Just returned from the Holiday

awsmrn

This was our first cruise and can't wait to go again!!! If the Holiday ship is the smallest of the fleet then it can only get better. We had a wonderful time.

Sept 6th we arrive at the NO. cruise terminal at 10:15. At 11:30 we started the embarkation process, showed our tickets & proof of citizenship. Received our S&S cards & room keys. Then had another wait before they allowed us on board. By 12:15 we were on the ship having our welcome aboard lunch. Our luggage arrived to our rooms at 3pm. Our rooms were more spacious than expected. The water pressure in the showers were not that great most of the time. The beds were actually quite comfortable. The staff were polite but not outwardly friendly. I heard that the staff on the Holiday are not as good as other ships, however we really had no complaints. They all were helpful. Our dinning staff were great, but they did not seem to warm up and have fun with us untill Thursday night. We enjoyed their entertainment in the dinning room. We had late dinning at 8pm, I think I will choose early dinning when we go again just because some of the games and shows were accuring during our dinner and therefore we missed out on those.

Playa Del Carmen: We docked in Calica which is only ten min. outside PDC. We chose a horseback riding excursion available from Carnival which cost $89.00 pp. We had a nice time but I would not recomend this excursion for those who have very little riding experience. It seemed to me very hard to control the horses. If they wanted to head for the pasture for a bite to eat there was no stopping them. Some of the horses were kicking & or biting other horses. The horses like to stop, drop and roll on the beach so you have to be prepared to jump off quickly to avoid being layed on. My DH's horse actually stopped, dropped & rolled right into the ocean, DH got quite wet but no hurt, thank goodness! Don't get me wrong, we had fun trotting down to the beach and riding along the ocean. The ranch is very pretty and the food they served was good, but with the way the horses behaved this is not something I would do again or recomend to a new ridder. There were just too many people who seem scared of the horses. After our excursion we did a little shopping. The streets are still underconstruction, it was a little rainy the day we visited which left the streets muddy and filled with puddles. Here is one thing that we had not expected to see, the police there were carried automatic machine guns, that was a little scary to see. Stopped by Senior Frogs for a small bite of food and drinks, had a great time there. The staff were friendly and fun. There was a guy there who did balloon characters, he made me a bugs bunny hat and my DD a full bodied tweety, they were vary cute!!!

Cozumel: We decided to do the unlimited snorkel offered by Carnival which cost $39.00. We spent about 1 1/2 hr. there which according to the brochure was to be 2 1/2 hr. We had a good time though and have some great pics. I do wish that we would have done the Catamaran sail, snorkel and beach party though for $59.00 pp. Those people partied on the sail boat, snorkled and partied on the beach with an open bar. Oh well, next time!!! After our snorkeling we headed to Paradise Beach!!!! Very nice, clean and beautiful!!! Lunch with a total of 5 alcoholic drinks cost $80.00.

Well not sure what else everyone wants to know so feel free to ask me questions and I'll be happy to answer them!!!!

Sounds like U all had a great time and thanks for the info, we have a cruise out of Mobile Nov, 8th. I would like to ask U a question. Can you take a travel iron on board. I cannot stand the thought of havinng to wear wrinkled clothes and I know that after packing and all our clothes will be quite wrinkled??? Have heard alot of different stories so can U enlighten me on this alittle???

So what excursion would you suggest for two that have never been on a cruise before. We are actually going with a group of 24 but after we board we are all on our own as far as what we want to do.

Thanks again for your info.

Sailing soon,:)

Will you be on the Holiday? Where will you be going for your ports of call? My understanding was that no travel irons are allowed on board. I took a travel steamer to use. There is a small laundry area on each stateroom floor equiped with free use of iron and iron board. Washer and dryer are coin operated, don't know how much as I did not use them. Actually I was surprised as to how little our clothes were wrinkled.

Are you porting in PDC and cozumel? I have a shore excursion book from Carnival with a price list. Are you wanting leisure relaxed activity or more exciting get a little dirty activity???

Can you take a travel iron on board.

Suzie, hope you don't mind I'm gonna jump in here a second. Irons are NOT allowed in cabins on ANY Carnival ship. When you receive your "Welcome Aboard" booklet with your documents, all this information is in there. No irons and no candles - huge safety hazards. Buy some Wrinkle Release - works great!...or use the iron in the laundry room.:)

I've cruised on the Holiday three times, and my son will be on her soon after she relocates to Mobile. Great ship, you'll have a wonderful time!

The staff were polite but not outwardly friendly. I heard that the staff on the Holiday are not as good as other ships, however we really had no complaints. They all were helpful. Our dinning staff were great, but they did not seem to warm up and have fun with us untill Thursday night.

Welcome back! Glad y'all had such a nice time on the Holiday. I'm surprised, however, that you didn't find the staff very friendly, as I've always had just the opposite impression. But, as you said, no real complaints.

Usually, the team I have had in the dining room has been great, funny, and kept me laughing, or at least smiling. I've had only one cruise where the waiter was older (about my age?:D ), and didn't seem to be quite as enthusastic as I would have liked....but the asst. waiter made up for him by being super-charming and adorable.

