aristocat or kuralu

tfg

We stay on Tortola and haven't taken either yet. Both are highly-regarded along with others like Patouche and we plan to take them all eventually. Kuralu will probably be our first choice based on reviews from others we've met on Tortola who enjoyed her, but the reviews for the others are just as compelling. So no help here I'm afraid!

Take a look at their reviews on tripadvisor, and another useful site for the BVI (and SXM) is traveltalkonline dot com.

Enjoy whichever you choose!

Blue water

Thanks for your reply very helpful as usual

I did contact patouche they said they are usually privately booked at that time of year as it is there busiest time.

Think i am leaning towards kuralu

Terry

We were on Kuralu a couple of weeks ago. We had a great time although we ended up with 15 of us (I believe that was the number) and was under the impression there would be less. It was crowded and several passengers had to sit in the back. The crew was great and I think everyone had a great time despite the tight quarters.

I have decided to book with aristocat,because kuralu said they didn't know what trips they would be offering on the day we want,and to contact them again in october.

I wanted to get something booked as i don't want to contact them in oct to be told they are full,so aristocat have my business although 10 people are required he doesn't think he will have a problem getting 10 people

Terry

• 2 weeks later...
I have decided to book with aristocat,because kuralu said they didn't know what trips they would be offering on the day we want,and to contact them again in october.

I wanted to get something booked as i don't want to contact them in oct to be told they are full,so aristocat have my business although 10 people are required he doesn't think he will have a problem getting 10 people

Terry

The Kuralu was VERY accommodating in what we wanted. I was one of those in "the back" and it in no way diminished my experience. In fact I even got the wheel for a brief time while they they were sorting out where to anchor. I thing it worked to our advantage that we were able to guarentee them a full booking which allowed us to set our agenda. Gary was spot on in his communications. I would not hesitate for one bit to recommend his boat for a day sail. Professional without being pushy...just really down to earth!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

• 4 weeks later...

We have done both and each had its advantages. IMHO, Aristocat was a better value for what we paid.

Crew on both were great. We had to take a taxi to Kuralu where Aristocat was right where the ship docks. Food on both was good. We took Kuralu mostly to visit Jost Van Dyke. Great to swim in and drink then swim back. The snorkeling on Aristocat was better, some of the best that we have done. Kuralu was more intimate but I think there were only 20 people on board Aristocat and we did not feel crowded at all.

Bang for the buck I would go with Aristocat.

Hope this helps -

Kristi

Kuralu alternates between the east side (Norman Island, Indians, etc) and the west side (Jost, Green Cay, Sandy Spit, etc) so the snorkel experience depends on the itinerary. The east side is very popular for snorkeling, especially at the NI caves, the Indians and Marina Cay.

Aristocat has a sister cat (Lionheart) also located in West End with Kuralu that may make the eastern itinerary but I haven't visited their site.

The best bet is to call each and see if they have their itinerary planned yet, but they generally don't until that week as the first group confirms a booking then they get to choose.

Edited by blue_water

• 2 months later...

We just got back on the Liberty including a stop in Tortola and am happy to say we selected Kuralu and had an awesome experience snorkeling at Sandy Spit and swimming at White Bay on JVD.

It is #1 tour on trip advisor and it is well deserved.

On a sad note, we heard Carnival won't be stopping in Tortola anymore ($ port kick back issues). What a shame. But youll still get all the usual boring stops by Carnival

Edited by LuckyZ

Yes the gov't in all their wisdom has signed a major agreement with another line that will quadruple the cruise line business on Tortola. Couldn't be worse news for folks like us who love vacationing there because it wasn't a major stop.

Thanks for your report on Kuralu, excellent outfit.

Edited by blue_water