Omoa Fatu Hiva Marquesas

styler47

What does the ship offer? When we were there, we stopped rather at Hanavave, the Bay of Virgins. There wasn't much to do, but they had performances and demonstrations laid on for us, around the dock area. There was also a collective-like store where they sole tapa cloth art. I've heard since that they've added 4x4 trips, but know nothing of them.

• 2 weeks later...

What the Aranui arranged for her passengers: We walked through the small village to a tapa making demonstration. There is also a coop store with tapas and carvings. The village is small, the scenery is beautiful. One group walked over the ridge into the next valley where the Aranui picked them up again.

You are on the island made famous by the Norwegian Thor Heyerdahl. As a young man, he and his wife tried to 'return to the simple life'. They almost died in this adventure. The book's title is Fatu-Hiva. Another good read for the Marquesas is Herman Melville's Typee, a short embellished autobiographic novel.

You are on the island made famous by the Norwegian Thor Heyerdahl. As a young man, he and his wife tried to 'return to the simple life'. They almost died in this adventure. The book's title is Fatu-Hiva. Another good read for the Marquesas is Herman Melville's Typee, a short embellished autobiographic novel.

Thanks for bringing up this book by Heyerdahl. I read it when I was a teenager, and despite the negative aspects of their ordeal, this book was the beginning of my yearning to learn about and see the South Pacific. Melville's book is also fun, if you read it with the knowledge that he was actually there very briefly, and made up a lot of the story. I still loved driving through the Taipivai Valley and thinking of him and his insights about the culture and descriptions of the landscape.