Jost van dyke

tfg

Hi

Has anyone done jost van dyke on there own please?

I understand there is a ferry,my questions are

How far from the port to the ferry and taxi cost

How long does the ferry take

How to get to soggy dollar beach bar and cost

As i really would like to visit

Thanks Terry

you would taxi to the West End ferry terminal, about 20 min.

Roundtrip Taxi fare is $54 fpr 1 person, $28pp for 2, and $24pp for 3 or more.

The ferry is a 25 min ride and $20pp roundtrip.

The ferry docks near Foxy's in Great Harbor, the short taxi from Great Harbor to White Bay (Soggy$) is about $10pp RT.

So for 1 person about $84 roundtrip and 2.5 - 3 hrs total travel time.

The excursion through the ship leaves right from where you are docked.

you would taxi to the West End ferry terminal, about 20 min.

Roundtrip Taxi fare is $54 fpr 1 person, $28pp for 2, and $24pp for 3 or more.

The ferry is a 25 min ride and $20pp roundtrip.

The ferry docks near Foxy's in Great Harbor, the short taxi from Great Harbor to White Bay (Soggy$) is about $10pp RT.

So for 1 person about $84 roundtrip and 2.5 - 3 hrs total travel time.

The excursion through the ship leaves right from where you are docked.

Thanks for that so do you reckon it's best doing the ships tour,i did look at it ?

terry

Do they tell you how long you'll have on Jost? I believe the ship option also drops you in White Bay too but take a look at that. Also when do you dock and leave, and on what day of the week?

Hi does not say how long you have there but trip is 4 1/2 hrs long and it says it takes an hour to get there and arrives at whitte bay with a drink incl at oceans 7 beach bar ,it's on 23rd dec

Terry

Yes 2 - 2.5 hrs is typical for that excursion, not much time to enjoy yourself. You didn't answer my other questions so can't offer much more...

Good luck

Hi blue water

Thanks again for that ,i'm a bit unsure of which of your questions i didn't answer i tried to tell you all i knew

Thanks Terry

Sorry Terry, I wondered what time you docked and left, I don't see a ship in Tortola on that date? What ship is it?

Thanks

It's the azura

It says arrive morning depart afternoon

Last year we got in between 8/830 and departed about 5,but i have noticed this year some poc it says depart afternoon as oppossed to depart early evening.

Capt brown extended 2 departures to 2000 but tortola was not one of them.

I have double checked the date and it is 23rd dec

Terry

WOW, nice cruise!

Yes it looks like you are in port for 9 hrs from 8AM to 5PM. So you could visit JVD on your own via ferry but still not much time to spend there. You would have to wait for the 10AM ferry to JVD, and take the 2PM ferry back to West End. That would give you about 3 hrs on Jost and only a couple hours at White Bay. So very similar to the time you'd have using the ship excursion and that's on the water all the way there and back.

There are smaller motorboat operators out of Nanny Cay that you can charter for the day, I know others have gone to both JVD and the Willie T or Norman Island in one day. Not sure of the price but it would be more of course.

I don't think you're there early enough to take advantage of a cat sail to JVD like Kuralu or Patouche but you could also e-mail them to be sure since you have time.

There may be an option to take a water taxi (small motor boat) from Cane Garden Bay on the north side of Tortola that faces JVD, takes about 20 min each way and they can drop you right in White Bay. There are a couple operators there that have a taxi but I don't have their contact info, I'll look for that.

But I would also look at the small operator option to see what that price is, I'll see if I can dig up the post from the group that did that for you.

• 4 weeks later...

Bvi360 has not been very reliable according to many posts here but there are also good reviews.

For those that go to Jost don't miss Seddy's One Love, Seddy (like his dad Foxy in Great Harbor) performs for you except he does magic and card tricks rather than music. We also like his Bushwacker over the painkiller so give both a try.

Unfortunately (for everyone but the owners) the Soggy $ Bar is a very busy spot anymore, especially on weekends, and it's nice to get to to Ivan's and even Foxy's if time allows. But if you like a busy vibe with seveal daytrippers stopping in on boats you'll enjoy the Soggy $ atmosphere. Nice beach and a fun spot, but we wouldn't go all the way there unless we had the time to relax and see a couple spots at least.

If time is limited and you're looking for a lively vibe, painkillers, and a nice beach to enjoy it all on consider Cane Garden Bay as it offers a somewhat similar experience right on Tortola.

