Those Canceled 2012 Dry-dock Plans

Host Jazzbeau

Hi folks, please bear with me as I'm still kinda new to the Azamara forum. I have read that major "revitalization" dry-docks were scheduled for Quest and Journey in 2012 but this was canceled at the last minute. Drydocks were down at that time, but apparently with a reduced agenda.

So I have searched this forum for threads about the dry-docks, and found details about what was done -- which sounds pretty extensive for a "minor" dry-dock.

What had been planned that wasn't done? [After seeing the damage that Princess is about to do to Island, I'm wondering if we aren't better off that Azamara couldn't do whatever it was they were planning -- if that involved adding more cabins and reducing public space in other ways, which seems to be the way of major dry-docks at most cruise lines these days.]

What had been planned that wasn't done? [After seeing the damage that Princess is about to do to Island, I'm wondering if we aren't better off that Azamara couldn't do whatever it was they were planning -- if that involved adding more cabins and reducing public space in other ways, which seems to be the way of major dry-docks at most cruise lines these days.]

Hi Host Jazzbeau,

Here's a post from Bill Leiber, from July 24, 2012, which explains the revised plans for Journey & Quest : http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1677048

As for what was originally planned ? That I recall, not much was said. Here's another post from Bill, stating that Azamara was not planning to pre-release specifics, which is totally understandable, due to the competitive nature of the business. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=33724698&postcount=3

As I also moderate Princess, I've been watching with interest, the comments about Island's upcoming drydock. While I suspect that it will all work out... the addition of 120 new cabins at the expense of several popular venues, seems like a huge gamble to me. No doubt, it will add a great deal of revenues, but I hope the guests will ultimately enjoy what is planned.

Getting back to Azamara... if you are wondering if something as dramatic is possible ? I suppose nothing can be ruled out - however, I *highly* doubt Azamara will do anything nearly as dramatic as what is planned for Island Princess. I totally expect Azamara to retain the beauty of the R-Class, and not transform the ships into something completely different.

Hope this is helpful !

Edited by Host Andy

Thanks Host Andy! That was very helpful.

I had found Bill Leiber's post, and when I first read it I thought it was the original plan because it seemed quite extensive. Remember that all I know about it is the recent posts talking about how RCL pulled the budget and the ships are now showing the results of this. But the work that was done -- only 2 years ago -- should have brought the ships pretty much up to brand new condition outside and in most public areas, plus all new bedding. Hard to see how they could become old and tatty so soon after all that work.

Also thanks for the reassurance that Azamara wouldn't be so stupid as to ruin the charm of these ships. Our first cruise (after children) was on Oceania Insignia, so we know and love the R-ship design. It works, and people love it. Don't kill the goose looking for a few more golden eggs...

Coral Princess is my favorite mass market ship, so I was really looking forward to Island's new role in the Mediterranean -- and maybe without a Panama Canal or a Glacier Bay to look at I won't miss those public viewing areas so much, but my first reaction to the new Island Princess deck plans was shock and disappointment.

Edited by Host Jazzbeau