Thx for your review. I always like hearing others talk about the Holiday!:)

Will you be on the Holiday? Where will you be going for your ports of call? My understanding was that no travel irons are allowed on board. I took a travel steamer to use. There is a small laundry area on each stateroom floor equiped with free use of iron and iron board. Washer and dryer are coin operated, don't know how much as I did not use them. Actually I was surprised as to how little our clothes were wrinkled.

Are you porting in PDC and cozumel? I have a shore excursion book from Carnival with a price list. Are you wanting leisure relaxed activity or more exciting get a little dirty activity???

I'm suppose to leave on the Holiday on Monday, guess that is dependant on Ivan and his route... What were the prices for some of the excursions in Cozumel and Playa Del Carmen.. We are interested in the ATV ride, Pirates Dinner, or the Beach Party

awsmrn.....................We are going to Cozumel and Play de Carman also. And about the type of excursions........We just want to have a good time and would love to know which excursions are good and worth the money. I have read alot about some of the excursions and some people say that they are not as long as they were advertised to be , some saying they did not like this or that. I would just like to know what or if you would suggest one over another!!!

We are not really party animals!! We just love to have a good time.

Thanks for the info on the irons!!! We have not gotten our WElcome Info yet!!

Thanks again and any info that we might need please pass along. LIKE , do we need night a night light, a power plug for extra outlets...........And the last night you have to put your luggage out at midnight .... can you tell me alittle about that???

Hope U are ok with me asking these questions, But I have never been so confused with all these questions and answer things and everyone having such a diferent oppion.

Sailing soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!:cool:

Ortho, I hope Ivan doesn't interfere with your cruise plans. Watching the weather channel a few minutes ago, I've decided to go ahead and start boarding up tomorrow. Not a happy turn that's happening...:(

Susie, if you're in an inside cabin, you might want to take a night light, but you could just leave your bathroom door ajar for light. I take a little lighted dial travel clock (WalMart $4) so I can check the time during the night. WM also has little .99 "adapters" that will hold three plugs - and you can just plug it into the one receptacle by the dresser.

And yes, you have to have all your luggage out in the hallway prior to midnight on the last evening. The stewards will take it during the night to be unloaded the next morning.

Hi Sara. :DWould you believe only once a year for the past three years?

Yes, I do love the Holiday. I think I could walk thru the decks blindfolded, and will definitely sail on her again. Just needing a change this year - so I'll be on the Sensation 11/1.

BTW, I love your name. One of my daughters is named Sara.:)

Hi Cotton

I am just interested to know how many times have you been on this ship? I think it would probably set a record?? I loved this ship and we was only on it two times last year?

Sara

Norway 1994

Holiday 2001

Holiday 2002

Holiday 2003

Sensation 2004

:p

As for the OP, did you talk with people about which excursions were fun at Calica? I am interested in Xel-Ha but a bit worried about the time restraints. What else is there to do in Calica/PdC because that port of call board is not visisted at all, and just like some info. thanks! :D

Hello everyone,

OrthoRN: the following were listed in PDC: the ATV jungle & beach adventure is $99 pp for 4.5 hrs 2 of which will be spent on the ATV. You will go the the Rancho Loma Bonita Rach which is where we were for our horseback riding excursion. They will serve you lunch back at the ranch, we were served nachos with cheese, spaghetti (odd choice I thought), black beans and a drink. They did have a bar available at an additional charge. I have some pictures I'm downloading on the web. I will get back to you and let you know where you can view them later today. I do not see the pirate dinner as an available option. Calica beach break is $39 pp for 4 hrs. You go to La Playa beach with a complimentary domestic open bar, beach chairs & VB courts, non-motorized water toys.

The one thing we did not know is this, we thought we were to be in PDC from 9-6 but they allowed us to stay until 9:30pm. If I had know this before buying my excursions I probably would have done the Xcaret park which is $59 pp, although if you get your own ride I think I read the entrace to the park was 40-50 dollars. Oh and speaking of ride, beware of the taxi drivers, they do no drive like we do. They are very fast, ride the bumpers of other cars. It was a little scary for me but I am a horrible back seat driver!!

Ok back to the excursion, the Cavern and beach excursion with lunch is $99 pp or with out lunch is $69 pp for 5hrs. Our dinner table companions had a wonderful time with this one. The 4x4 cavern & beach is $89 pp for 5hrs. You drive this 4x4 through wild terrain, stop at a natural cave to discover the underground rivers and cenotes, they let you swim there. Then you go to Xpu-Ha beach and enjoy the time left.

Now for Cozumel, Jungle ATV $99 pp for 3.5 hrs.You are on a one person ATV that take you through the junge of the Mayan's to an unexcavated burial ground & temples. Cold beverage will be served. The Catamaran Sail & snorkel is $59pp for 3.5 hrs where you board the 65 ft. sail. Snorkel in pristine water. After the snorkel enjoy complementary beer, margaritas or soda while you make your way to the beach where you will enjoy your time left. The Play Mia Beach Break Delux is $65 pp for 5hrs. They will take you to the beach which will have an open bar.

