San Francisco For A First Timer...

josephml1

San Franicisco is a beautiful city. I suggest that you do a few of the standard "tourist" things...

Alcatraz

Pier 39

Fisherman's Wharf

Cable Car

Exploratorium & Golden Gate Park

Sausalito

Muir Woods

There are plenty of things to do - but we need more information. Will you have a car? Where are you staying? Ages & interests of people in your party... Time of year you will be there.

Suziehmkr is correct that more information on interests and ages would be a big help.

There is also:

cruising on the bay

de Young Museum

SF Museum of Modern Art

Giradelli Square

Chinatown

North Beach

Hyde Pier

SF Zoo

Coit Tower

Walk across Golden Gate Bridge

Palace of Fine Arts

Segway tours

great shows

and so on and so on.

This is my favorite City.

For "where to eat", I'll give my generic advice:

San Francisco is one of the best restaurant towns in the world...There are so many good places to eat that it all really depends on what you want...

I usually wander aimlessly and let my nose lead me...Seriously...

Try "North Beach"...it's not really a beach at all...it's basically the area along Columbus between Chinatown and the Fishermans' Wharf area...It has some of the best restaurants you'll find anywhere, especially good Italian restaurants...

I'm not too big a fan of San Francisco's Chinatown...the restaurants there don't match up to what you can find down in SoCal in areas like Alhambra and Monterey Park...but they do exude history and a certain sleazy "you 've got to try this" factor...Many are good, if not great...For a tourist, well worth the experience...Along Grant Avenue and the streets adjacent...

Though I tend to shy away, a lot of tourists like to dine at Fishermans' Wharf...May be a little overpriced...but it's the location and atmosphere

...and there are other great places to eat all over the City...I'm sure others here can give you specific suggestions...There have been a few threads on it...

With four days, you have a lot of choices...Aside from the above, you may want to take a day and venture up to the wine country (Napa, Sonoma)...it's a fair ride out of the city, but there are many great winery tours and wine-tasting opportunities...

In the City, my usual preference is to just walk around the City itself...Chinatown, Fishermans' Wharf...Check out Lombard Street (the curvy part)...Prearrange that Alcatraz tour if you can...

Have fun...

I think you've been given some great advice regarding things to see. It is a fairly large city, but the public transportation (Munni, BART,cabs) is pretty good. As far as places to eat, I think following your nose is the best advices. I don't like to eat in Chinatown, it's really dirty and I'd be very wary of eating there but my standard of dirty and yours might be completely different so if it's something you've wanted to do before check it out. There are some great walking tours of the city available, do a Google search online. Some of the areas I've heard of walking tours are Chinatown, North Beach, Russian Hill, Haight Ashbury, and I'm sure there are many others. There's a really neat walking area called Fort Funston right on the beach, but I'd caution you about our current...many people have been taken by the undertow so it's not to be messed with. Mel's Diner is a fun place, it's a 50's style diner and the food is pretty good, and there are a couple of locations scattered throughout the city. Hard Rock is right on Pier 39, as well as Bubba Gumps which are rather touristy although I've had the food at Hard Rock and it's not too bad. My DH lived in the city when we were dating so I spent weekends playing tourist. Nob Hill is fun, you can walk down it or drive down. I also like hanging out in Union Square and looking in all the fancy shops. I would also take a trip across the Bay Bridge or take BART to Berkeley and hang out for a day on University Ave or walk the campus. Alcatraz is always fun, it's really windy no matter when you go because it's a rock in the middle of the bay. You take a ferry out there, which is nice to see the city from. If you can cross the Golden Gate (driving wise), go one exit past the bridge turn off and drive up to the Marin Headlands there are some turnouts on the road and the view is phenominal. You can see cruise ships pulling out of port and crossing under the Golden Gate (hopefully not your ship!) and that's always fun to watch.

Have a great trip, you'll definately enjoy your time. I don't know if you've heard, but the coldest winter in SF happens in the middle of the summer...take a jacket it gets cold when the fog rolls in.

Hubby & I drove across the Golden Gate Bridge, also drove to Alamo Square & had our pictures made in front of the 6 postcard row houses.

We also went to Fisherman's Wharf, pier 39. Yes it's touristy; but we were tourists! We loved it.

TravlinChick

PS It's not far on over to CA wine country from SanFrancisco either. It's lovely country.