Yes US accepted everywhere in the BVI, wet or dry on Jost. You will be one of several daytrippers there on Sunday.

In White Bay you'll find

Seddy's One Love Bar & Grill, lobster quesadilla and bushwacker.

Gertrude's, Bailey's Banana Colada, lobster.

Ivan's Stress Free Bar, short hike and great spot with cold drinks, esp Thurs evenings.

Head over the hill (call Bunn's taxi) to Great Harbor and hit Corsair's for Wench Juice or Pirates Punch, great breakfast if there in the morn.

And of course Foxy's and his Dread Foxx. He's fun to watch perform inthe afternoons.

In Little Harbor you have Sydney's Peace and Love, grab a beer from the honor bar and leave your sign.

Are you out of STT and your boat be stopping in Great Harbor for passport processing and lunch and Foxy's show before going to White Bay? Or are you out of VG or Tortola?

Are you out of STT and your boat be stopping in Great Harbor for passport processing and lunch and Foxy's show before going to White Bay? Or are you out of VG or Tortola?

We are taking Kuralu from our cruise ship stop in Tortola. We will stop at Sandy Spit before going to White Bay on Jost.

Aah, so you'll just have a little time in White Bay after snorkeling Green Cay and seeing Sandy Spit and you can compare the Soggy $ painkiller to Seddy's at least. The One Love Bar is just a short walk from Soggy $ if that's too crowded to enjoy.

Great cat, have a fun day!

Edited by blue_water

We are taking Kuralu from our cruise ship stop in Tortola. We will stop at Sandy Spit before going to White Bay on Jost.

We are taking a day trip with Kuralu as well in April. Let us know how it was and how long you were on Jost during the day trip. We appreciate any information on the day trip. Thanks.

5 stars all the way with Kuralu on tripadvisor and from friends of ours. We haven't been on her yet but plan to next time we stay on Tortola. She is one of the 3 most popular cats in the BVI.

Note that they alternate between the east itinerary (Norman Island, Willie T, & Indians) and the west itinerary (Green Cay, Sandy Spit, & Jost) as you read these reviews. Hopefully you'll have a couple hours in White Bay and you may even have time to taxi over to Foxy's and enjoy his songs but not sure. But the reviews are consistent!

Patouche and Aristocat are 2 others that are highly-regarded.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g147355-d1918918-Reviews-Kuralu_Private_Catamaran_Charters-Road_Town_Tortola_British_Virgin_Islands.html

Edited by blue_water

• 2 weeks later...
We are taking a day trip with Kuralu as well in April. Let us know how it was and how long you were on Jost during the day trip. We appreciate any information on the day trip. Thanks.

Just back from Kuralu. We had a great time with Captain Gary. We spent enough time to swim to the beach grab some drinks at a few bars, and swim back. Maybe an hour and a half tops. This was enough time for us, as we are not the lay out all day on a beach type. The snorkeling at Sandy Spit was also pretty good, not the best we have seen, but the coral is appeared to be very healthy. You will have a great time.

• 5 months later...

When traveling from Tortola to other area islands (Jost, St John, St Thomas, etc) and you decide to use New Horizon Ferry, PAY ONLY WITH CASH!!!!! These people are crooks and every single person in our group that used a credit card here had their card compromised and were either overcharged for the ferry or had their number stolen and subsequently had fraudulent charges on their accounts. BE WARNED, CASH ONLY ON NEW HORIZON FERRY SERVICE!!!!

When traveling from Tortola to other area islands (Jost, St John, St Thomas, etc) and you decide to use New Horizon Ferry, PAY ONLY WITH CASH!!!!! These people are crooks and every single person in our group that used a credit card here had their card compromised and were either overcharged for the ferry or had their number stolen and subsequently had fraudulent charges on their accounts. BE WARNED, CASH ONLY ON NEW HORIZON FERRY SERVICE!!!!

Strange indeed, welcome to cc but your first post and this hasn't ever been reported here or on tripadvisor or even TTOL. Harsh words - please provide details of your trip - from and to where, dates and times.

Edited by blue_water

Myself and 3 other people used the ferry service on 8/3. My card and one of my traveling partners then had fraudulent charges show up a few days later. The one person in our group that didn't have fraudulent charges did get his card charged $750 for a $50 ferry ride. Like I said, crooks. I'm not saying don't use them, I'm just suggesting that those who chose to use them, use cash because all of the evidence at hand suggests they are a bit unscrupulous.