3 reef Boat snorkel- anyone done these?

Djdarleen

Looking at a 3 reef snorkel to blue channel; spooky channel and Palmetto Bay shipwreck. I need to hear from anyone who has done any of these sites, please. I have seen lots of info on shore snorkels, but none on boat snorkels... yes, I know it's easy to do the shore snorkel, but we'd rather go to a few different sites. Also the shipwreck seems super cool! Just wondering how deep it is, if it's easy to snorkel or do you have to dive down quite a bit? This is through shore excursioneer, features transportation, the 3 reef snorkel and lobster dinner served on the waterfront of a private beach all for $119 pp. thoughts???

The price is reasonable if it includes transportation.. The snorkel sites are great. Not sure who shorexcursioner is using but there are several good snorkeling outfits on the island. And as long as the excursion isn't a big boat filled with dozens of people, you'll have a great time.

Thanks crewsweeper. Yes, all transportation included, limited to 20 people. Actually also includes open bar and snacks between snorkel sites. So have you snorkeled these sites? I am mostly concerned about depth... hoping that the reef and shipwreck are fairly close to the surface, since we are snorkeling. I just remember that in Cozumel everything was so deep we didn't get to see too much. Of course the reef at Roatan is miles apart from Cozumel, poor Cozumel has mostly dead corals. We snorkeled Roatan at Fantasy Island last September and it was gorgeous, but it would have been better with a guide. Also we only had about 15 minutes in the water as our tour came to pick us up 30 minutes earlier than the time we were told. I would appreciate anyone who would elaborate on any of these sites. Thanks again crewsweeper!

There are shallower spots along these sites, although they do take divers to them as well. Water is relatively clear, current shouldn't be too bad and you can see the depth. Let the guides know you'd prefer shallower spots, if the depth is too much for you. So go and have a good time. And I agree that a lot of the coral along the shore in Coz is dying. I'm hearing the same for West Bay beach shore snorkeling as over time, thousands of people have trampled over the coral nearer the shore. Sad but probably not preventable.

Thanks crewsweeper. Yes, all transportation included, limited to 20 people. Actually also includes open bar and snacks between snorkel sites. So have you snorkeled these sites? I am mostly concerned about depth... hoping that the reef and shipwreck are fairly close to the surface, since we are snorkeling. I just remember that in Cozumel everything was so deep we didn't get to see too much. Of course the reef at Roatan is miles apart from Cozumel, poor Cozumel has mostly dead corals. We snorkeled Roatan at Fantasy Island last September and it was gorgeous, but it would have been better with a guide. Also we only had about 15 minutes in the water as our tour came to pick us up 30 minutes earlier than the time we were told. I would appreciate anyone who would elaborate on any of these sites. Thanks again crewsweeper!

Cozumel doesn't have dead coral on their reefs, they have dead coral close to shore due to the wave action and current, and of course the ignorant people standing on it close to shore. The reefs of Cozumel are fantastic, take my word for it as a diver who has done 300+ dives there over past 16 years. Those reefs are not good for snorkeling as they are too deep to see anything. Cozumel is for DIVING, not snorkeling.

Roatan reefs are closer to shore and shallower. Roatan does not have the current of Cozumel either....so it is better for snorkeling.

If you really are interested in what the coral looks like at either destination, you should check out my scuba diving videos and photos on my personal website, listed below my signature.

robin....my photos and videos from Scuba: http://www.rnrscuba.net/photos.html

Thanks crewsweeper, your input much appreciated. And thank you Robin for correcting me on the Cozumel info. All I know is we took a catamaran to a couple of sites there and didn't see many fish and any coral I saw was colorless, but I have since learned that doesn't necessarily mean it's dead. I would love to dive, but have no scuba experience. I don't think my mom and sister, who are traveling with me have the desire to scuba. We are going to Punta Sur park in Cozumel to see the lighthouse. I was considering snorkeling there as well, from the shore.

Thanks crewsweeper, your input much appreciated. And thank you Robin for correcting me on the Cozumel info. All I know is we took a catamaran to a couple of sites there and didn't see many fish and any coral I saw was colorless, but I have since learned that doesn't necessarily mean it's dead. I would love to dive, but have no scuba experience. I don't think my mom and sister, who are traveling with me have the desire to scuba. We are going to Punta Sur park in Cozumel to see the lighthouse. I was considering snorkeling there as well, from the shore.

Your welcome! Unfortunately, snorkeling in Cozumel always gives people the wrong impression. The reefs for divers are literally a mile+ off-shore. Cozumel is one of the Top 10 best diving locations in the world, but it is Diving, not snorkeling. Lots of places better for snorkeling due to the reef thing, as well as the current.

• 2 weeks later...

We did this trip last year! So much fun. Not too big of a group. Staff was amazing. Never needed to ask for anything. Snorkeling was great. Loved the lobster lunch. Always had a cold beer ready. The only drawback is the amount of shade on the boat. There are only a few spots with good shade. If you are like me and don't like tanning then reapply sunscreen like crazy, bring sunshirt and a hat that won't fly off a fast boat. I was in the shade most of the time but still ended up getting more sun than I wanted. Great trip-we are going back again on our spring break cruise

Thanks ALR1023. I was really looking forward to this excursion, then I saw that the price is only $119 a person if you have a substantial number of people to split it with. Unfortunately our group is only 3, so we won't be able to do it. 🙁

There is a private excursion or you can book per person. We booked our family of four and there were other people on the excursion with us booked completely separately

Is this through shore excursioneer or through someone else? And what did y'all pay per person, if you don't mind saying? So glad to get this info!!! It was the excursion we were most wanting to do. I had not even broken the news to my mom & sis that we weren't going to be able to do it... now maybe I won't have to!

It was through shoreexcursioneer.com. There are 2 different options when you look at that trip. It was $119 a person

ALR1023- THANK YOU!!! I don't know why, but when I looked at the excursion on my laptop it only showed the private boat option, but I found the individual option on my phone... and we are booked!!! Super excited! Thank you so much for weighing in- I thought this thread was pretty much dead, and then you brought it back to life. Any details you would like to share about your excursion would be very much appreciated. I am a bit concerned about the depth, hoping the beautiful corals and such are not so deep we'll have to dive down to see them. Thanks again!

That's too bad! We were planning on doing the same excursion in a few weeks but my husband wants me to look at "something different". Both my kids loved it and I'm not finding great alternatives. Cruise excursioneer had a few options with snorkel stops/beach breaks I looked at earlier today. As far as the depth-I am not the best swimmer. I enjoy snorkeling but don't "dive down" like my husband and kids. Roatan didn't require diving down at all for good views. Are you stopping in Belize?

Hey ALR1023. Yeah, so disappointed. I am now thinking we might do the "Roatan Discover Beginning SCUBA & Mayan Princess Resort Beach Break". All 3 of us have always wanted to scuba... just $15 more than the other excursion, but no lunch included. The other one I was seriously considering was the "Roatan Ultimate Nature Combo: Mangrove Cruise, Horseback Riding, Beach and Snorkel"- this looks super cool, but the only thing is that the snorkel is only 30 minutes... was wondering if they might switch it up and do less time on the mangrove cruise and more on the snorkel. But it will be a moot point if we choose the scuba. Yes, we are stopping in Belize as well. We'll be doing the Belize City by Carriage excursion through Carnival there; last time we did the Lamanai Mayan Ruins and River Boat Safari, enjoyed it very much. When are y'all cruising?