Who Has Taken The Kids To Boston & Bermuda?

Jennnfusion

In Boston there is a children's museum not far from where the ship docks.

http://www.bostonchildrensmuseum.org/

In Bermuda we went to the Aquarium/ Zoo and I loved it there.

http://www.bamz.org/

Don't bother with the Crystal Caves. I was underwhelmed and it's not going to be interesting to a 2.5 year old.

Edited by rebeccalouiseagain

We took the Dawn from Boston to Bermuda last year with our 1 year old daughter. We didn't end up doing anything in Boston but did see the children's museum and a nice looking zoo in our research. In Bermuda we went to BAMZ (the zoo/aquarium). Perfect size for littles... A really nice trip. We walked from the port in the Dockyard to Snorkel Park... There's a small playground and splash pad outside that was great! We also walked to the Dockyard museum and stopped in to see the dolphins (the dolphin experience building is inside the museum grounds. Have fun!

Just back from Bermuda with a 2.25 year old. We skipped the aquarium/zoo (which we have been to previously and liked) because we didn't think he would do well for the trip there. We took the ferry to Hamilton and walked around town, went to a park, got passports stamped, etc. We also spent time in the dockyard area doing the playground that is right outside snorkel park beach (would have gone there too but he doesn't like beaches yet) and walked through the museum grounds to see the commissioner's house, Dolphins, playground, and small air conditioned play room. Weather was bad our other day so we stayed on the ship. If I had a beach loving kid I would have gone to snorkel park beach one day and horseshoe bay beach another day. It has a calm water area that is great for little kids and has chair rentals, concession stand, restrooms, etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Here are some good toddler ideas for Boston:

-The Children's Museum is excellent!

-The New England Aquarium is also great

-Walk around the port area. It's been redeveloped, and there are some great restaurants. Be careful to make sure little ones are in strollers! There are some areas that have docks. They are usually fenced, and I can't say for sure if there are some that aren't, but when my son was little, I was always really careful around water where there might not be toddler-proof fencing.

-Walk around Faneuil Hall Marketplace. Again, take the stroller, because it may be crowded.

-There is a carousel and I believe a sprinkler park in the Rose Kennedy Greenway. That's near Faneuil Hall.

I live in Boston and have a 3 year old. As others have said, both the Children's Museum and Aquarium are great options for young kids and both are walking distance from the pier.

Be aware that the pier area itself is "industrial" for lack of a better word and not particularly pretty. But once you get a few blocks away and into the Seaport neighborhood, the walk will be very pleasant. There's a harbor-walk that will allow you to walk along the harbor for much of the way. Because of lots of construction in the area, you will have to detour away from the water at several points. The Children's Museum is in South Boston right on the harbor-walk. (The prior poster mentioned fencing around the harbor. Be aware that there are large portions of the harbor-walk that do not have any fencing. I actually once saw a rescue of a person who drove their scooter right over the side. That said, I have never felt that it was unsafe for my son to be on the harbor-walk with proper supervision). For the Aquarium, you need to cross the harbor into the main part of Boston, but it's also very walkable.

My son also enjoys Boston Common and Boston Public Garden. Depending on when you are coming, the Swan Boats may be operating. https://swanboats.com/ There's also the Frog Pond in the Common, which has a splash park and carousel. http://bostonfrogpond.com/ If you go to the Common/Public Garden, you will be right near the historic Beacon Hill neighborhood, which is really beautiful to walk around.

If you prefer to take public transit (which my son loves), the pier is very close to the Silver Line. You would take it to Courthouse for the Children's Museum. There's no great way to take the T from the pier to the Aquarium. You would need to take 3 lines. A cab would probably be easier. For the Common/Garden, take the silver line to South Station, then take the red line to Park Street.

Edited by bcakes

Seriously- don't bother with the Crystal Caves. It is not going to impress you or the little ones. When you enter the caves with a guide- you are relegated to a three foot wide pathway with railings on each side. Once you go all the way into the caves everyone turns around and walks single file back out of the cave- since you are on this narrow walkway- the kids will either be in your arms or walking single file back and forth. Totally boring IMO. I've been to caverns like Luray Caverns and the Crystal Caves aren't worth the visit.

Where did you go to get your passports stamped?

There is a pink customs building in Hamilton that does it. When you get off the ferry, turn right and walk down the Main Street by the water. It is just a few minutes walk down on the right.

If I remember correctly it is just past the Hamilton dock area which is also a pink building.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by gymbomb