Where Can I Find a Map of the Panama Canal for Purchase?

dongordon

I have no idea where you could purchase a map showing the locks. I'm sure what I have attached is not exactly what you are looking for, but it does give you an idea of the relationship of the locks with the Canal and the rest of the immediate area. There is a lot of clutter of names towards the Pacific side, however Miraflores and Pedro Miguel can be picked out fairly easily and the route of the Canal is well marked. The other thing is the orientation of the map is not your traditional "North on top"... the Atlantic side (left side of picture, Colon)is the North end of the Canal and the Pacific side is the south end (right side of pic, Panama). I uploaded two of same map, the second one is a large file so you may have to use the scroll bar to get the entire image.

2d8q4iu.jpg

wbf1uf.jpg

You can find a map in the Anne Vipond book Panama Canal by Cruise Ship. the book i got is the fourth edition which included the map. The map is in colour and gives the location of the old and new locks as well as other points of interest. :)

Thank you.

I have the other Panama Canal books and I was looking for a map I could take with me instead of a book.

Guess I will have to order this book also!! :)

Don

The map is removable from the book and is approx 20inx48in. I read the book before the cruise and then just took the map with me on the cruise.I put the map on the wall the day of transiting the canal and took a picture of the map at every lock so we knew where the pictures were taken. :)

Usually the cruise line puts maps from the Canal in staterooms the night before the transit. All of these maps are pretty basic. If you want the detailed charts of the Canal $27 from http://www.nauticalchartsonline.com. Even waterproof should you be caught out on deck in a tropical downpour. Not a bad souvenir of your trip.

Regards, Richard

Usually the cruise line puts maps from the Canal in staterooms the night before the transit. All of these maps are pretty basic. If you want the detailed charts of the Canal $27 from http://www.nauticalchartsonline.com. Even waterproof should you be caught out on deck in a tropical downpour. Not a bad souvenir of your trip.

Regards, Richard

Are you familiar with the map mentioned by" juniper berries "in the book?

Which one do you think would be better for tracking the transit?

BTW...I love your book.

I am using the information to provide my roll call with facts each day.

I am already up to Chapter 10!! :)

Don

Are you familiar with the map mentioned by" juniper berries "in the book?

Which one do you think would be better for tracking the transit?

BTW...I love your book.

I am using the information to provide my roll call with facts each day.

I am already up to Chapter 10!!

Don, Glad you are enjoying my book [PANAMA CANAL DAY: AN ILLUSTRATED GUIDE TO CRUISING THE PANAMA CANAL] and hope you tell all your friends to buy it ;) and write a review on Amazon. The book "juniper berries" is referring to is PANAMA CANAL BY CRUISE SHIP by Anne Vipond. I think the fold out map at the back of the book is, frankly, one of the best things about the book. The map is on heavy stock and can easily be removed to use while you are doing the transit. The information, as much as she gives, about the Canal and Panama is good, but the book itself is 1/3 about the Panama Canal itself and 2/3 general, somewhat boiler plate information about cruising and all the other ports you might happen to visit on a Panama Canal itinerary. Stuff like which officer has how many bars on the shoulders, Mexican Riviera, Florida, California, Caribbean islands, stuff that first time cruisers may find helpful. My favorite, which has given crew members tons of laughs, is her statement on page - well many of the pages aren't numbered including this one! - "The Purser's Office/Front Desk is the pleasure center of the ship." The poor kids that work the front desk never knew! But the map is great, almost worth the price of he book [$21.95].

So I'm not just pushing MY book ... other books I like are PANAMA FEVER by Matthew Parker and THE CANAL BUILDERS by Julie Greene. The old standard is THE PATH BETWEEN THE SEAS: THE CREATION OF THE PANAMA CANAL 1870-1914 by David McCullough. McCullough is a great historian and the book, although long and weighty, is a great read once you get into it. If there is a problem about McCullough's book for today's cruisers it is that it is a specific history of 1870-1914 and the building of the existing Canal. So much has happened since ... and it is important to understand Panama today and the Canal's role as the "crossroads of the world."

Regards, Richard

Hi Richard....

Thanks for the info....I will take your advice and buy the book to get the map.

I have McCullough's book on kindle.....very long and not half as interesting as your book!!

I will certainly do a review on your book on Amazon when I finish reading it (which should be by next week!! :)

I am really enjoying it..I will certainly be prepared when we do the transit in January.

I have already warned my wife that I will be on deck at 5:00 AM that morning as we approach the entrance to the canal.

How are your three dogs doing?

I have 4 Cats....also one named "Spot!"

Regards and thanks.

Don

Don ... Thanks!!! Cruising the Canal is something to get excited about, not just another day in a town overrun with Diamonds International, etc.! So I know you'll have a fantastic cruise. It's 3:30 am in Panama - I'm an early riser, even before the roosters start! The dogs, especially Spot, are in the dog house, outside, for deciding to all howl for the fun of it, inside the house at 2 am. At least cats don't howl! Regards, Richard

Good Morning Richard...

I started to read your Blog.

FANTASTIC!!

It is so informative and interesting. The videos were great.

Thanks to you, I will certainly be well informed on the Canal by the time January gets here. :)

Am I correct that the starboard side of the ship will provide the best view of the construction of the new canal (I am going from south to north on the canal)?

Also how are they constructing the new canal.....are they going south to north or vice versa?

Is it very close to the present canal or will I require binoculars?

Regards and thanks.

Don

Don, You will see some evidence of the new construction although most if it, by necessity, is set back from the existing locks and Canal. If you're on the top deck, bring your binoculars. You'll see some ongoing dredging as well. It's not like you are sailing through a construction site. Regards, Richard

panama-canal-expansion-image2.jpg

Don, You will see some evidence of the new construction although most if it, by necessity, is set back from the existing locks and Canal. If you're on the top deck, bring your binoculars. You'll see some ongoing dredging as well. It's not like you are sailing through a construction site. If you haven't already checked it out, take a look at the Canal de Panama Web site: www.pancanal.com Regards, Richard

panama-canal-expansion-image2.jpg

Thank you Richard...

I will have my binoculars ready!

I so not know if you celebrate "Labor Day" in Panama, but it is "Labor Day Weekend" here in the states.

It kind of signals the end of our summer season....upsetting for those who enjoy the summsr weather (my favorite season!! :))

Regards,

Don

• 4 weeks later...
Does anyone know where I can purchase a map of the Panama Canal which shows the different locks?

Don

Hi Don!

This is Brent and Beth from the Breakaway 1/5/14. We chatted a little on that roll call, but we never met up on that cruise. We did stop by your room one day but nobody was there. I see you are doing the Panama Canal! Beth and I are doing the same, but on Princess Jan 3rd 2015 to the 14th.

Brent/Beth

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Don!

This is Brent and Beth from the Breakaway 1/5/14. We chatted a little on that roll call, but we never met up on that cruise. We did stop by your room one day but nobody was there. I see you are doing the Panama Canal! Beth and I are doing the same, but on Princess Jan 3rd 2015 to the 14th.

Brent/Beth

Hi Brent and Beth...

Sorry we never got to meet on the Breakaway.

I am so looking gorward to the Panama Canal cruise :)

I am disappointed you are not on the NCL Panama Canal cruise with another chance to meet.

Perhaps our paths will meet sometime in the future.

Have a great cruise!!

Don