern.

Do you have any other interests? If time allows a ferry to Jost Van Dyke is very easy but it takes some time to get there and back, and it's primarily a beach bar experience, nothing more.

thanks. we may play it by ear and see what the weather is like that day. it is the first port of call for our cruise, so we may try it since i won't be behind the 8 ball yet. the next day we are renting a car, so it is as easy or as hard as we want to make it.

a beach day is not very interesting to either my husband or me. we love snorkeling, but that is about the only reason to spend more than 30 minutes at a beach to us. i like seeing different and interesting sites - thus the interest in the baths. but, otherwise, we are mountain/rain forest/water falls people.

The walk through the Baths is not terribly difficult for most but can be for one with mobility issues. There are restrooms and a small pool at the top of the baths if you take the ferry thete but it's a natural path down to the beach.

So your concerns about the sun, your mobility issue, and the distance to restrooms would Lead me to recommend something else. But look at some YouTube videos to get a better feel.

A tour of Tortola on the other hand includes a drive through the mountains and a visit to Sage Mountain National Park. Again, this is another excursion where restrooms and other facilities may not be close by if that's a concern, and walking would be a big part of the experience.

• 2 weeks later...
i have some questions about this place. i'd want to use a private operator (preferably) to get there (devil's beach).

from there, what can you tell me about where you are? is there any shade there (i'm recovering from melanoma surgery - less than 2.5 months)? is there a bathroom nearby, how far is it? how hard is the walk through the rocks? what kind of camera would you take - the good one to get great pictures, or the waterproof one? i'm not a small person, and have some mobility issues, would i get anything out of this excursion, or would i be better off in a car tour of tortola?

I agree with Blue-Water, just your questions alone tell me that this excursion is not for you, at least not this year. When I was there, I did have to pull myself up onto a rock with a rope and squeeze through creavases in the rocks. We went from bottom to top so it may be a little different. And there were times I was crawling hunched over unable to stand straight over the rocks. It is not simply a walk to the beach on a path, and anyone who seems to think that it is a leisurely walk is wrong. You need agility and the ability to pull your body weight.