Best Filter for GoPro Camera

rhysespeices

Hello,

Im going a cruise in about a month and am curious about which underwater filters to get for a gopro 3 black edition. I will only be doing snuba(under 20 ft) and snorkeling so I dont think a true Red filter will be the best option. Any suggestions for brands/models/and material?

Thanks!

The red filter is recommended for 10-80 feet. Above 10 feet you shouldn't need color correction in clear blue water.

The magenta filter is for green water which you really wouldn't find in the tropics.

If you are 20 feet or less on a sunny day, why would you really need a filter?

I really am just asking out of curiosity. DH just got a red filter for his gopro, but we haven't had a chance to play with it yet. It came the day AFTER we left for cozumel in the spring :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
Hello,

Im going a cruise in about a month and am curious about which underwater filters to get for a gopro 3 black edition. I will only be doing snuba(under 20 ft) and snorkeling so I dont think a true Red filter will be the best option. Any suggestions for brands/models/and material?

Thanks!

I am curious as to how your gopro worked under water? Did you end up getting a filter lens?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I did not like the results with my Polar Pro red snap on filter. I found out at the depths I go, it is not needed. I am looking forward to my June 2015 trip to snorkel and snuba several places with my GoPro2 and GoPro HD without filters.

I just bought the Olympus Tough TG-2 iHS camera to get some good point and shoot underwater shots. The GoPro controls can be funky underwater. The digital camera should work well and likely the battery will outperform GoPro batteries.

Not so much for the OP who is only doing shallow SNUBA, but for the rest of you: red filters are the GoTo standard as the "if you only have one filter, here's the one"

(from one of my favorite underwater photography sites, DivePhotoGuide, and all the divers here "should" know this as it was in your OW training)

Water is approximately 800 times denser than air, and this density absorbs light - quickly. Not only does this result in dull, monotone colors, but it also decreases contrast and image sharpness. New underwater photographers often get frustrated from the blue / gray hue of their images - a direct result of the properties of water and the affect of light absorption. This is actually a very common problem and there are several approaches to reintroducing color and clarity to your images.

Specific frequencies of ambient light get absorbed at different depths, from the longest wavelength to shortest (basically the colors of the rainbow, remember ROYGBIV?). Red nearly disappears at around 5 meters, followed by orange at 10 meters, yellow at 20 meters, green at 30 meters and eventually even blue at 60 meters.