Is it worth it.. Wismar?

If I go from Waremunde to Schwerin for a port excursion, is it worth it to also see Wimar too?

To go to Schwerin, I could go see either Wismar or Rostock. Rostock would be closer and be along the same route to Schwerin so it'd take less time to travel there than to Wismar.

I know Wismar has the UNESCO World Heritage thing going for it, but does it mean it would a pleasant place to visit? There are some places that are World Heritage sites, but that doesn't mean they're a beautiful or interesting place to visit.

Part of the problem is that I'm looking at pictures of Wismar and Rostock and they look pretty similar in those pictures.

Wismar gets described as Hanseatic Wismar, but I'll also be going to see another Hanseatic city in Tallinn on my Baltic cruise. If I go to see Wismar, will I be seeing something similar in Tallinn.

Do you fear Wismar and Tallinn are alike because of pictures like this?:

Wismar:

Tallnin:

site_0822_0006-500-365-20140110115019.jpg

Its not surprising that there are similarities between the two world heritage sites: they're both hanseatic cities with preserved historic centers from the 13-15th century.

But, Wismar was chosen for its brick gothic buildings whereas Tallinn was chosen for its preserved medieval walls and towers. (Many European cities had similar walls and towers but tore those down whereas Tallinn retained these structures.)

Edited by hobbess

I read up on Brick Gothic buildings in Wikipedia but I still don't understand the signifigance of Wismar.

According to Wikipedia's link to BrickGothic, its a architectural style found in Northern Germany and across the Baltic Sea. Its found in a lot of countries and cities like Belarus, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, Germany, Latvia, Lithuania, Netherlands, Poland, Russia, and Sweden.

But, if its so common, what was so unique about Wismar that Wismar was granted UNESCO's World Heritage approval while other cities with Brick Gothic architecture wasn't?

Edited by dana r.

I read up on Brick Gothic buildings in Wikipedia but I still don't understand the signifigance of Wismar.

According to Wikipedia's link to BrickGothic, its a architectural style found in Northern Germany and across the Baltic Sea. Its found in a lot of countries and cities like Belarus, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, Germany, Latvia, Lithuania, Netherlands, Poland, Russia, and Sweden.

But, if its so common, what was so unique about Wismar that Wismar was granted UNESCO's World Heritage approval while other cities with Brick Gothic architecture wasn't?

I don't know the answer to your question, but I enjoyed seeing Wismar and Schwerin. I think you're over-analyzing this.

Edited by NancyIL

I can tell you that I haven't seen that brick style anywhere else but in Wismar. They don't have the stucco covering as seen in other Northern European countries, they are red brick in the gothic architechtural style and very interesting to see. The different 'gates' to the one time city walls are each different and very photo-worthy.

I agree with the other poster, you are over thinking this, the churches are very interesting and St. Nicolai is beautifully painted inside. Look for the piggy statues on one of the bridges crossing the canal, and be sure to wear really good walking shoes as the cobbles in that town are lethal!