Which port for shopping-Juneau/Skagway/Ketchikan

Buddysmom10

We're planning our tours, will rent a car in Skagway, not sure of the others yet but probably want to set aside a few hours in one of the towns to shop, see the town, etc. Which one is best or should we set aside a few hours in each in addition to the tours? We're not looking for anything specific to buy, just to check out the shops. Thanks!

We have found good shopping in all ports. We found that Gallery of the North in Juneau was very good for pictures, paintings, etc. We found tons of bargains in Ketchikan. We also found some good stuff in Skagway. I guess it all depends on what you are looking for. We only buy items related to Alaska. Jewellry stores are all over the place. We can buy that at home (cheaper as well). This will be our sixth trip back to Alaska and we find new stuff all the time. We like to shop but in our minds this cruise is for the scenery, nature, easy going atmosphere, etc. Enjoy your cruise

Watch out when buying the Ulu knives. The airlines will not allow these in carry on luggage. Security at the airport told me they confiscate thousands of these yearly from tourists. I carefully packaged mine and had it shipped home. And I do stress carefully pack and possibly double box, these blades are sharp! They are a wonderful thing to have at home. Next time I go I would like to get one that has the carvings on it.

CaribbeanBlue

http://www.*****.org

Here's a suggestion - buy all that stuff online before you go (it's almost all there now), and save your port time to see Alaska! Since a lot of the stuff you buy at the discount stores will end up in the next garage sale for 25 cents anyway, why not make the most of your travel investment?

Murray

Yukon, what site/company is best to buy Salmon on-line. Was going to buy it on the trip to ship to some family or friends but like the idea of doing it on-line and spending my time seeing Alaska.

Thanks

Yukon, what site/company is best to buy Salmon on-line. Was going to buy it on the trip to ship to some family or friends but like the idea of doing it on-line and spending my time seeing Alaska.

Taku's products are excellent - that's the shop right at the foot of the Mt. Roberts Tramway in Juneau - http://www.takusmokeries.com/

Murray

Archived