Land Tour Help Please - June 2006

new-to-cruise-02

I am not cruising to Alaska (cruising later in the summer to Carribean, hence I am on this site :) ) - but I will be there this June. I have been reading through the threads and there is so much knowledge and information here I am hopeful that you will help me plan an itinerary even though I am not cruising - please, pretty please?:cool:

I am flying into Anchorage June 15th in order to participate in the Mayor's Midnight Sun Marathon on June 17th. We will be in Anchorage through the morning of the 19th, and are then flying out the evening of the 24th.

So, we have the 16th through 18th in Anchorage. After that, I need advice :D

Our preliminary thoughts were to take the train down to Seward on the Monday the 19th. Rent a car in Seward, take a boat trip on Tuesday the 20th and probably start heading north on the evening of the 20th (b/c it will be light out) or the morning of Wednesday the 21st (so we can make stops as we please)

We will probably head from Seward to Talkeetna and then take a flightseeing tour to Denali on the 22nd. After that, we would drove up to Denali - I guess that has us doing the bus tour into the park on Friday the 23rd. Saturday the 24th we drive back towards Anchorage (stop in Wasilla?) and fly out that night.

I think we have some time in there Monday afternoon and maybe Wednesday. This is all very preliminary though - so if anyone has advice, better ideas - places we should definitely not miss - I would really appreciate the advice.

Also, if you have recommendations of places to say, attractions to see or tours to take - that would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks a lot for any and all help!

(ps - sorry this is so long!)

Hmm - if I ask for recs for recommended tours in Seward (boat tour) and flightseeing to Denali - would that help?

Looking for any recommended tours / must sees for Seward / Talkeetna / Denali.

Anywhere else we should go on the Kenai Peninsula while we have the rental car?

Appreciate any help - we're trying to book excursions this week.

Pretty Please? :eek:

I would say to look at getting a toursaver.com book.

These books have 2 for 1 coupons on flightseeing Mt. McKinley (from either Denali or Talkeetna) as well as the Kenai Fjords trip in Seward.

I believe Renoun does the trip in Seward and Talkeena Aero does a great flightseeing trip. The book will save you a lot of money even if you're just doing those 2 things!

(I just know this from reading the boards--I'm trying to plan a trip myself and have gotten loads of advice....sorry, no personal experience.)

There is NO point in renting a car in Seward, either get a round trip car out of Anchorage or take the train both ways. BIG drop off charges and very limited availablity with Hertz. You can easily do your Kenai fjords boat trip your first day, or do it your second then take the 6pm train back to Anchroage. Overnight, then Talkeetna and to Denali Park the next day.

For clairfication, I never recommend the bus tours into Denali park only the shuttle buses with my min distance in Fish Creek.

You have a very doable plan, and you may want to consider my suggestion to make better use of time perhaps.

Thanks Tapia and BudgetQueen

BQ - I have been reading through the threads so I know that you have lots of helpful info :)

Since we are doing the marathon Saturday, we thought it might be nice to rest our legs on Monday and that the train to Seward would be nice.

I see what you're saying about car drop-off so which would you recommend more:

1) rent car in Anchorage and drive to Seward (and just drive the whole time - no train)

or 2) train to/from Seward and then rent the car in Anchorage?

What about other towns on the Kenai Peninsula?

Should we just do Seward? Do you have a recommended tour in Seward (boat tour)

Is one day in Denali enough? and we will definitely do the shuttle (per your rec) - can we book that in advance?

How about flightseeing recs - I've seen you recommend Talkeetna Aero (I think) - we definitely want to land on the glacier.

Lodging recommendations?

Finally - any idea about what type of clothing we should pack (there from 6/15 - 6/24)

Thanks so much - really appreciate the help!

I suggest taking the train roundtrip for Seward and renting a car in Anchorage for Denali. Tracks and road run pretty much parallel 2/3 of the way. Seward is small and very easy to get around without your own vehicle. Other towns on the pennisula are at least 90 miles from Seward and once you get pass Cooper Landing the scenery goes downhill to flat.

I like Major Marine best for large boat tours and Saltwater lodge for fishing and private boat charters. Their lodge out Lowell Point is my favorite for recommending a nice on the beach, out of town place to stay.

The weather in June is usually nice, 60-70's sometimes hotter but always plan for rain and be happy when it doesn't.

Since your marathon runners, try running up Mt Marathon while your here. 2nd oldest footrace in USA, 3022 feet to top, 3.5 miles up and back down is done in less than an hour every July 4th.

