Does anyone know the duty (tax) charges on Alcohol?

blrgrl

I know we're allowed to bring a couple of bottles of alcohol back from the Caribbean without paying duty, but I am hoping to bring a case of Tortuga Rum since you can't buy it in the US and it's my favorite rum. Does anyone know what I'll be charged per bottle beyond my duty-free items?

Thx in advance!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
I believe that it's like $6.00 a bottle to pay the overage duty tax

Not necessarily. It depends on what country you're bringing it into and it's retail value. Duty is (usually) a percnetage of the retail value (as determined by the customs authority).

"But, I only paid $3.00 per bottle, and at 4%, the duty should only be $0.12 cents per bottle . . ."

"Not our problem Ma'am. We value it at $250 per bottle. your duty is $10 per bottle."

Plus, if you are not a resident of whatever country you debark in, you could end up being charged more than once . . . i.e. - If you are from England, when you get off the ship in, let's say, Miami. You're hit with a duty on the liquor. Head to the airport and fly back to your home country. You'll probably be hit for duty there, too.

Now, if you have that case shipped directly to your home, you'll only have to pay duty once.