San Juan tour on day of departure

jenf22

Hi all. We're on Jewel of the Seas on 11-Oct-14. We get into San Juan the evening of the 10th. We really want to see some of Old San Juan - especially the forts. We originally booked the Old and New San Juan with Airport Dropoff on the day we get back (18-Oct) but we had to cancel because our flight departs too early now. So we're trying to figure out a way to basically do that same tour BEFORE we get on the ship. The ship doesn't leave until 8:30pm but we'd want to be onboard by 5pm to get ready for dinner. I've found lots of threads about "Old San Juan on your own" and walking tours but we're going to have to check out of the hotel so we'll have luggage.

How early can we drop our luggage at the port? Are there any private tour companies that could pick us up from the hotel, do the excursion/tour, hold onto our luggage, and then drop us at the port?

The list of places we'd like to see is: El Morro, San Cristobal, La Fortaleza, Cathedral de San Juan, and possibly some shopping in Old San Juan. We will also have a 7 year old with us.

Thanks for any help!

Most airports no longer hold luggage (since 9/11). What you might think about is simply renting a car for the day. Use one of the local companies as they are much cheaper than national companies. Last year we had a car for about $25/day. Rain forest is great, but about a 45 min drive from OSJ. Evening before the kayack trip is neat, see the swamp glow as you paddle. Check tripadvisor for things to see and excursions. Have a great cruise.

• 2 weeks later...

The Carriage Company in Old San Juan offers a couple of tours going through those ares you mentioned. I think the largest tour would go though the City Hall, Plaza de Armas, Fortaleza (the Governor’s Mansion), the Capitol building, San Cristobal Fort and Plaza Colon. The cost of that one I believe is around 70 bucks per couple. Its ran by a pretty nice local family, they'd store the stuff for you forrr sure while on the ride, I bet if you offer them like 10-15 bucks they'd store the stuff for you a while longer if you see something you like and want to run back to it. There info is: Caribbean Carriage Corporation at 787-397-1747 or 787-360-5686. or just walk by and see what youre working with, they are in front of pier 1 and the tourism company.