What's the difference between

lindasuej

What is the difference between the Tundra Wilderness Tour and the National History Tour at Denali. Is there a lot of hiking in one and not the other. Hubby had open heart a few years back and I doubt he would be able to do a lot of hiking over uneven terrain.

As always your input is most valuable.

Linda

No flames please. :)

There is a SIGNIFICANT difference between the two tours. Distance. The Natural History tour in my opinion is completely useless, only 16 miles into the park and the biggest kick- offered for free via the Park service shuttles with ranger activities. This is a great add on for independent visitors.

The Tundra Wilderness tour goes to mile 53. The Park Road into Denali Park is 90 miles. Farther is always better for scenery- don't miss Polychrome Pass- just spectactular scenery- mile 45. Farther is always better for wildlife. No hiking, you ride on the bus and can get off at the rest stops, about every 90 minutes. The tour buses have a guide and a driver.

If you are going independent, I never recommend either of these tours, go on the shuttle buses for 1/3 the cost to at least Fish Creek, mile 63.

Archived