Panning for gold in Anchorage

pookeycat

DF has said that he really would like to go panning for gold while we are in Alaska. We will actually be in Anchorage for about 3 days prior to our cruise sailing.

Is there any place that anyone would recommend in the Anchorage area to do this? I have seen a few places online, but have nto really found much information on it.

Thanks in advance!

I'm not sure, but i don't think there was ever any gold in Anchorage. If you pan there it will be strictly tourist stuff.

Fairbanks, however, is another story.

If you are in Juneau, you can go gold panning there in very nearly the same spot where gold was discovered, the appropriately named Gold Creek. The way that panning adventure works is this: You're given a pan to "learn" with, that you can be pretty sure you'll find gold in. Then, you are turned loose in the creek with your pan and a shovel. Most people find a few flakes.

You will find that most port stops will have gold panning trips. Most are pretty fake (you'll be in troughs). But the one in Juneau, and there's probably one or more in Fairbanks, that are much more real.

Crow Creek Mine in Girdwood is the place you want to go. But before you head down there stop by Alaska Mining and Diving Supply in Anchorage. That is the premier mining supply store in Alaska. They will get you hooked up on where the best spots are at Crow Creek and other places. Beside bears, prospecting is my number 2 hobby. Crow Creek in the Anchorage area and Gold Dredge #8 in Fairbanks are must see's.

Also, Crow Creek rents gold pans, sluices, shovels and all that kind of junk. I think you should bring your own rubber boots or at least some shoes to get wet in. If your in Fairbanks stop in the Alaska Prospectors Store. They people that run it are pretty darn smart. They have been mining in Alaska almost as long as it's been a state.

Archived