Montego Bay Pier - Martha Brae rafts and Doctors Cave with Margaritaville

Ready2Cruise2016

Hi everyone!!

We will be sailing with Carnival (either the Dream or Freedom) in September, and our first port is Montego Bay. There will be 4 adults - all women- aged 22 to 67. My mom isn't in the best of health, so we can't really do anything too strenuous, such as ziplining, etc. Plus, a couple in our party are strapped financially, so I have to keep the prices as reasonable as possible.

I'm wondering if anyone has experience with the Martha Brae bamboo rafts? I've looked on their website, but can't find a price. Is it worth it, or does it become a bit boring? How long does it typically last? I know on their website they say it's a 3 mile rafting, but I don't know how quickly you move.

Afterwards, assuming there is still time, we would stop and Doctor's Cave beach for a while, then walk to Margarittaville.. where eventually we'd get a cab back to the boat.

Does that sound like a feasible day? None of us have ever been to Jamaica before, and we're looking forward to it. However, there are so many mixed reviews!

• 2 weeks later...

Can't comment on the raft trip, but we went to Doctors Cave Beach and then walked back to Margaritaville. We shopped along the way and it was an easy walk. Hopped on the bus there back to the ship. Loved the beach, but Margaritaville was just way too overpriced and crowded.

• 2 weeks later...

Martha Brae rafting is nice, but very slow and relaxing. A lot of the entertainment of it can come to whether or not you have a good raft captain. Those that sing and tell stories make the trip a lot of fun. Others don't say much and you just glide along. I think a group of women would have a nice time going together.

You might want to go with a ship sponsored excursion that includes a stop at the beach. Not sure how you were planning on getting to the river, otherwise hire a guide/driver for the day to help you out with transportation all the way through your day.

Martha Brae rafting is nice, but very slow and relaxing. A lot of the entertainment of it can come to whether or not you have a good raft captain. Those that sing and tell stories make the trip a lot of fun. Others don't say much and you just glide along. I think a group of women would have a nice time going together.

You might want to go with a ship sponsored excursion that includes a stop at the beach. Not sure how you were planning on getting to the river, otherwise hire a guide/driver for the day to help you out with transportation all the way through your day.

Thank you!! I think we've decided to just do Doctor's Cave and perhaps Margaritaville. Although I still think rafting would be wonderful, there's a couple in my group that doesn't want to get too far from the ship. :)