Shopping in Ocho Rios???

LydiaHorn1209

My mom and I are stopping in Ocho Rios! We have both been before but hers was on her honeymoon in 1986 and mine when I was 11, which was 18 years ago! So I`m sure alot has changed through the years. My question is to ya`ll is whats the best shopping and straw markets around? :):):):)

• 5 months later...
My mom and I are stopping in Ocho Rios! We have both been before but hers was on her honeymoon in 1986 and mine when I was 11, which was 18 years ago! So I`m sure alot has changed through the years. My question is to ya`ll is whats the best shopping and straw markets around? :):):):)

Ditto on the above... haven't been in quite a few years. Prefer local shopping and less of jewelry stores, and wondering how the Ocho Rios craft market is doing?

What else in town is cool, besides the Island Village at the port?

Edited by yuccaman

Sadly, my Ocho Rios experience is 10 years old, but...

After briefly touring the "sterilized for your protection petting zoo"called Island Village (although one thing I enjoyed there was watching a young lady hand-rolling cigars), DW and I taxied into town, went through the Craft Market, haggled in good humor with some of the merchants, bought a few items of local manufacture, then went across the street to some of the local shops. Stopped in the local supermarket to see how the real people live an eat. There, we bought 2 pounds of Jamaican Blue Mtn coffee for about a third of what the guys on the street corners were hawking it for to unwary non-locals. Two regrets:

1. I missed the Ocho Rios Jerk Centre, which was a couple of blocks south of our area of exploration.

2. I had the misfortune of witnessing a horrorshow of culinary abomination-- Jamaica, ground zero for jerked foods, meat patties, and other lovely local taste experiences, had a KFC restaurant smack in the downtown area!:eek:

Go see and interact with the folk who live there. Eat the home-cookin' that's available. Haggle for fun. Come back to Jamaica, even if it's your first time!:cool:

Edited by capncarp

2. I had the misfortune of witnessing a horrorshow of culinary abomination-- Jamaica, ground zero for jerked foods, meat patties, and other lovely local taste experiences, had a KFC restaurant smack in the downtown area!

Hahahaha, yes- sadly, that KFC has been there almost as long as I can remember. I guess those who are around those delicacies, full-time, see it as a change of pace?