Bar Harbor rent or not rent a car

widehunters3

I am looking for help with making a decision while at the port of Bar Harbor. Yes, I want to see the view from Cadillac Mountain! We want to do a hike! I want to see the views from the Loop Road. We would love to purchase a Popover as soon as they open to avoid a long wait.

I understand that there is no rental company located at the port. I am thinking I can prearrange a taxi pickup and also do a taxi pickup for the return of the car. IS THIS CRAZY THINKING?????

I want to spend the large percentage of our Bar Harbor Port time at Acadia Park. From my research tours of the park are mostly riding and only a couple of hours. We love to hike so we would like to somehow make that happen. The Island Explorer bus sounds great but it will not take us up Cadillac Mountain:(

Please help us utilize our time wisely.

The closest car rental is the Bar Harbor airport, which really isn't in Bar Harbor. You would be spending more on a taxi than you would on the car rental. Depending on when you are going, you might try the Island Explorer to get you into the park, but you would need to hike up Cadillac Mountain.

last year we took a regular ship sponsored excursion to Cadillac Mountain. After completion, we walked a bit around Bar Harbor and then walked over to Bar Island. It is an excellent hike with great views of the port area. Also did an excursion on the schooner.

• 1 month later...
I am looking for help with making a decision while at the port of Bar Harbor. Yes, I want to see the view from Cadillac Mountain! We want to do a hike! I want to see the views from the Loop Road. We would love to purchase a Popover as soon as they open to avoid a long wait.

I understand that there is no rental company located at the port. I am thinking I can prearrange a taxi pickup and also do a taxi pickup for the return of the car. IS THIS CRAZY THINKING?????

I want to spend the large percentage of our Bar Harbor Port time at Acadia Park. From my research tours of the park are mostly riding and only a couple of hours. We love to hike so we would like to somehow make that happen. The Island Explorer bus sounds great but it will not take us up Cadillac Mountain:(

Please help us utilize our time wisely.

There are 2 tours you can pick up right in Bar Harbor to go to the top of Cadillac Mtn, Acadia National Park Tours and Ollie's Trollys. Both are on the average of 2 1/2 to 3 hours long. Cost is $30. per person. If you take the morning tour you will have the afternoon to walk around the little center of Bar Harbor and not have to worry about taxies and car rentals.

Enterprise Car Rental at Bar Harbor airport will pick you up at the

pier, bring you to their facility to check in and then will bring you

back to the pier when you return the car. We are renting a car

in Bar Harbor on our upcoming cruise. I called ahead to reserve

the car and the folks there were very helpful.

Enterprise Car Rental at Bar Harbor airport will pick you up at the

pier, bring you to their facility to check in and then will bring you

back to the pier when you return the car. We are renting a car

in Bar Harbor on our upcoming cruise. I called ahead to reserve

the car and the folks there were very helpful.

Please keep in mind that the airport is 30 minutes away from the pier.