I hope this helps, if you need more of diff. info let me know.

Have a wonderful time!!! I'm so ready to go back!!!! Let me know how it goes. I hope the weather will cooperate. We had only one day in PDC that it rained but nothing that spoiled our day.

Sailing Suzie,

Not sure I'll be much help in the excursion dept. Please read the above post to OrthoRN. I think Xcaret would be a good run for you money as long as the ship docks all day.Get on the bus first thing in the morn, go to the park and don't leave until 8:30 pm. They have shuttle buses every 25 min. taking people back and forth. I would do the Catamaran to for $59, those that I talked to said they had a fun time.

If you or anyone is intereset I can scan the price list & e-mail it to you. If you are interested in one particular I can scan &e-mail the description.

Ok now for the what to brings: As Cotton said the night light would be a good idea. Defenitly take a power plug. Duct tape, my DH thought I was nuts until he used it on our vent in the romm. Our room seemed a little hotter than our daughters room so he used the duct tape and paper to direct the flow of the AC on us while we slept. Bring plenty of film, again Dh thought I was nuts for bringing 11 rolls, come to find out we had to buy 2 more disposable cameras for a whopping $14 a piece. Bring Downy wrinkle release, blowdryer, bubble wrap for breakables, manilla envelope with think cardboard inside to keep any pics you buy on board or on your excursions, clothes pins came in handy, there is a clothes line in the shower for you to use and hang those wet suits up to dry, shawl or sweater as some areas on the ship are quite cool, like the dinning room and lounges. In the bathrooms they provide complimentary soap, shampoo, colgate tooth paste, bic razors & listerine power strips.

As far as the luggage question if you want them to take care of the luggage for you then yes have it outside you cabin by 12am. They will store it and take it off the ship for you. The next morning you will wait in a designated area on the ship, when they call for you then you leave the ship and pick up your luggage in the terminal. However, if you wish to self assist walk off keep your luggage and you will cary it the next morning with you to the 8th floor. They ask you to wait in the Americana lounge at 7:45 am. Now this was a bit of a hassle but we were one of the first off the ship. Here is how it went, our cabins are on the 5th floor, we waited for an elevator but whenever one stopped it was already full. So we decided to lug it up 3 flights. We did ok since there were 4 of us to cary it all. by the time we made it to the 8th floor the halls were jammed packed. There was no way we were getting to the lounge. So we waited on the stairway for about 10-15 min. Then they let us off. Since we were not in the lounge the exit door was just a few feet from where we were standing, so off we went. So I guess my advice would either let them deal with your luggage and get off the boat sometime between 9-10 or cary your own luggage and hope you get stuck waiting in the hall near the exit door. We were in a hurry to get off the boat to make a flight but if you dont' need t hurry, sit back let them take the luggage while you wait and have a drink and visit with people.

If there is any thing elese I can help answer, let me know!!!

Seven when we went to Cancun last year for a week we did Xel-ha. It is a great place. The place is bueatiful and they park is very enviroment friendly-the only suntan lotion you can use is the kind that is safe for the enviroment. And yes they wiil check your bag. We spent the entire day there and I still don't think we saw everything there was. Not sure about the time constraints on a cruise but if you can I would definately reccomend a trip to Xel-ha.

Thanks awsmrn.....

Your info is very helpful!!!! I really would love for you to send me a copy of the excursion you said you had, my e-mail address is steph@avsia.com

I did look at your pic also ................Looks like you all had a great time!!!

The shoe organizer thing had already been mentioned to me from someone, but a great idea.

Hope everyone is safe from this hurricaine!!!!!

Thanks again,:cool:

Suzie

We just booked the 2 nt cruise to nowhere for tomorrow. My daughter and I are being "really brave" and taking her 3 year old and 4 year old. I know the play area is VERY limited, but it does show a kid's pool and playroom - anyone know anything about this?

Also we were wondering if they would even have much for activites on this "impormptu" cruise?

My husband & I are flying into New Orleans for the Minnesota Vikings - New Orleans Saints game and were planning on spending 4 days laying on Pensacola Beach - Thanks alot Ivan - now we are looking at the Holiday on the 21st of Oct. What is the eariest time you can depart with taking the luggage yourself ?

This is our anniversary so we really want it to be special. This would be our 9th cruise but never with Carnival - Please don't flame me- We are looking at a Cat 12 as I have to have a balcony. Anyone had those cabins before? The cruise is out of Mobile I am wondering how hard it would be to fly out of New Orleans and make a 11:25 am flight?

As far as I know the Pensacola airport is closed and will be for up to 3 weeks.( that is where we were supposed to fly out of ) So far Northworst airlines is not being helpful and flying out of Mobile is really pricey. So New Orleans it will be. Anyone have any suggestions for me? How far is it from Mobile port to New Orleans Airport?

Thank you very much for your help.

Patty

Archived