Need suggestions on which beach in Cabo.

Corntea

We went to Chileno Beach and it was wonderful. We hired a private driver. He picked us up at the port, drove us to the beach, brought us water, beer, and sodas, and sat and waited for us until we were ready. Once we were ready, we still had some time so he took us to the glass factory, and then to his favorite place on Medano for a late lunch. I can give you his name if interested. He spoke perfect english and was such a gentleman.

But about the beach. Soooo beautiful. Bathrooms & showers. Palapas. Clear water. Lots of beautiful fish to snorkle with (this is one of the places that the snorkle trips go to by boat). There is no where to get food, but we brought snacks to get us through until lunch. If I can figure out how to upload a picture I will. This beach is so nice that it is comparable to some of the beaches on Maui:)

mbmbird - I was enjoying your pictures and wondered if you could pass on the name of the driver you said you hired for getting to and from Chileno Beach? Thank you.

Hi skiUT! We used mbmbirds taxi driver last week in Cabo and he was great. Just posted on the Mexican Riviera post about our trip. I would also recommend him! If you use him tell him Mary and Robert and the girls from San Diego say hi!

I'm sooo happy to hear that you had a great experience with Alex. Where did you go?

• 2 months later...
Here you go:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g152515-d1098515-Reviews-Rissalena_Cruises-Cabo_San_Lucas_Los_Cabos_Baja_California.html

This is more of a locals thing, they don't get a lot of cruise passengers because it is word of mouth, they don't even have a web site. You can email them for a reservation:

rissacat@prodigy.net.mx

They are a family run operation, speak perfect English, and can't do enough for you. They limit the crowd to 24. The cost is $55/person including an open bar, a full lunch, and a 3 hour tour.

We go out with them everytime we are in Cabo.

Thanks for the info. Is it better to book before you get there?

Any suggestions for airport transfers.

It's best to email the Rissalena ahead of time to arrange your date because they only take 24 passengers max.

There are lots of companies that do inexpensive airport transfers and have references. I would suggest doing a goggle search for one that suits your needs.

bigeasy, there are quite a few outfits that offer private transport to and from the airport.

We fly down to Cabo twice a year and we always use Cielito Lindo for not only our transport to and from the airport, but also for any excursions that we might do. In fact we are booked with them on 03/14 for an airport pickup and on 03/15 for a day trip to the Farmer's Market in San Jose.

They are a first class family run outfit with new suvs. Friendly, and will have an icechest full of "beverages" waiting for you.

As I said, there are lots of outfits, and I am certain that most do a great job, but we have found that we can alway depend upon Cielito Lindo.

We went to Chileno Beach and it was wonderful. We hired a private driver. He picked us up at the port, drove us to the beach, brought us water, beer, and sodas, and sat and waited for us until we were ready. Once we were ready, we still had some time so he took us to the glass factory, and then to his favorite place on Medano for a late lunch. I can give you his name if interested. He spoke perfect english and was such a gentleman.

But about the beach. Soooo beautiful. Bathrooms & showers. Palapas. Clear water. Lots of beautiful fish to snorkle with (this is one of the places that the snorkle trips go to by boat). There is no where to get food, but we brought snacks to get us through until lunch. If I can figure out how to upload a picture I will. This beach is so nice that it is comparable to some of the beaches on Maui:)

I am interested in going to Chileno Beach and hiring a private driver as well. How much did it cost?

• 4 weeks later...
Pelican Beach is good, but there are no facilities there (Cantinas, restaurants, or bathrooms.)

If it were me, I would either grab a water taxi to Medano (Tabascos is our favorite, as we've never been "exposed" :D to wet t-shirt contests, and it seems a "bit" tamer than several of the other Cantinas.)

Very good (and inexpensive) food, cold beer, all of the Margaritas that you can consume, and bathrooms at Tabascos!

As stated above, you can take a water taxi there for $2-3US per person, or a land taxi for about $12 for up to 6.

If you take a water taxi (and we love the water taxis!), expect to disembark in ankle-knee deep water. The same goes for the return trip.

One of the benefits of a land taxi is that you will get to see some of Cabo that you might otherwise miss.

My best bet? Grab a land taxi at the Marina, enjoy the beach and the Cantinas, watch the other folks boarding the water taxis, and then decide how to get back to the Marina.

Don't overlook the Marina area, though. We spend 10 days twice a year in Cabo, and we spend a lot of our time wandering the Marina. Lots of really great Cantinas and restaurants. A great "people watching" place.

Just my $0.02Pesos worth.

Thanks for the info you posted. I am going to Cabo in 5 weeks and I wanted to explore another beach besides Pelican, which we already visited last year. Can you clarify please: water taxi is $2-$3 pp and land taxi is $12 for up to 6- is that total or is it $12 pp?