San Franicisco is a beautiful city. I suggest that you do a few of the standard "tourist" things...

Alcatraz

Pier 39

Fisherman's Wharf

Cable Car

Exploratorium & Golden Gate Park

Sausalito

Muir Woods

There are plenty of things to do - but we need more information. Will you have a car? Where are you staying? Ages & interests of people in your party... Time of year you will be there.

Yes i am going to have a car...

I am staying in the sheraton fishermans wharf and i will be in SF the next october.

We are a couple of 26 years old.

Thanks for the advice...:cool:

For "where to eat", I'll give my generic advice:

San Francisco is one of the best restaurant towns in the world...There are so many good places to eat that it all really depends on what you want...

I usually wander aimlessly and let my nose lead me...Seriously...

Try "North Beach"...it's not really a beach at all...it's basically the area along Columbus between Chinatown and the Fishermans' Wharf area...It has some of the best restaurants you'll find anywhere, especially good Italian restaurants...

I'm not too big a fan of San Francisco's Chinatown...the restaurants there don't match up to what you can find down in SoCal in areas like Alhambra and Monterey Park...but they do exude history and a certain sleazy "you 've got to try this" factor...Many are good, if not great...For a tourist, well worth the experience...Along Grant Avenue and the streets adjacent...

Though I tend to shy away, a lot of tourists like to dine at Fishermans' Wharf...May be a little overpriced...but it's the location and atmosphere

...and there are other great places to eat all over the City...I'm sure others here can give you specific suggestions...There have been a few threads on it...

With four days, you have a lot of choices...Aside from the above, you may want to take a day and venture up to the wine country (Napa, Sonoma)...it's a fair ride out of the city, but there are many great winery tours and wine-tasting opportunities...

In the City, my usual preference is to just walk around the City itself...Chinatown, Fishermans' Wharf...Check out Lombard Street (the curvy part)...Prearrange that Alcatraz tour if you can...

Have fun...

Hi, thanks for the advice, can you name a restaurant that you totally recomend in the north beach?:rolleyes:

I think you've been given some great advice regarding things to see. It is a fairly large city, but the public transportation (Munni, BART,cabs) is pretty good. As far as places to eat, I think following your nose is the best advices. I don't like to eat in Chinatown, it's really dirty and I'd be very wary of eating there but my standard of dirty and yours might be completely different so if it's something you've wanted to do before check it out. There are some great walking tours of the city available, do a Google search online. Some of the areas I've heard of walking tours are Chinatown, North Beach, Russian Hill, Haight Ashbury, and I'm sure there are many others. There's a really neat walking area called Fort Funston right on the beach, but I'd caution you about our current...many people have been taken by the undertow so it's not to be messed with. Mel's Diner is a fun place, it's a 50's style diner and the food is pretty good, and there are a couple of locations scattered throughout the city. Hard Rock is right on Pier 39, as well as Bubba Gumps which are rather touristy although I've had the food at Hard Rock and it's not too bad. My DH lived in the city when we were dating so I spent weekends playing tourist. Nob Hill is fun, you can walk down it or drive down. I also like hanging out in Union Square and looking in all the fancy shops. I would also take a trip across the Bay Bridge or take BART to Berkeley and hang out for a day on University Ave or walk the campus. Alcatraz is always fun, it's really windy no matter when you go because it's a rock in the middle of the bay. You take a ferry out there, which is nice to see the city from. If you can cross the Golden Gate (driving wise), go one exit past the bridge turn off and drive up to the Marin Headlands there are some turnouts on the road and the view is phenominal. You can see cruise ships pulling out of port and crossing under the Golden Gate (hopefully not your ship!) and that's always fun to watch.

Have a great trip, you'll definately enjoy your time. I don't know if you've heard, but the coldest winter in SF happens in the middle of the summer...take a jacket it gets cold when the fog rolls in.

Fort Funston how you get there by car, how cold is in october?

Since you are going to have a car make sure you find out how much parking is per day. Parking is very expensive and $40 per day is not unheard of. When getting around the city itself - look at public transport or taxis. Restaurants often charge $15-$20 for valet parking and in many areas street parking is nonexistant except for 'sticker' holders.

Just keep in mind that there are pickpockets on the crowded bus, trolley and subway systems.

