Lightning! Let's see some!

popcan

Its taken from a video. When we were in rome in june we were standing outside the front of the vatican and there was a massive bolt of orange and purple fork lightning right over the roof of st' peters, wish i caught that on pic, would have been amazing lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Lightning's one of those right-time-right-place kind of things. I live in the U.S. Lightning Capital, but can rarely shoot it around my house as I have no horizon view and would have to go stand in a field with my camera during a lightning storm (not going to happen!). So the only times I've captured lightning were lucky times I was traveling and happened to have my camera when a storm was approaching. Here are a few:

Lightning over Disney's Grand Floridian resort:

original.jpg

The first, and last, time I stood in my backyard to try to photograph lightning - many years ago, and had this bolt strike within 1/4 mile...sending me immediately indoors:

original.jpg

A little daytime lightning arching through the sky over Frontierland and Liberty Square as a big storm approached in Disney World:

original.jpg

Always wanted to...never in the right place at the right time. In SoCal, we only see lightning about every other year and travelling to a thunderstorm isn't on my bucket list! :)

I do enjoy the photos, though!

Dave

• 2 weeks later...
Awesome shot, Jenf - better than the perseids if you ask me! Great cloud glow from the inside bolts.

Thanks! I wish I had centered the action vertically so I got more water in the frame and could have edited out the fish eye effect. This was my first attempt with lightning and only tried it because the Perseids were kind of a bust when we were out there (before the moon set).