Deshaies, Guadaloupe

cruiseryder

• 2 weeks later...

hampshirelad thanks for the reply, we go in December. I would be interested in your thoughts after you have been. I was starting to think no one had visited before.

We have visited Isles des Saintes before and really liked it, hoping Deshaies is similar.

Will do cruiseryder . We have been to Isles des Saintes on a ship called the Windsurf some years ago. As I remember there was a fort on the Hill flying the French tricolour with Iguanas (small) in the trees riding the breeze. Later in the day there was talk of a raiding party returning under cover of darkness to run up the union jack. I was not part of that discussion !

• 1 month later...

I thought I would post a reply after visiting Deshaies.

We found it a charming little port. Very French Caribbean, good infrastructure, neat and tidy streets and friendly people. Yes you need Euros (which we had taken with us) and speaking French helps. You can walk over the hill to Grande Anse beach (took us about 20 mins gentle walk) which is a spectacular bay. Very natural but don't expect loungers and parasol hire. The trees overhang the beach so shade is possible towards the rear of the beach. There is also a bus service which goes from the port to the next town on the coast, or taxis. Between the road and beach there are a number of bars/cafes which looked to be serving French/Creole food and the usual Crepes and Gauffres.

In the southerly direction from the port it is possible to walk to the Botanical Gardens. Although we didn't have time to visit other cruisers said it was worthwhile. Shame we didn't have a little more info before we went as we could probably have done more.