Crustacean is a great restaurant for asian style crab and garlic noodles. Slanted Door in the Ferry Building small and large plates asian fusion food (make reservations 3 or 4 months in advance.)

An inexpensive choice in North Beach is Michelangelo - lots of pasta. For more upscale Rose Pistola.

There are good neighborhood restaurants on Polk, Union and Chestnut. These streets also have a good collection of drinking joints for the young professional set that live in the areas.

San Francisco in October is the best time of the year in the City. I was born and raised and still live in the City and to really capture San Francisco you must walk. Bring a great pair of shoes and walk around the different neighborhoods. I realize you have a car, but I think it would be too stressful for you to drive and I would highly recommend you take public transportation ($1.50 up to 90 minutes but generally longer because the drivers rarely check) or walk. We have many interesting neighborhoods which tend to have the best restaurants in the City as well. For example you will be staying in the North Beach/Marina area which is close to Chinatown/Embarcadero/South Beach. The Mission/Dolores Park is a lively place. Golden Gate Park is in the Richmond/Inner Sunset while you are there the Golden Gate Bridge is near by. You might want to rent some bikes and ride over the bridge to Sausalito-Marin County. All of the so called major attractions in the City can be reached by walking and public transportation. Please bear in mind that San Francisco is only 7 square miles. For food recs. try out http://www.chowhound.com. Visit http://www.sfmta.com for public transportation info.

The Westfield Mall downtown in the old Emporium building is fun if you like shopping. The Nordstrom there has a Bistro that has killer views overlooking Powell St. If you're a foodie or just want to be, take the BART across the Bay to Berkeley and the Gormet (sp?) Ghetto. Just get off at Berkeley station and walk north on Shattuck Avenue for 4 or 5 blocks. (If you want to eat at Chez Pannise, make a reservation in advance.) I like Le Poulet for a quick chicken lunch.

Anne

OK

First of all - I can say "Frisco" because I grew up there & read Herb Caen regularly.

Car - really not necessary & your hotel probably does charge for parking. Might reconsider because taxis & public transportation will be far cheaper than renting a car & parking fees. (But good if you're going to the wine country for one day so you might rent it for that one day.) Buses are great-you can get 1 or 2 transfers per "ticket." And, if 4 of you, cheaper to take a taxi usually if it's a short trip.

Transportation from the airport used to be pretty inexpensive...shuttle should bring you down near Market St. where you can catch a cab to your hotel. Slight chance of a hotel shuttle at the airport, but most of those are just from the Peninsula locations - So. SF, San Mateo, Burlingame, San Carlos, etc.

I'd suggest a basic SF tour such as the Grayline Tour the first day to hit the highlights, then go back to what really interested you.

Alcatraz - used to go down to the "prison" boat weekly with my dad when he would take flower arrangements (parents owned a florist on Lombard St. in the 50's/early 60's) to the boat pier. Finally took a tour abut 3 years ago - I heartily suggest the sunset tour - only a few hundred on the island (compared to a few thousand during the day tours) & it's quite eerie being on the island (prison, and all) as dusk approaches. You leave the SF side in full daylight, sunset arrives towards the end of the tour & you leave the island in full darkness. Very cool trip.

Restaurants -- ok....Mel's diner on Lombard St. is fun for breakfast - also the Home Cafe is good - on Lombard St., bet. Scott and Filmore streets. Same side of the street as the Wells Fargo bank. Mel's Diner is on the other sidr of the street. Small restaurants on Chestnut street are pretty good - in the Marina district, one block closer to the bay than Lombard street. Don't know any names.

At the wharf - Scoma's - pricey but worth every penny. Sabella's is always good.

Caesar's - noisy but good food. (Located on Bay & Powell) My family knew the owners well & we ate their regularly when I lived there. Also attended wedding, anniversaries, banquets & funeral luncheons there. I'd suggest the dinner that comes with the pasta included - their roast beef used to be great....minestrone soup was to die for. But, haven't been there in years. (Bartender used to play "my" song when I walked in with my parents. Don't know how lunch is-only went for dinner & private parties.

Beef - Alfred's - not sure it's still there. Harris Beef (or Harris Restaurant) is excellent - i live about an hour away from Harris Ranch in the Central Valley (CA)which is always superb.

Clement St - has some very good restaurants that the locals frequent & are a very good value (sorry, the names escape me but there are many). Also, on Union St - but pricier.

