NCL Epic-Freedom of the Seas-Mariner of the Seas

mike257

So,

A bit of a guilty post as I am not a first time cruiser (having been on 5) but my girlfriend is the virgin cruiser. I have been on RCCL- Enchantment, Freedom and Navigator. Costa-Mediterreana, and Princess-Ruby.

A few questions come to mind. I am surprising her with this cruise and I am trying to be as cost effective as possible. Flights from my home city in Canada are quite expensive, but US airports are close by. We are going in February 2012 on vacation and I have narrowed it down to Freedom of the Seas, Mariner of the Seas, or NCL Epic.

Mariner for our sail date is 589 for interior pp

Freedom is 729

NCL Epic is 769

I have never been on NCL at all, regardless of Epic. I like having tables for 2 with her, as she is somewhat shy. I think it would be better in this regard? My time can be done I suppose as well on RCL.

Does anyone feel you lose anything taking Mariner from Galveston instead of leaving from FL? How long does it take the boat to get to the really warmer weather? It is the cheapest option, both flights and boat cost.

As well, does anyone feel you lose anything going from a Freedom class ship to a Voyageur class ship?

I have heard very mixed things about NCL Epic. On the one hand looks cool, and does leave from Miami which would be ideal. But there are mixed reviews on the food and overall atmosphere of the boat. Anyone have experience on this boat. I don't want to spend the 1500-1800 on Epic and feel it to be a big waste of my money. FYI weird cabins are a non issue, I like quirks and that frankly appeals to me a bit.

Basically looking for guidance! Confused on what would be the best overall wow experience for her. I was on Freedom in August and it was a great cruise!

thanks everybody!

The only difference in Galvaston vs. Fl, is the Gulf of Mexico....they both will be warm, depending on time of year....Both are warmer than Canada!!!!

Your "shy" girlfriend may be the Belle of the Ball at a larger table...folks LOVE to be listened to....good listeners are highly thought of.....tablemates can really make dinner fun and something to look forward to...

The only real difference in a Freedom vs. Voyager class is a bit of length.....they are almost the same ship...Freedom class is a "stretched" Voyager class ship.

True,

I recall being unhappy I was at a table of 12 for my first experience and gained some quality friends out of the mix.

So I'm glad to see we wouldn't lose anything, but gain about 400 bucks in spending money by choosing Mariner over Freedom!

However any thoughts on Epic?

I've sailed all three ships, including Epic twice. Given the choice of those three, I would choose Epic. I LOOOOOOVED Freedom as well, and felt Mariner was just "meh", but Epic gets my nod for the entertainment! We experienced every show and really, really loved it...so many options!

When it comes to saving money, that can be a big deal. You could use that $ for other things, so if that's the driving factor, you might choose Mariner. Whichever ship you choose, this will be her first cruise, and she will LOVE it no matter what!

Has anyone had anything negative with Epic? I want to be in Miami so its a good thing for sure. But, the lack of a center atrium and the small pools have been noted many times. Any issues with this for anyone having been on a NCL Epic sailing?

Also, have heard that NCL tends to nickel and dime more than say....RCI does. Anything to that?

Has anyone had anything negative with Epic? I want to be in Miami so its a good thing for sure. But, the lack of a center atrium and the small pools have been noted many times. Any issues with this for anyone having been on a NCL Epic sailing?

Also, have heard that NCL tends to nickel and dime more than say....RCI does. Anything to that?

I LOVED Epic, but you asked for negatives.

1. Like most big new ships now, there are only 2 banks of elevators -- 1 bank on each end of the ship. We missed not having center elevators.

2. I think it's Deck 8 where you may have a lifeboat obstructing your view when you look down from your balcony. If you're going to book a balcony, MAKE SURE you have a full view as the obstructed view costs the same.

3. Regarding nickeling and diming, so many people say that, but personally, we didn't have issues with this. We didn't feel like we had to pay for something we didn't want or that we could get for free on another line.

4. The pools were small, but the lounge areas were large both in the sun and shade.

I hope this helps!

Archived