Flight out of FLL question--please help!

Mr.Thy

We are cruising on the Carribbean Princess Jan. 21-28, 2007. We are flying in the day before we head to the Carribbean (the 20th), but we booked a flight that leaves FLL at 10:15 A.M the day the ship gets back (Sunday the 28th). I talked to Princess and they recommend not booking flights that leave FLL before 10:30 A.M. and Miami before 12:30 P.M. We figured that 15 minutes before the time they recommended wouldn't be a big deal, but I just read a review in which no one disembarked the ship before 9 A.M.

If you have any recommendations for us please advise!!! Thank you in advance, I do appreciate it.

Regards,

Mr.Thy

We are cruising on the Carribbean Princess Jan. 21-28, 2007. We are flying in the day before we head to the Carribbean (the 20th), but we booked a flight that leaves FLL at 10:15 A.M the day the ship gets back (Sunday the 28th). I talked to Princess and they recommend not booking flights that leave FLL before 10:30 A.M. and Miami before 12:30 P.M. We figured that 15 minutes before the time they recommended wouldn't be a big deal, but I just read a review in which no one disembarked the ship before 9 A.M.

If you have any recommendations for us please advise!!! Thank you in advance, I do appreciate it.

Regards,

Mr.Thy

Mr. Thy:

My Mom and I flew out of FLL back in March. IMHO, you would be wise to book a later flight. While we were on the Seabourn Legend (208 passengers), there were 5 mega ships (2,600+ passengers each) arriving that morning as well. The lines were absolutely horrific and baggage check-in a total nightmare. We both vowed to never fly out of FLL again! HTH.

Lisa :)

Mr. Thy

We also had and early flight out of Fll at 10:30am. from the CB but it was Pres. week (school vacation week) so I need to mention the amount of people on all the ships., CRAZY , I was a reck wondering if we would make the flight. We didn't get off the ship untill 9:05am. Ran off the ship found a porter, grabed a cab, Don't forget, all the luggage is lined up so you have to look for yours. We made the flight but the lines at the airport are crazy, for the ships who let the pax off alot earlier. I will never ever be that stressed again, I was a nervous Nelly all week thinking of it. Husband and kids had a great time because I would reassure them, it would be fine.. Not! This Feb, flights at 5pm. I am totally chillin..

I would also see if you qualify as an Elite level flyer for whichever airline you are flying. This typically allows you to check in via the first class line and then use the express lane at security.

In addition to earning this the hard way (i.e. flying lots & lots on one airlines), you typically also qualify for this if flying first/business class.

Thanks for the input so far everyone.

Cuyahoga11, did you do early disembarkation? I checked on www.cruisecal.com and there are 8 ships coming in the morning i do :(.....not good!

I talked to Princess again, and they recommend flights out of FLL at 10:30 or later, I guess I'm suprised they recommend flights that early. Anyways, our flight leaves FLL at 10:10am, and I called CheapTickets yesterday to try and change our tickets...they charge $150/ticket to have them changed or canceled, what a joke! I talked to American Airlines, and I was told if we miss our flight that they will get us on a flight later at no additional charge, but we'd have to fly stand-by and keep our fingers crossed . I guess we have no option other than trying to be the first off the ship and getting to FLL as fast as we can. After making this post I read many other threads regarding the same issue, so I apologize for not doing that first.

Thanks again for the help! Regards,

MT

Mr. Thy we have been in this situation with 5 pax and a ton of baggage. Got to the airport at 9:20 thanks to the porters at the dock hustling us out to the curb and hailing a taxi. Then another porter at the airport took our bags, placed them in line for check in, found a place for us to sit together and told us not to move because @ 10am all the buses for early flights would come in..and after that everyone with early flights getting to the airport on their own. What a frigin mad house! Well our porter watched our place in line, called us up to check in and all was well; of course we do tip over the $2. per bag (usually $10. for 2 pax $20. for 4-5 pax) and explain our situation to the porter upon his approach. In all of our travels we have never had a porter or sky cap who was not "Top Notch".

One option you might want to consider is walking off the ship with your own luggage. You must be able to handle you luggage yourself with no assistance. You arrange with the Purser's desk to do this, much like you arrange early off for early flights.

Instead of putting your luggage out the night before you keep it. Then in the morning when the ship is cleared you simply gather your luggage and walk off the ship and to your transportation. No waiting for you color to be called and no searching for your luggage in the terminal.

We flew out on Nov 26 the worst day to fly. Our flight was at 12:30 I thought with it being a bad flight day this would be too earlier We where the 3rd group to get off the ship One of our bags went missing Took a while to find it After looking all over they brought more out from the back. Grabbed a cab and we where on our way No lines out side Southwest so we got helped right away Sercuity was fast a small line but not as bad as I thought My daughter had to have her bag checked over. We got water and snacks at the book store Our longest line was for coffee at Dunkin Donuts. We where at the gate by 10:30

I suggest you tell them you want to be first off the boat. And I would take my bags with me and not put them out the night before I also would pack everything you can and only take very little carryon.

Thank you all for your information. I didn't realize that if you handled your own luggage (didn't put it out the night before) that you could just walk off the ship without having a color and waiting for it to be called. Do we need to arrange this with the Purser's desk? Also, where will the porters be when we get off the ship? And at the airport? We are pretty new to this, as you can tell. This will be my second cruise and my girlfriend's first.

Again, thank you all for the help. This website is priceless!

Mr.Thy

10:30am flight is too early. Pick something after 11:30am to be safe.

When we were on Enchantment last Jan, there were only 2 ships in port, we got off the ship at 10:00am and were in the 3rd group off the ship. I'm sure others didn't get off until 11am or so. By the time we went through customs, found our luggage, etc. and got to the airport, it was 10:30am. Then I got pulled out for a random screening which took the TSA forever. Ended up at the gate at around 11:00am. Luckily the flight was at 11:20am. We barely made it! They had just started calling the last couple rows to board when we got there.

Archived