GoPro & Snorkeling

Singer4Him

DH received a GoPro for Father's Day and plans to use it on our upcoming cruise. He's wondering what will be the best thing to use with the GoPro while snorkeling. Will the head strap mount be sufficient or will we need something else?

We just got off the breeze a couple weeks ago. I used a GoPole for almost all of my gopro shots, inside the water and out. Check out the breeze video in my signature and you will see some of the unique shots you can get using the GoPole.

Another benefit is it changes the center of gravity so it acts like a stabilizer.

If you're snorkeling, I would also recommend the EelVision underwater filters. They are cheap on amazon and they make a huge difference on your underwater video.

Here's the video I took:

Have fun!

We just got off the breeze a couple weeks ago. I used a GoPole for almost all of my gopro shots, inside the water and out. Check out the breeze video in my signature and you will see some of the unique shots you can get using the GoPole.

Another benefit is it changes the center of gravity so it acts like a stabilizer.

If you're snorkeling, I would also recommend the EelVision underwater filters. They are cheap on amazon and they make a huge difference on your underwater video.

Here's the video I took:

Have fun!

Thanks so much for the info! I'm going to check our your video now and will share it with my hubby! Any other tips or tricks that you'd like to share would certainly be welcomed!!

Excellent video, Pyroguy! What editing program do you use? We've been using FinalCut Pro but someone recently introduced us to some of the major upgrades to iMovie. Which do you prefer?

Thanks! I use Adobe Premiere pro for editing.

All of the gopro shots in that movie were using the GoPole. Low on road, upside down on segway (flipped in post), the balcony shot outside, jumping in the water selfies, and all of the water park big bucket shots...I won't shoot gopro without it now.

Pyroguy, I was checking out some of your other videos and stumbled upon the Hillsong Live video and I must say that I'm so jealous! We've been fans of Darlene Zschech and Hillsong for many years but have never had the opportunity to see them live. Thanks so much for sharing!!

Pyroguy, I was checking out some of your other videos and stumbled upon the Hillsong Live video and I must say that I'm so jealous! We've been fans of Darlene Zschech and Hillsong for many years but have never had the opportunity to see them live. Thanks so much for sharing!!

Awesome. I actually run the lighting system for our church (we don't get to get as crazy as they do), but we do play "With Everything" and I've been able to get some neat effects with it. My favorite song. I end up sitting in the tech booth singing loud to that one ;-)

DH received a GoPro for Father's Day and plans to use it on our upcoming cruise. He's wondering what will be the best thing to use with the GoPro while snorkeling. Will the head strap mount be sufficient or will we need something else?

There are a treasure chest full of GoPro tips for snorkeling on YouTube.

I would suggest getting a red filter for your GoPro from Amazon. They range from $15-$28 depending on your GoPro model.

Also, filming underwater is more difficult than filming regularly. Try to move as sloooowly as possible underwater. The slightest movements underwater often make your video somewhat "shakey."

Pyroguy - great footage BTW!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

I use the wrist strap while snorkeling but like others have said, you need to keep it still and smooth or the video comes out shaky. It is possible to smooth it out in post production which is what I needed to do. Here is my video.

• 1 month later...

I'm bringing up an old thread but I just found this section and hopefully it helps someone.

All of this is pretty much what others have said so just confirming. The wrist strap is very difficult to capture smooth video. I like the head strap, but depending on your goggles it can be a strange fit and sometimes the angle looks "weird" but that's just my opinion. The GoPole! WHOOP, WHOOP! I use the reach because it extends from like 17 inches to about 50? I forget, but it can shrink down for packing in a laptop case and for snorkeling in shallow waters that is great, then when you have it extended all the way out it is totally awesome for "creatures" further away. I have some very cool shots of various fish and the like that normally didn't like you to get too close, but they did not mind the GoPole Reach getting close to them. Also, it is easy to adjust on the fly. For instance, I have had trouble getting a great push diving down with it fully extended, but when I shorten it up I can dive down pretty normally and have an extra 2 feet for closer shots. Plus my favorite, it's easy to flip the camera around on the fly for SELFIE SHOTS! :D

Ok, I'll stop ranting, but just another thumbs up for the GoPole, particularly the Reach version of it that extends. I also have and like the bobber and I can go on forever about how great that is and the many ways I have gotten awesome uses out of it but I will just shut up for now and say get both or one of the GoPole packages! Awesome stuff!