Moorea and Tahiti, what to do in the evening?

UniPac

Hi everyone,

I am currently in to planning the next cruise and - of course - try to get most out this beautiful places which I don't think will be able to visit in near future.

On Tahiti, I have booked a tour but it will end approx. 6.30pm and the ship will be there until midnight. So my plan is to have early dinner and then spent some more time there. I wonder what you can do in the late evening?

On Moorea, I have about noon-6pm free time (land-based tour in the morning).

Are there some beaches close to the point the tender boats will dock?

Thanks in advance!

UP

For an evening in Papeete Tahiti, your two main choices are an evening show at a hotel, as suggested by Floridiana. The other classic choice is eating at the roulottes. These are food trucks that serve an evening dinner, right near the cruise ship pier. Google roulottes tahiti for more information. You didn't say what night of the week. The shows and roulottes are only open certain nights.

For Moorea, we cannot be sure which bay you will be anchored. The most common is Opunohu Bay. Cooks Bay is less commonly used. For Opeunohu bay, the tenders dock at Papetoi bay. I'm not sure where the tenders dock for Cooks bay.

There isn't really much to see in Papetoi. You probably want to take a taxi somewhere. Perhaps to the Intercontinental resort to see the dolphins. Alternately, you could get a water taxi ride out to one of the motus to get some beach time and snorkeling. As I remember, the motus are accessed near Restaurant Les Tipaniers.

The largest beach is pretty far away from Papetoi, between the airport and the Sofitel resort. I didn't think it was that great of a beach, but other people like it. Moorea isn't a great sandy beach destination, in the Hawaii or Caribbean sense. The beaches are pretty small. For me, the water attraction in Moorea is the snorkelling.

You might see if your morning land tour has a jet-ski add-on. Some of the ATV tour operators have an ATV and jet ski package. That would allow you to experience both the land and the water.

Thanks for your replies!

Night drops like a stone at 6 p.m. It's pitch black, very little light pollution, great star gazing.

If your ship does not provide a dance show in the evening, you might catch one at a hotel.

Star gazing sounds great, maybe I could take some nice pictures. Do you think it is possible/safe to just walk for 10min away from the pier to take pictures? Guess the ship and pier will be lighted so I need some distance.

Google roulottes tahiti for more information. You didn't say what night of the week.

There isn't really much to see in Papetoi. You probably want to take a taxi somewhere. Perhaps to the Intercontinental resort to see the dolphins. Alternately, you could get a water taxi ride out to one of the motus to get some beach time and snorkeling. As I remember, the motus are accessed near Restaurant Les Tipaniers.

The largest beach is pretty far away from Papetoi, between the airport and the Sofitel resort. I didn't think it was that great of a beach, but other people like it. Moorea isn't a great sandy beach destination, in the Hawaii or Caribbean sense. The beaches are pretty small. For me, the water attraction in Moorea is the snorkelling.

You might see if your morning land tour has a jet-ski add-on. Some of the ATV tour operators have an ATV and jet ski package. That would allow you to experience both the land and the water.

Tahiti = Saturday, Moorea = Sunday. The Roulottes sound nice!

Our tour has no jet ski addon. Do you think it is possible to rent a jetski for an hour or so as a DIY option?

Snorkeling would be great for Moorea! Do you have more information on the water taxis?

Edited by UniPac

[quote=Mercruiser;

The largest beach is pretty far away from Papetoi, between the airport and the Sofitel resort. I didn't think it was that great of a beach, but other people like it. Moorea isn't a great sandy beach destination

Wow are you kidding? Temae beach is one of the nicest/prettiest beaches anywhere!!! Sorry to disagree.

Larry

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

[quote name=Mercruiser;

The largest beach is pretty far away from Papetoi' date=' between the airport and the Sofitel resort. I didn't think it was that great of a beach, but other people like it. Moorea isn't a great sandy beach destination

Wow are you kidding? Temae beach is one of the nicest/prettiest beaches anywhere!!! Sorry to disagree.

Larry

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app[/quote]

Larry, Thanks for sharing. I think CC works best when we share a diversity of opinions, as you have. We have different opinions about this beach, but I'm guessing we both love Moorea.

Sent using Tapatalk

Yes indeed! My favorite island.

Larry, Thanks for sharing. I think CC works best when we share a diversity of opinions, as you have. We have different opinions about this beach, but I'm guessing we both love Moorea.

Sent using Tapatalk

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app