Sites - Take a walk thru 3 Catholic churches in 3 different areas - St. Peter & Paul's in North Beach - beautiful church, while in the area, stop at a deli & order a sandwich of Italian cold cuts....also buy some fagase (focciaca) - ok, both are misspelled! (A lousy Italian I make, huh!)

...2nd church is the "new" St. Mary's Cathedral on Van Ness Ave. - very modern (I'd think rather boring), rebuilt when the "original" St. Mary's burnt down - Grayline probably stops here - at least they did when my cousins got married there - tourists packed the back of the church during the ceremony clicking away with their cameras (doors were supposed to be locked!)

....another "old" St. Mary's near china town - interesting old, red brick church.

...crooked Lombard St - if you do have a car, be sure to drive down this street - 13 turns in 1 block. We used to deliver a Christmas tree to one of the homewoners every holidAY season. Also, drive thru the Presidio - when yuo get to the "bottom" of Lombard St (motel row) keep driving for about 2 miles, enter the Presidio (former Army post) and drive around. Post chapel is very quaint - not sure if o[en of the public????parade grounds are great - used to watch the flag being brought down sometimes to TAPS, delivered flowers with Dad regularly to the military (& pet !) cemetary there)...golf course...former officer's club was the site of wedding receptions & my parent's 35 wedding anniversary party. That building is well over 100 years old. Awesome view from the second story, but I suspect only open for private parties....used to need an Army "host" to rent it.

...Ghiradelli Square - intersting shops, GREAT people watching...and, the chocolate, of course.

...The Cannery - same as above (minus the chocolate) & Pier 39 - all fun.

A cable car ride definitely - catch it on the "turnstile" - so, you get to help turn it around - Bay & Powell - I think, near Fisherman's Wharf, or downtown on Powell, ride it to the "top" near the Fairmont Hotel, Mark Hopkins, etc. & back down again.

Walk thru the Fairmont Hotel lobby - old, & very beautiful

Go up to the top of the Bank of America building - have a drink IF the guys are in a coat & tie, if not, they'll let you walk thru the bar to see the views. Eat there at the Carnielian Room - again, great food, better view & the site of many parties I've had the pleasure of attending over the years.

We were just in San Francisco about 3 weeks ago and completely fell in love with the Ferry Building Marketplace. It has everything a foodie could possibly want. For dinner, we ate at Kokkari Estiatorio (www.kokkari.com), a Mediterranean restaurant in the Financial District. The food was fantastic. I highly recommend the zucchini cakes as an appetizer and moussaka for the entree. Enjoy your stay.

OK

First of all - I can say "Frisco" because I grew up there & read Herb Caen regularly.

Car - really not necessary & your hotel probably does charge for parking. Might reconsider because taxis & public transportation will be far cheaper than renting a car & parking fees. (But good if you're going to the wine country for one day so you might rent it for that one day.) Buses are great-you can get 1 or 2 transfers per "ticket." And, if 4 of you, cheaper to take a taxi usually if it's a short trip.

Transportation from the airport used to be pretty inexpensive...shuttle should bring you down near Market St. where you can catch a cab to your hotel. Slight chance of a hotel shuttle at the airport, but most of those are just from the Peninsula locations - So. SF, San Mateo, Burlingame, San Carlos, etc.

I'd suggest a basic SF tour such as the Grayline Tour the first day to hit the highlights, then go back to what really interested you.

Alcatraz - used to go down to the "prison" boat weekly with my dad when he would take flower arrangements (parents owned a florist on Lombard St. in the 50's/early 60's) to the boat pier. Finally took a tour abut 3 years ago - I heartily suggest the sunset tour - only a few hundred on the island (compared to a few thousand during the day tours) & it's quite eerie being on the island (prison, and all) as dusk approaches. You leave the SF side in full daylight, sunset arrives towards the end of the tour & you leave the island in full darkness. Very cool trip.

Restaurants -- ok....Mel's diner on Lombard St. is fun for breakfast - also the Home Cafe is good - on Lombard St., bet. Scott and Filmore streets. Same side of the street as the Wells Fargo bank. Mel's Diner is on the other sidr of the street. Small restaurants on Chestnut street are pretty good - in the Marina district, one block closer to the bay than Lombard street. Don't know any names.

At the wharf - Scoma's - pricey but worth every penny. Sabella's is always good.