Also, we didn't do all that much walking around town other than down the shoreline in town. Is that not downtown or is there more we could have walked to easily? I like a walking tour as long as it's not too far (ie 3 miles or more)

Thanks for the info you posted. I am going to Cabo in 5 weeks and I wanted to explore another beach besides Pelican, which we already visited last year. Can you clarify please: water taxi is $2-$3 pp and land taxi is $12 for up to 6- is that total or is it $12 pp?

Also, we didn't do all that much walking around town other than down the shoreline in town. Is that not downtown or is there more we could have walked to easily? I like a walking tour as long as it's not too far (ie 3 miles or more)

The water taxi to Medano is $2-$3 per person (negotiate). A land taxi (and they are usually vans) will charge you $12 total for usually 4 persons, sometimes they will allow 6 for that price, if not, they will add $2US per person. That is each way. Before ever stepping into a land cab, ask the rate. You can attempt to bargain, but in Cabo, that is not often successful. If you have never done the water taxi view of Land's End, and the beaches, I strongly suggest that you do. The water taxi will have food (normally tortillas) for you to feed the fish. The fish will normally swim right up into your hand to feed. Ask that the water taxi drop you off at Medano Beach (same price as taking you back to the Marina.)

As for wandering down town, by all means do that! Cabo is a wonderful, clean, and safe place to be! We have never felt even the slightest bit uncomfortable there (we take our kids and grandkids with us once a year), and it is difficult to get lost. If you are walking uphill, you are headed away from the docks. Downhill will get you back to the Marina!

Downtown Cabo (old town) starts 2 blocks from the Marina. A very easy walk, and there are all sorts of wonderful Cantinas and restaurants, and stores nearly every step of the way. If you see a Cantina or restaurant that you like the looks of, stop in. You will be treated very well, be served cold beverages, and really good (and inexpensive) food.

Head up Hildalgo street (that is "restaurant" row) and after only about 5 blocks you will come upon the city park and museum. They have a whale skeleton out front.

Thank you so much! I did not realize until a few days ago that tipping was not necessary. (And of course none of the drivers mentioned that!)

I love the idea of taking a water taxi- I heard you can also take one for whale spotting. I'm going to try that because it was quite inexpensive and we've already done the fancy catamaran last year. It was awesome but a water taxi sounds fun as well.

• 6 months later...

How do we hire a private driver for the day, and how much should we expect to pay? We're wanting to do some beach time, and then eat & shopping.

• 4 months later...
The water taxi to Medano is $2-$3 per person (negotiate). A land taxi (and they are usually vans) will charge you $12 total for usually 4 persons, sometimes they will allow 6 for that price, if not, they will add $2US per person. That is each way. Before ever stepping into a land cab, ask the rate. You can attempt to bargain, but in Cabo, that is not often successful. If you have never done the water taxi view of Land's End, and the beaches, I strongly suggest that you do. The water taxi will have food (normally tortillas) for you to feed the fish. The fish will normally swim right up into your hand to feed. Ask that the water taxi drop you off at Medano Beach (same price as taking you back to the Marina.)

As for wandering down town, by all means do that! Cabo is a wonderful, clean, and safe place to be! We have never felt even the slightest bit uncomfortable there (we take our kids and grandkids with us once a year), and it is difficult to get lost. If you are walking uphill, you are headed away from the docks. Downhill will get you back to the Marina!

Downtown Cabo (old town) starts 2 blocks from the Marina. A very easy walk, and there are all sorts of wonderful Cantinas and restaurants, and stores nearly every step of the way. If you see a Cantina or restaurant that you like the looks of, stop in. You will be treated very well, be served cold beverages, and really good (and inexpensive) food.

Head up Hildalgo street (that is "restaurant" row) and after only about 5 blocks you will come upon the city park and museum. They have a whale skeleton out front.

My sister is also from Oregon & going on her 1st cruise (Princess) with a stop in Cabo. I am researching places for her.. Is it easy to get a water taxi & get to Medano Beach? It looks like a very nice beach..Is there anyone that gives massages there by chance??

• 1 month later...
I have seen several references to using a water taxi to Medano. But how do you return from there? Will the water taxi pick you up at an assigned time? Linda

You can get back to the tender pier by either water or land taxi. You can arrange with the taxi that takes you there to come pick you up again, but if he has another job, you may not see him. Don't worry, there are plenty of them and if you do a water activity, jet ski, kayak etc, those vendors will help you get a taxi.

My sister is also from Oregon & going on her 1st cruise (Princess) with a stop in Cabo. I am researching places for her.. Is it easy to get a water taxi & get to Medano Beach? It looks like a very nice beach..Is there anyone that gives massages there by chance??

