Classical guitars?Shops and Performers

63galaxie

My husband and I will be in San Juan for 1 1/2 days (a Friday afternoon through Sunday night) pre cruise in October 2006.

My husband is a classical guitarist.

Can anyone give me recommendations on where we might find a classical guitar shop?

We would also be thrilled if we could find a performance (if not classical, perhaps flamenco)?

Any/all suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks.

63galaxie

For information about music, contact the Conservatory of Music of Puerto Rico

at 787 751 0160. If you need English, just ask and someone will help you.

There is a website in Spanish which lists programs and activities for each

month. They have a variety of programs by students and visitors from

other universities, both in US and other countries. Someone there might help you with shopping information. When I am in San Juan I often attend concerts

there and have heard some great musicians. My husband{now deceased] and I used to party in Owensboro on the riverboat and at hotels with his business friends.It was a great party town!! If I can answer any other questions for you, let me know.:cool: :

For information about music, contact the Conservatory of Music of Puerto Rico

at 787 751 0160. If you need English, just ask and someone will help you.

There is a website in Spanish which lists programs and activities for each

month. They have a variety of programs by students and visitors from

other universities, both in US and other countries. Someone there might help you with shopping information. When I am in San Juan I often attend concerts

there and have heard some great musicians. My husband{now deceased] and I used to party in Owensboro on the riverboat and at hotels with his business friends.It was a great party town!! If I can answer any other questions for you, let me know.:cool: :

Thank you for the valuable input!

I've been in Owensboro for 13 years (I'm originally from California) but my husband has lived here all of his life. It's a great place to raise a family!

Again, thank you for your help!

Karen

There is a truly beautiful performing arts center on Ponce De Leon in the

Santurce area. They have many kinds of music and plays during the year.

Some hotels have copies of their brochures available. I don't believe they

have a website, but some other San Juan sites have information. The name

is Centro de Bellas Artes and phone is 787 724 4747. Loved Owensboro

BBQue!!:cool:

Juan Carlos has a flamenca show in which he plays an acoustic guitar at the Grand Hotal in SJ. I have not seen it yet' date=' plan to in January. Sounds nice, I enjoyed watching flamenca when I vacationed in Spain. Laura[/quote']

I'm not familiar with Juan Carlos although I think I recall reading about someone who's performed in Vegas. Is this the same person? Thanks. Karen:D

There is a truly beautiful performing arts center on Ponce De Leon in the

Santurce area. They have many kinds of music and plays during the year.

Some hotels have copies of their brochures available. I don't believe they

have a website, but some other San Juan sites have information. The name

is Centro de Bellas Artes and phone is 787 724 4747. Loved Owensboro

BBQue!!:cool:

Believe it or not, we're not big bbq fans! My husband won't eat it at all! I don't care for the flavor. I prefer a sweet honey sauce (of course, the more sugar the better). But, going to the International BBQ Festival is a lot of fun! You'd be surprised at how Owensboro has grown. And more riverfront development is coming. Have you ever been to the Riverpark Center? It's spectaular. We even have N.Y. Broadway shows and an excellent symphony. Truly worth a visit if you ever come back!

Karen;)

Juan Carlos has a flamenca show in which he plays an acoustic guitar at the Grand Hotal in SJ. I have not seen it yet' date=' plan to in January. Sounds nice, I enjoyed watching flamenca when I vacationed in Spain. Laura[/quote']

This sounds good. How can I find out his schedule and do you know if we need reservations in advance? Thanks for the tip! Karen:rolleyes:

• 4 weeks later...

Yes it is the same person. I now see where CCL has added his show as an excursion. I have the info at home and will post it. We are cruising on CCL, but will not take the excursion, prefer to do it on our own. I think they do suggest reservations and "appropriate evening attire." Laura

Yes it is the same person. I now see where CCL has added his show as an excursion. I have the info at home and will post it. We are cruising on CCL' date=' but will not take the excursion, prefer to do it on our own. I think they do suggest reservations and "appropriate evening attire." Laura[/quote']

Hi Laura.

How do we book this on our own?

Thanks. Karen

I did a search on these boards and Juan Carlos has a show at the Intercontinental Hotel in Isla Verde. I see from a previous post you will be in PR in October. I will be finding out more info for myself and pass along anything I find. Laura

Okay Karen' date=' The phone number to the hotel is 1-787-791-6100, the hotel is located close to Old San Juan area. When I called, the person who could give info on the show was at dinner. Hope this helps, Laura[/quote']

Laura, you're an angel. Thank you. We'll be flying in to S.J. on October 7th and cruising out the 8th. When are you cruising? Karen:rolleyes:

• 10 years later...
My husband and I will be in San Juan for 1 1/2 days (a Friday afternoon through Sunday night) pre cruise in October 2006.

My husband is a classical guitarist.

Can anyone give me recommendations on where we might find a classical guitar shop?

We would also be thrilled if we could find a performance (if not classical, perhaps flamenco)?

Any/all suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks.

63galaxie

I know it's quite a while ago when you posted this (! !) but did you find a suitable shop? I'm looking to do the same, to save me taking mine and give me something to play whilst we are with friends (I'll probably leave it at theirs for our next visit).

I also will be on the hunt for someone playing :D

There's a music store in the Plaza des Americans mall, or at least there was back then. A "local" person took us there where my husband found and purchased a guitar.

Also, we've been told there's a flamenco show and guitarist at a local restaurant. Can't recall the name. Just do a Google search and you should be able to find it. We've never seen it, however.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 2 weeks later...

I saw a fabulous guitar show last year in Old San Juan - even bought his CD. I went to the Rosa's flamenco show instead of Barachina's because it had been recommended by our host. It was not like other shows because instead of the dancers being primary focus, the guitarist was the focus. He played music from the various Spanish regions and explained the difference. I was so impressed I went the next night.

The restaurant food wasn't great so I don't know what to recommend so go for entertainment and not for food.

There are 2 Rosa's. You want the one closest to ships. Not sure what night guitarist plays, however.

Thanks Ms411, we'll look out for that when we get back (just starting our cruise now[emoji7]).

For the benefit of anyone else finding this via Mr Google, I found a great little shop with a good range of all guitar types. I bought a little Martin guitar which will be awesome for travelling with.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums