decent hotel/motel on treasure island?

musicmansmom

Yes.. try the Sea Chest on Treasure Island. We always stay there, very busy but you might get lucky.

Speak to Marie at 888 525 0043.

If you can't get in there, try the Alden on St. Pete Beach (very nice) or the Plaza Beach ( a little cheaper)

we've stayed at all 3.

Dean

It's a bit north of Treasure Island but the North Redington Beach Hilton is wonderful. To me, one of the best on the "strip" - it's not cheap though. We've walked the beaches for miles in that area and there are lots of places that may not be so great. This hotel I would recommend to any traveler. You do need a car since there isn't a whole lot within walking distance. John's Pass is close by and even closer to Treasure Island. We've been there several times and love it! Enjoy!

• 4 weeks later...

We have always stayed at The Bucaneer Resort directly on Gulf Blvd. My grandparents wintered there every year with Grandpa's war buddies for over 20 yrs. We would join them each year during the holidays. My grandparents have been gone for a number of years now and mom and I had not been to The Bucaneer for 19 yrs. Last year we returned and had a great stroll down memory lane. There are still 2 of my grand parents friends that return each winter.

Not a fancy place, but a good middle of the road place. You won't find too many fancy places in Treasure Island so I think this is a good choice.

thanks everyone for the great replies and info. for some reason i am not receiving any replies through my email ''' again ''. this is a problem i have on this site. most of the time it works and then nothing for awhile. i will check into the places that have been suggested.

and cpayne, im so glad you have such wonderful memories at the buccaneer. that is wonderful. what a great get-together that must be for all of you.

CPayne...I'm sorry to tell you....

Alas.. the Bucaneer is about to be "no more" and may already be dust. We first stayed there when it was opend by Stu and Lou Butterfield .. must have been about 1950 or thereabouts.. back when it was just two units and I was just a little guy. Anyway, it like a number of other TI 50's motels has been purchased and will (or has been) torn down and replaced with a condo. My mother-in-law was just by that area 4 weeks ago and said it looked to her like demolition may have started, but I'd call them to be sure -- may have a very short time still open. It is sad since a number of the motels were done in the "googlie" sylye archictecture and influenced by the Sarasota School of Architecture and now they are all going under to condo's.

Sea Weed:

You brought tears to my eyes with your news of The Bucaneer. Mom and I had been talking about a reunion visit for years and it kept getting put off. So glad we did this when we did. The building may be gone, but the memories last forever!!!

Archived