Caesar's - noisy but good food. (Located on Bay & Powell) My family knew the owners well & we ate their regularly when I lived there. Also attended wedding, anniversaries, banquets & funeral luncheons there. I'd suggest the dinner that comes with the pasta included - their roast beef used to be great....minestrone soup was to die for. But, haven't been there in years. (Bartender used to play "my" song when I walked in with my parents. Don't know how lunch is-only went for dinner & private parties.

Beef - Alfred's - not sure it's still there. Harris Beef (or Harris Restaurant) is excellent - i live about an hour away from Harris Ranch in the Central Valley (CA)which is always superb.

Clement St - has some very good restaurants that the locals frequent & are a very good value (sorry, the names escape me but there are many). Also, on Union St - but pricier.

Sites - Take a walk thru 3 Catholic churches in 3 different areas - St. Peter & Paul's in North Beach - beautiful church, while in the area, stop at a deli & order a sandwich of Italian cold cuts....also buy some fagase (focciaca) - ok, both are misspelled! (A lousy Italian I make, huh!)

...2nd church is the "new" St. Mary's Cathedral on Van Ness Ave. - very modern (I'd think rather boring), rebuilt when the "original" St. Mary's burnt down - Grayline probably stops here - at least they did when my cousins got married there - tourists packed the back of the church during the ceremony clicking away with their cameras (doors were supposed to be locked!)

....another "old" St. Mary's near china town - interesting old, red brick church.

...crooked Lombard St - if you do have a car, be sure to drive down this street - 13 turns in 1 block. We used to deliver a Christmas tree to one of the homewoners every holidAY season. Also, drive thru the Presidio - when yuo get to the "bottom" of Lombard St (motel row) keep driving for about 2 miles, enter the Presidio (former Army post) and drive around. Post chapel is very quaint - not sure if o[en of the public????parade grounds are great - used to watch the flag being brought down sometimes to TAPS, delivered flowers with Dad regularly to the military (& pet !) cemetary there)...golf course...former officer's club was the site of wedding receptions & my parent's 35 wedding anniversary party. That building is well over 100 years old. Awesome view from the second story, but I suspect only open for private parties....used to need an Army "host" to rent it.

...Ghiradelli Square - intersting shops, GREAT people watching...and, the chocolate, of course.

...The Cannery - same as above (minus the chocolate) & Pier 39 - all fun.

A cable car ride definitely - catch it on the "turnstile" - so, you get to help turn it around - Bay & Powell - I think, near Fisherman's Wharf, or downtown on Powell, ride it to the "top" near the Fairmont Hotel, Mark Hopkins, etc. & back down again.

Walk thru the Fairmont Hotel lobby - old, & very beautiful

Go up to the top of the Bank of America building - have a drink IF the guys are in a coat & tie, if not, they'll let you walk thru the bar to see the views. Eat there at the Carnielian Room - again, great food, better view & the site of many parties I've had the pleasure of attending over the years.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH EXCELENT REVIEW...

IT IS GOING TO BE VERY USEFULL.

THANKS.:) :D

Another local voice. We have friends arriving in the fall and we are all doing a commercial touring company that does winery tours in Napa (wine country). It utilizes the Vallejo Ferry and then meets you with a bus/van transports you to various wineries and then drives back to SF over the Golden Gate Bridge. A great trip at a modest cost.

My personal list of don't miss. Views- Lombard St., Coit Tower, Marin Highlands (above the Golden Gate). Places: Sausalito, Muir Woods, Berkeley, Carmel & Monterey (if time), Napa. Marina, Alcatraz, Golden Gate Park, Chinatown, St. Mary's Church, Grace Cathedral. Drinks at the top of the St. Francis Hotel or Embarcadero Hyatt.

Have a great trip.

Night time stuff. Look for the SF Weekly - free newspaper.

Don't know your music taste but we like The Saloon or Grant and Green in North Beach for bluesie rock.

One of the fun shows in SF is Beach Blanket Babylon - the show is in North Beach.

Napa will be closer than Sonoma and more interesting for a first timer. There are many wonderful wineries, and the CIA is in the old Christian Bros winery, its a wonderful place for a glass of wine and hors dourves. Some of the wineries have special attractions more than just wine. Sterling with the 'ride' to the top. Glass scupltures at Coppola.

Archived