There will be tons of vendors as soon as she gets off the tender to choose from, and yes, there are places on the beach to get massages. One that I am familiar with is between two restaurants, The Sand Bar and Mojitos, (formerly Medano Beach Club). These two restaurants are also some of the more mello ones on the beach.

There are quite a few places on Medano Beach to get a massage, but our favorite place (and the favorite of quite a few people we know) is Lola's, right behind Soloman's Landing, which is right on the Marina, itself, and is a very easy walk from the cruise docks.

Medano is a great beach, and a lot of fun for great food, and inexpensive drinks, but I would suggest that you not overlook the Marina, itself. The prices might be a bit more, but the view of the harbor is hard to beat.

...but to answer your question, yes, you can easily find a water taxi near the cruise docks to take you to Medano Beach, but I always recommend that folks pay a bit more and have a water taxi take you out by Lover's Beach, the Arch, the sea lions, and Divorce Beach, then drop you off at Medano Beach. While on the taxi, you will be given something to feed the fishes (which will climb right up into your hand to be fed). $12-14US pp for that. IMHO, the best $12 you can spend in Cabo.

There are quite a few places on Medano Beach to get a massage, but our favorite place (and the favorite of quite a few people we know) is Lola's, right behind Soloman's Landing, which is right on the Marina, itself, and is a very easy walk from the cruise docks.

Medano is a great beach, and a lot of fun for great food, and inexpensive drinks, but I would suggest that you not overlook the Marina, itself. The prices might be a bit more, but the view of the harbor is hard to beat.

...but to answer your question, yes, you can easily find a water taxi near the cruise docks to take you to Medano Beach, but I always recommend that folks pay a bit more and have a water taxi take you out by Lover's Beach, the Arch, the sea lions, and Divorce Beach, then drop you off at Medano Beach. While on the taxi, you will be given something to feed the fishes (which will climb right up into your hand to be fed). $12-14US pp for that. IMHO, the best $12 you can spend in Cabo.

Sounds like a great plan, thanks! About how long does that take, from departure to dropping you off at Medano? And how do you know which water taxis to approach for that longer ride - especially if its just the two of us?

Sounds like a great plan, thanks! About how long does that take, from departure to dropping you off at Medano? And how do you know which water taxis to approach for that longer ride - especially if its just the two of us?

The trip will take about an hour. If it is just two of you and you want the ride without other people, you may have to pay a little more than the ten or twelve dollars per person.

Any of the guys on the shore will deal with you. Some of the water taxis have a step in the front in case you are adverse to getting wet when you get off at Medano. You can ask for one of those.

The trip will take about an hour. If it is just two of you and you want the ride without other people, you may have to pay a little more than the ten or twelve dollars per person.

Any of the guys on the shore will deal with you. Some of the water taxis have a step in the front in case you are adverse to getting wet when you get off at Medano. You can ask for one of those.

Thanks! Who knows, the trip may be with new friends by then. :) As for getting off at Medano, as per the username, if we get a little wet its fine! :cool:

• 3 months later...

I did the water taxi once and I did have difficulty getting off of it. I needed a lot of help. I also would not be able to get into one from the water. I would like to go to Medano or Chileno Beach next year when we are there, but will be going by land. Is there food and drink available at Chileno or just at Medano? We do like to snorkel so am interested if snorkeling is good at Medano or just at Chileno?

Thank you. I know this thread is now a couple of years old, so if someone has any current information on a private driver, I would be interested,

I did the water taxi once and I did have difficulty getting off of it. I needed a lot of help. I also would not be able to get into one from the water. I would like to go to Medano or Chileno Beach next year when we are there, but will be going by land. Is there food and drink available at Chileno or just at Medano? We do like to snorkel so am interested if snorkeling is good at Medano or just at Chileno?

Thank you. I know this thread is now a couple of years old, so if someone has any current information on a private driver, I would be interested,

Chileno is a lot better beach to snorkel (actually, Medano is not a beach that I would recommend snorkeling on!) Chileno has no food or beverages, other than what you might buy off of one of the locals. You might look into one of the local boat excursions. You can board at the Marina, have a great boat ride, a "decent" lunch, and an open bar. They will stop at Chileno, and provide masks and fins. Not a bad way to spend the day. We use Cabo Escape (several times now) and our kids and grandkids love it. Did I mention the open bar? :)

If you decide upon Medano, I would just grab a cab near the cruise docks.

Lots of them. Spend the day having fun, cold beverages, and really good (and inexpensive food.) When you are done having fun, just grab a land cab back to the Marina. There are dozens of great cantinas on Medano. Just wander along the beach until you see one that you like!