Hiking up to the Harding Ice Field at Exit Glacier is another you would enjoy if your not too tired from the race.

Good luck in the Midnight Sun Marathon!!

Since your marathon runners, try running up Mt Marathon while your here. 2nd oldest footrace in USA, 3022 feet to top, 3.5 miles up and back down is done in less than an hour every July 4th.

Hiking up to the Harding Ice Field at Exit Glacier is another you would enjoy if your not too tired from the race.

Good luck in the Midnight Sun Marathon!!

Hehe - I made my friends promise we wouldn't do anything too active after the marathon :) - but Exit Glacier sounds like something we would do.

Is Major Marine a company that does boat tours? (you can tell I am still in the planning and research stages :) )

Thanks!

Major Marine does boat tours, along with many others. The reasons I like them the best are..#1 reserved seating #2 all you can eat prime rib/salmon buffet #3 an actual park ranger in uniform and a junior ranger program.

Hiking up to the Harding Ice Field is 3.5 miles one way, average time 8 hours roundtrip. You could always turn around. The lower trails can easily be done by just about anyone and the main trail is paved, wheelchair accessible. There are interpretive signs to read and ones with the year that the glacier used to be at. Bears, moose and goats are seen daily. No food but plenty of water. :)

You found the best place to do research and planning. Ask away! :)

Thanks so much Glacier Lady! I felt bad b/c I'm not taking a cruise. But - I tried to convince my DH to take a cruise in Alaska if that counts :) He wanted to go somewhere warm - so, I'm going without him :)

So GlacierLady - you would recommend - train down to Seward on Monday - stay Monday night - Boat tour Tuesday? - head back to Anchorage Tuesday night - head up to Talkeetna Wednesday? flightsee Wednesday, head up to Denali - Denali Thursday -

I've still got time Friday and Saturday - flight leaves at 8 - obviously I am shortchanging something - so suggestions for where to spend time are greatly appreciated :)

Really - thank you all here so much - you have been a huge help already. I can't believe I am going to Alaska!

Only you can decide on your transportation mode. Either round trip Anchorage at the begining- how are you getting around in Anchorage??? it is a big spread out city and best with a car. If you do get a car then, then I would suggest you get the weekly ++ rental for the whole time. If no car, then take the train, both ways to Seward, return to Anchorage then rent a car for the rest of your trip.

As for Seward- I like Alaska Heritage tours best for Kenai Fjords. I have gone with Major Marine both in Seward and Whittier. I find the assigned seating a negative, since there are some less desirable seats in my opinion. I have not seen any bonus for the park ranger. The Cpts. of Alaska Heritage are superb and long time experts on the areas. http://www.kenaifjords.com Go with who fits your schedule best, both are well run companies.

As for glacier landings, far the best are the glacier helicopter landings, which you can do out of Seward with Godwin's. If you "glaicer land" out of Talkeetna, it is on snow and the ice can be a hike away. Less exciting for me then a summit flight of McKinley which is my clear preference.

You do have to make shuttle bus reservations IN ADVANCE. My min. recommended distance in is at least Fish Creek. http://www.nps.gov/dena

You need layers, light lined jacket, knit hat and gloves ( for the Kenai fjords boat tours).

Has anyone ever taken the Kenai Fjords Tour with the company that has the two for one coupon, I think they are called Reown? It is very confusing to figure out which company is the best. Also I have contacted the Saltwater Lodge and they also do a tour of the Kenai Fjords just on a smaller scale, has anyone ever done a tour through them? Once again thanks for all the helpful information.

I agree with the advice to check out www.toursaver.com and see if any of those coupons would be of use to you.

-The Alaska Railroad has 2 for 1 coupon for round-trip to Denali Nat'l Park

-Renown Tours has 2 for 1 coupon for their 6 hour Kenai Fjords tour

-Several Anchorage attractions have 2 for 1 coupons

-A couple of McKinley flightseeing tours have 2 for 1 coupons

-There's a glacier viewing cruise out of Whittier 2 for 1

-Alyeska Tram at Girdwood 2 for 1

-Rafting/jetboat tours 2 for 1

You can look up the coupons on the website prior to purchase. Even if you don't want the coupon book, you can link to websites for some great tour ideas.

If not cruising, I would definitely wouldn't miss out on the Kenai Fjords day cruise. In fact, we ARE cruising and I'm almost as excited about the Kenai Fjords tour as the actual cruise itself. We are using the Renown coupon. I'd also love to work in the day cruise out of Whittier, touring the College Fjord glaciers via small boat.

Archived