Looking forward to the trip -- Viking Tor Sept 27

AnotherDawn

Hi all,

DH and I are taking our first river cruise, departing in 10 days on the Viking Tor for the Basel-Amsterdam Rhine run. We are veteran travelers but have never done a river cruise before.

When I was younger I would just pack a bag and go, but DH likes to know where we're going and what to expect so our last couple of international trips have been planned tours. We did a Carnival caribbean cruise about 10 years ago and while we loved the destinations, cruising with 5000 of our best friends wasn't something we enjoyed. Our last trip was a bus tour of Ireland, and while Ireland is fabulous, we were tied to the bus and I really hated being in it by the end of the tour. I like the idea of being able to get off the ship at each port and do our own thing all day and come back to a cabin and dinner and no hassles.

I've been reading the forums here since we booked in April. I think we got one of the last available stowage cabins. I had no idea people booked these things years in advance. I'm more of a last minute traveller myself, see what kind of deals can be had and winging it. I'd like to thank the people who have been sharing information from their recent trips, it's been very helpful with our own planning. I'm also keeping a close eye on the weather forecasts, it can be so variable this time of year. I was thinking I'd need a lot of long sleeved shirts, but seeing that it is warmer in central europe than it is at home, I'm not so sure. :)

I did this same cruise with Viking in November (17th to 24th) last year.

(My 4th Viking cruise).

I took long sleeved and short sleeved sweaters but the weather was good and I was never cold. You could take a couple of each and then see what the weather is like. Dress in layers and if you get warm you can take a sweater off and put it in your bag until you get back to the bus.

Have a great cruise.

we are doing the reverse cruise next March, our 2nd with Viking since our first viking cruise was outstanding in every way….

i hope you will do some daily reports when your time allows…safe travel….

I'm planning on taking my winter jacket, if nothing else in case of rain. I don't have a lot of sweaters, so I'm taking some tank tops as under layers. I did a test-pack last night and so far it all fits with room to spare. We travel with one small suitcase apiece, I'm a firm believer in being able to carry my own luggage, and if necessary grab it and run through the airport. Having only one bag has saved us from missed flights and let us squeeze on to shuttle busses many times.

Anyway, I do plan to write a report afterward. I'm not traveling with a laptop so you'll have to wait a few weeks for it. Is there anything anybody wants me to pay particular attention to?