St. Thomas Megan's Bay AND Shopping

starboss

In about 10 days (6/17) my 16 y/o daughter and myself will be in St. Thomas. I was there over 30 yrs ago. Not into snorkeling. My questions:

- we are going to Megan's Bay and I'm aware it will be crowded(what is the www to chk on other ships in port?) Best place to catch taxi that is not over-priced? Can I avoid a van that packs many passengers into it?

- Where to lunch on Megan's Bay or

- last question, area to shop and lunch? Nothing expensive- just a fun mother/daughter shopping area for odds and ends?

Thanks!

The taxi rates are set by VI government so all taxis pretty much charge same rate.

Depending on where you dock the fare shoild be $8-10 per person each way. Magens entry fee is now $5 per person, I think.

Plenty of places at the dock for lunch though the snack bar at Magens has decent food.

My favorite shopping destination in St Thomas is Palm Passage in town. The shops there sell items you probably won't find at home. Very artsy.

There's a bar and restaurant in Palm Passage, Cafe Amalia, I think. It should be online so you can check menu and prices.

We've been to St. Thomas several times now by ship and have followed the same itinerary each time in port... cab to Megan's Bay early in the day and relax on the beach. A tip for Megan's Bay, don't drop your stuff right where the cabs drop you off. Facing the water, turn left and walk down the beach. Go past the rentals and the snack bar and keep walking just a little bit and you'll have the beach basically to yourself. We were there a few weeks ago on a crowded day and still had our own stretch of beach just by walking a little.

When we were done at Megan's Bay we took a cab into town for lunch (the food at Megan's Bay isn't very good for the price). We like to eat at Cuzzin's on Back Street which is one street behind the main shopping on Main Street - every cab will know where it is. Cuzzins is good authentic Caribbean cooking - I recommend the ribs and chicken platter with fried plantains. We also always get the conch fritter appetizer too - best fritters I've ever had and I now order conch fritters anywhere I see them on the menu hoping they are half as good. From Cuzzins the shopping is an easy 1-2 block walk and when you are done there, it's a $4 cab ride back to the ship.

Have fun! St. Thomas is one of our favorite stops.