Snorkeling options in Phuket - advice needed

Bellamariya

We will be overnighting in Phuket in March and would love to do some snorkeling.

I have looked at options to go to Phi Phi Island as this looks like one of the best choices but can anyone recommend good snorkeling spots that don't need a boat ride to get there or are closer to Phuket?

• 2 months later...

Giles, the owner of Offspray Leisure was a super communicator right from initial contact months prior to my visit. I was part of a group of 12 people in Phuket for just one day. Giles arranged ground transport from Patong Bay in Phuket to his boat's location. We then had a fabulous day aboard a comfortable speed boat. Chris, from Offspray was our guide to the Phi Phi Islands. Along the way we passed James Bond Island. Our first stop was for snorkeling in a key-hole shaped cove, with all equipment provided, Chris was in the water with us and pointed out a white-tip shark...very exciting. We then motored to the location where the movie The Beach was filmed (spectacular views, but crowded so we didn't stay), onto a few other stunning islands before entering a hidden bay. Here we stopped for an authentic homemade Thai lunch, made by Giles's wife, which was served with real plates on the secluded beach. Chris even laid out mats for us. The food was as amazing as the scenery. After lunch we motored to the guarded Viking Cove and heard the story about the very, very expensive bird's nest soup. Then onto Monkey Beach, well that's self explanatory. This day was a highlight of my 2 month Asian trip! This tour convinced me to come back for a 1-2 month stay. And you can be sure I'll be utilizing Offspray Leisure again.